Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: careers in fashion design

careers in fashion design

hey, how many of u r thinkin of goin on n studyin fashion and textiles design at uni/tafe/college?
    p.s. we'v gotta get mo ppl on this forum!

has a fetish 4 handcuffs mizz_smee's Avatar
    HSC
    i know the textiles forum is dead...
    i am thinking of it but i doubt u i'll get into the UTS
    but i am thinking of going to tafe
    i don't want to be a fashion designer
    i want to be a costume designer

there arn't that many courses around to do it though
    *~MErRyDeaTH~*

Cadet
    i was looking at heaps of courses for theatrical costume design when i was appyling for uni...theres no way ill get into uts, and the only other course i found that was suitable was at qut, though it wasnt really what i wanted, and it had a quota of 20...though theres quite a few courses at unis in nz, if anyones desperate - actually, it seems like theres more there.

i came to terms with the fact that it was only a nice dream (designing costumes all my life and getting pain for it!) and that im not that good anyway, so i figured i can do it on the side of some history or languages job.

anyone else? btw, does anyone know the quota of b. of design in fashion design as uts?

HSC
    last year u needed a UAI of 90.2 to get into
    the UTS fashion design course
    *~MErRyDeaTH~*

Cadet
    sorry, i wasn't very clear in my post...whats the quota for the course at uts, like how many people get in. i know that at qut it was only 20, according to this years qtac book.

HSC
    N/A
    A lot of costume designers can go straight into the work if they know contacts - for example, there's a lot of dance costume companies that are family-owned, and where the designers/costume makers have no formal fashion design qualifications.

NIDA's course is apparently good, but you need a portfolio of past work.

If you want to do costume design as opposed to fashion design, then I'd probably try to do it the working way rather than studying way, but that's just me- a couple of my friends did Fashion Design (one in COFA, the other in Sydney or something? Something with a UAI of 96 for 2003) and one dropped out after half a year because she couldn't stand it anymore - 300 sketches a week! The other one loves it though, she's the one that wants to work under Akira or someone like that.

Cadet
    I will be next year! Either at UTS or East Sydney depending what i get into !

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by natstar
    B Design in Fashion and Textile Design
    University of Technology - Sydney - City
    F
    H

B Design in Fashion and Textile Design
    University of Technology - Sydney - City
    F
    I
    wat the difference between the two?
    what does the H and I stand for?
    *~MErRyDeaTH~*

HSC
    I'm going to FBI Fashion College next year to do the Cert 4 in Fashion Design and Industry practices. I wanna see whether or not i like design or marketing/visua merchandising better. I can't decide. I also wanna get a job in the industry next year too, so hopefully these guys can help. After that I might go onto study full time, or get a good job as a Design assistant.

Also, there is another college that offers fashion design which is La Salle Design Institute.

PM me if you have any other suggestions etc.

Wink

i got accepted into whitehouse college where i will be doing a 4 year course in diploma of fashion and textiles aswell as B education in TD in conjunction with Southern Cross University

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by chantelle 993
    i got accepted into whitehouse college where i will be doing a 4 year course in diploma of fashion and textiles aswell as B education in TD in conjunction with Southern Cross University
    THAT SOUNDS AWSOM!!! I HAV ALWAYS DREAMT OF GOIN THERE BUT NEVER GOT AROUND TO DOIN MY PORTFOLIO, HOW DID U LAY URS OUT AND WAT KIND OF STUFF DID U PUT IN? IM GOIN ON EXCHANGE NEXT YEAR BUT WAS THINKING IF MAKIN A PORTFOLIO WHILE I WAS AWAY AND THEN TRYING NEXT YEAR
    ANY HINTS>?????

Smile

thanx natstar. cause i really wasn't sure about it. i love TD but there is no chance im going to get a UAI of 90.3 to go to uni and was contemplating whether to do something else at uni or go to the college.

Wink

i put a collage of wat represents me and my life, then i did a forecast of summer 2005 trends, i put lots of sketches in different mediums e.g charcoal, inks, watercolour, oils then i put in pictures of my major work and other things i have made and bought in samples of my work and beading and fabric decoration samples. make the pages different, unique to show of your creativity. i even put in samples of poems i wrote to show my creativity. i hope this helps.

Cadet
    obviously ive been to neither, but why do you think that natstar? most uni courses have similar acceptance criteria to private colleges (with the exception of uts) and pretty small class quotas, as far as i can find out, so theyre very competitive. i cant imagine the courses themselves differ a great deal, maybe apart from the methods they approach how they teach - i guess uni might be a more academic approach, but the private providers have hefty academic workloads as well, it seems. any other important aspects ive missed out, because they dont seem to be too distant from one another?

HSC
    aww thats awesome! i wanted to go to whitehouse for that course with the B education but wasnt willing to fork out $75 000 in fees... lol

i wanted to do fashion design since year 9 and in year 10 i did work experience at Carla Zampatti.. but ive developed a passionate hate for the fashion industry and all and i dont think its worth competing for from my perspective so hopefully next year ill get into ACU and become a textiles teacher! lol and hopefully one day ill put my own ex teacher to shame cos she was a load of bull...

