B Education (Secondary: Mathematics)/B Science (1 Viewer)

Bigandy88

HSC
Is anyone doing this course this year. Interested to know what subjects you've chosen for this

AlvinCY

HSC
LoL.

I'm in Second year, does that count? Anyway, I'm a mentor for the first years for this degree, so if you have any questions with course structures, feel free to PM me.

Lego

P

psychokitten

can u do this course if you have just done 2U maths and not extension?

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Highly unlikely. The arts/science side of the degree is merely here to help you with your teaching degree, so you're learning everything you'll teach. If you look at the structure of the B Edu/B arts/science degree, there should be a list of science degrees you can take.

However in first year, you have "extra" arts/science credit points so you can take psychology but you can't major in it or anything. Sorry if this is a bit confusing.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
jayadore said:
Highly unlikely. The arts/science side of the degree is merely here to help you with your teaching degree, so you're learning everything you'll teach. If you look at the structure of the B Edu/B arts/science degree, there should be a list of science degrees you can take.
*reinforcing what you teach. im certainly not gonna be teaching kids about pericyclic reactions.

boredusb

HSC
you can do double maths or maths + science , so if you want to be only a maths teacher you and if you want to be a maths and science you can do that too

knockii

Head spinning too much, can't find my bearings =(
HSC
It basically means that you'd be doing maths as a single teaching subject, rather than coupled with another.

So in response to your original question, yes, you choose this course to become a qualified maths teacher, and no, it is not necessary to know the science bit.

Going out to get absolutely shattered, so I don't have time to explain fully. Though you can have a look here, make sure you look at the handbook as well.

x_symphonic

HSC
ooo thanks for the info above people. I learnt something new today ^_^

Jelly1987

HSC
Uni Grad
can u do this course if you have just done 2U maths and not extension?
Having already completed this degree, you can still do this course even if you have only done 2 unit maths in HS. However, you will find the normal level maths difficult as the lecturers assume you know ext 1 maths. Work hard and you should be fine.

Remember there are bridging courses you could take if you're worried that 2 unit maths is not enough. Better ask the faculty of science for more information on that (the education faculty won't be able to help you much on that).

Astro551

HSC
Having already completed this degree.
How'd you find the degree? I'm just finished UNSW 1st Year (BEd/BSci (Mathematics)) and sad to say having second thoughts. I still enjoy the idea of becoming a teacher but the maths in 2nd/3rd year looks like it gets ridiculously hard. I did 3U at High School, but it seems like Uni maths will reach a whole 'nother level. Even stupider it seems that you will be primarily teaching basic arithmetic and algebra when you start work as opposed to bloody eigenvalues and vector spaces so I'm like wat.....

I wish the Education and Mathematics components worked more in sync with each other, was talking to a friend in 3rd year and he is saying something along the same lines (he wished he had picked Biology rather instead).

EDIT: awks I just realised I was in the USYD part of the forum lol. but yeah is the degree much different there?

kimjuliana

HSC
How'd you find the degree? I'm just finished UNSW 1st Year (BEd/BSci (Mathematics)) and sad to say having second thoughts. I still enjoy the idea of becoming a teacher but the maths in 2nd/3rd year looks like it gets ridiculously hard. I did 3U at High School, but it seems like Uni maths will reach a whole 'nother level. Even stupider it seems that you will be primarily teaching basic arithmetic and algebra when you start work as opposed to bloody eigenvalues and vector spaces so I'm like wat.....

I wish the Education and Mathematics components worked more in sync with each other, was talking to a friend in 3rd year and he is saying something along the same lines (he wished he had picked Biology rather instead).

EDIT: awks I just realised I was in the USYD part of the forum lol. but yeah is the degree much different there?
What's first year at UNSW like for your teaching degree? Is it really that bad?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)