Arts/Education at USYD or UNSW (1 Viewer)

annagrace42

HSC
I am a law student at UTS but want to transfer next year into a BEd/BA. Is USYD or UNSW a better option? I've read some negative stuff re the UNSW degree but most of it is from at least a few years ago... and the USyd course is an extra year... I've also heard talk that UNSW does drama/performance better than USyd..? Any insight into what the Usys course is REALLY like would be heaps appreciated... Cheers

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Mega late reply and I'm not sure if your question is still relevant, but its better to be safe than sorry!

So, obviously I'm going to say USyd's Arts/Edu degree trumphs the UNSW one because
1) our Arts faculty is ranked much higher than the UNSW one
2) we have a much broader range of units to select from
3) Starting 2012, all secondary education students will be required to study the full five years, at least according to one of my professors from 2011.

Otherwise, the Arts/Edu is surprisingly rigid and structured as you get further and further into the degree. This basically means you don't have much freedom to choose which education units you want to pursue as you enter second - four year.

Another thing with the USyd degree is that all your education units are prerequisites (pre-reqs are subjects you must complete in order to complete another subject) for the following semester and do not repeat in the next semester. This means if you fail a subject (e.g. EDUF2001) in semester 1 of 2011, you cannot proceed to the subject EDUF2002 in semester 2 of 2011. Moreover, EDUF2001 will not be available for you to retake in semester 2 of 20011. You actually need to wait until semester 1 of 2012 to retake the course. In other words, you'll be a complete year behind.

Anyway, although the USyd degree sounds really hard, it's actually not and in fact, rather enjoyable (bar some stupid core subjects in first year - in fact, all of first year is super super important but you don't realise this until third or fourth year). You also get three practicums in USyd. This is where you become a student-teacher in the classroom. Obviously, they're crucial to helping you develop a teaching sense and realise your teaching style. This is why USyd always had 5 years instead of 4 years, because in the 5th year of the degree, you go on a 7 week practicum (called an "internship") where you no longer need to be supervised in the classroom. UNSW doesn't offer anything so extensive. Just make sure you nail the pacticums because if you fail, its the same as failing a subject and you'll need to repeat it!

HSC
Uni Grad
Mega late reply and I'm not sure if your question is still relevant, but its better to be safe than sorry!

So, obviously I'm going to say USyd's Arts/Edu degree trumphs the UNSW one because
1) our Arts faculty is ranked much higher than the UNSW one
2) we have a much broader range of units to select from
3) Starting 2012, all secondary education students will be required to study the full five years, at least according to one of my professors from 2011.

Otherwise, the Arts/Edu is surprisingly rigid and structured as you get further and further into the degree. This basically means you don't have much freedom to choose which education units you want to pursue as you enter second - four year.

Another thing with the USyd degree is that all your education units are prerequisites (pre-reqs are subjects you must complete in order to complete another subject) for the following semester and do not repeat in the next semester. This means if you fail a subject (e.g. EDUF2001) in semester 1 of 2011, you cannot proceed to the subject EDUF2002 in semester 2 of 2011. Moreover, EDUF2001 will not be available for you to retake in semester 2 of 20011. You actually need to wait until semester 1 of 2012 to retake the course. In other words, you'll be a complete year behind.

Anyway, although the USyd degree sounds really hard, it's actually not and in fact, rather enjoyable (bar some stupid core subjects in first year - in fact, all of first year is super super important but you don't realise this until third or fourth year). You also get three practicums in USyd. This is where you become a student-teacher in the classroom. Obviously, they're crucial to helping you develop a teaching sense and realise your teaching style. This is why USyd always had 5 years instead of 4 years, because in the 5th year of the degree, you go on a 7 week practicum (called an "internship") where you no longer need to be supervised in the classroom. UNSW doesn't offer anything so extensive. Just make sure you nail the pacticums because if you fail, its the same as failing a subject and you'll need to repeat it!
All UNSW Secondary Education students require 4 years. So for those who are reading this, and thinking of wanting to leave uni earlier, then UNSW would be the better option. Also, UNSW does placements in 3rd year, so you get the work experience quite early. Not sure about USYD though, but I think it's 3rd or 4th year.

Jelly1987

HSC
Uni Grad
Practicums starts in 3rd year at USYD. Although I've heard they go into school for observations in 2nd year now. Not sure, best to ask the faculty of education about that.

katejones

HSC
Nortredam gives more prac days than most other unis. Although Sydney has a very good reputation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)