Cadet
    from what i've heard east sydney is definitely one of the best
    they have good contacts, repuatation & good success rate - akira, zimmermann, mad cortes, lisa ho, michelle jank, alex perry, alexandra nea, leona edmiston, thys collective, marnie skillings, rebecca dawson etc etc etc and that's just off the top of my head!

HSC
    yeah i have heard of more people recently that are coming from East Sydney rather then private colleges such as the white house... look at Sass and Bide they didn't have any fashion training at all
    *~MErRyDeaTH~*

Red face

i dont think it matters were you go as long as you are creative with unique innovative designs with a natural eye for fashion your going to do good in the industry

> Bump ! Hhmm, old thread!

Just wondering how those who chose Fashion Design related courses are doing? How are you liking the particular course and/or place of study you chose? If anyone selected their course at a TAFE Institute, how are you finding it?

I am looking into doing the Diploma of Fashion (Textiles Clothing Footwear) at TAFE which starts next year... just wondering if there is anyone here who has taken/or is taking this course and how have they found it? Thanks !
    "Quotes are nothing but inspiration for the uninspired."

-Richard Kemph

Corcovado parted the sky
    And through the darkness
    On us he shined
    Crucified in stone
    Still his blood is my own
    Glory behold all my eyes have seen
    Have seen

I am blessed
    I am blessed
    I am blessed
    I am blessed
    I am blessed to be a witness

HSC

jobs in fashion

i know this sounds pretty obvious .. but if your like me and want to get into fahsion after school ... my teacher suggested that when going to interviews and you need a portfolio, make sure you keep all the assessments you have done in class. i have been coming 1st in textiles since year 9, so each time i complete another assessment task, especially now in year 11 .. i take fotos of each garment, but put all my portfolios in another portfolio for me to have for future interviews. Its the best idea coz i like to work to the highest standard n it pays off with the marks .. so for people in year 11 that want to get into textiles .. keep all your assessments to bring to a interview ..

hope i could help =) seeyaz!

FaShIoNiStA
    HSC
    i know after schoool i want to go to FBI FAshion colege just looking at the course for business and fashion it is so interesting i just wanted to do it !11 ii even contemplated droping out and doing the course as soon as possible ...!!!
    Basicalllly what my teacher and friends told me is that you have to have patience for this job and to be in this type of industry Allll designers are not young so if you think it may take you ten yrs to actuallly make it!!!!!!! starting from the bottom is the way to go in this industry if u have no fooots in the dooor .... but if u have pasion for fashion '!!!!!!!!!!!!! so lame you willl make it in any aspect or role!!!!!!!! oh by the way i would love to be a stylist or own my own boutique or work in a fashion mag !!!!! i have dreams dreams.

"clothes are what you wear and fashion is how you wear it"
    ***FASHIONISTA***

all i want is a 70.00
    if i get 69.95 ill be pissed
    if i get 70.05 ill be pissed

Cadet
    HSC
    I want to do fashion design but i still dont know where, I am thinking either East Sydney or CIT.
    CIT (Canberra Institute of Technology) is a good place to look at, they actually offer a Bachelor degree in Fashion design whereas at East Sydney you get an advanced diploma. I went to their open day last year and I was really impressed by the facility - really big, purpose built workrooms and office space for designing - the third year students are able to each have their own office cubicle and set it up with inspiration boards etc. they also seem to have pretty good CAD facilities. I would really like to go there but there is the lure of the big bright lights of sydney making the decision a little harder... plus East Sydney's excellent reputation and alumni.
    But I think in creative industries like arts, fashion or entertainment, your success will be more based on you individual talent and creativity, your drive, who you know and being in the right place at the right time. it doesnt so much depend on the type of qualification you have or where you got it.

HSC

Smile

hey pplz
    i m a first year student doing fashion design at CIT........they offer a great course.........the teacher are great ........i m loving it...although like any other fashion course at any other place they do make you work hard and it is a very demanding course........but you learn SO MUCH.....i m really happy that i chose to study here..........and then again for those who r confused abt where to study fashion at then end of the day it is about how much u r willing to put in and if you give 100%....no matter where you are you will be successful!

FaShIoNiStA
    HSC

Re: careers in fashion design

this thread is gone yet if anyone reads this and has made it into any of the fashion schol please let me know as i want to do it after school yet im so confused becuase all the course look goood!!!!!!!!
    ***FASHIONISTA***

all i want is a 70.00
    if i get 69.95 ill be pissed
    if i get 70.05 ill be pissed

HSC

Re: careers in fashion design

has anyone taken the fashion design course at ultimo? cert or diploma? how is it?? do you get to do a fashion show at the end of the year? coz im debating with that or KVB but i noticed alot of employers dont know what KVB is... pls help!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information