Laptops for BEdu(Maths)/BSci. (1 Viewer)

nml10

HSC
Uni Grad
I am enrolling for BEdu(Maths)/BSci this year and I was wondering if I should bring a laptop to my lectures.. Would it be better off with paper and pen or laptops?

Thanks in advance to those who reply.
:)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Paper and pen.

Not sure about the Education Component but for the Maths lectures, a laptop would be useless unless you can type LaTeX at superfast speeds.

Very good to see a fellow student aspiring to be a Mathematics teacher.

Peeik

HSC
Hey, you're doing my degree!!!!

I used pen and paper throughout my degree for both my edu and math/sci units. You really dont need a laptop.

nml10

HSC
Uni Grad
Peeik - NICE! xD If you don't mind, could you tell me how difficult this course is in comparison to the HSC itself?

Carrotsticks - Too good to be a mathematics teacher? :p

Peeik

HSC
Peeik - NICE! xD If you don't mind, could you tell me how difficult this course is in comparison to the HSC itself?
It depends of which units you are doing. Tell me the names of the units your are doing for sem 1?

nml10

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing..
Education, Teachers and Teaching
Chemistry 1A
Physics Regular
and the two basic maths.

I was thinking of doing the higher levels of maths because I did well in my extension subjects. However, I chose not to because of the GPA. Is there such thing as "scaling" in university as well?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I was thinking of doing the higher levels of maths because I did well in my extension subjects. However, I chose not to because of the GPA. Is there such thing as "scaling" in university as well?
Do them. It's rewarding. Did you do Extension 2 Mathematics?

Peeik

HSC
I'm doing..
Education, Teachers and Teaching
Chemistry 1A
Physics Regular
and the two basic maths.

EDUF1018 - easy and boring haha
Chem1A - if you like chem then easy
Physics - compared to hsc physics it is significantly harder. Theres a steep learning curve but once you get use to it, it becomes enjoyable.
Math 1001 - fun
Math 1002 - fun

Scaling only exists in your math and science units. But in saying that it doesn't hamper your chances of getting a HD if you chose the normal units. For your education units, theres no scaling at all.

If you talk to sandra britton (coordinator of first year maths) she will tell you there's no point in doing adv math units. You still can if you want to satisfy your own curiosity. To give you an indication, no one in my year did adv maths even though they got E4s in MX1 and MX2. But the choice is yours.

There's really no need to worry about GPA unless you want to transfer into another course or uni. If you want to eventually do honours in education (in the 4th year) your average mark for all your education units up until 4th year must be above 70. So there's really no need to worry about GPA. Btw, i think usyd uses WAM.

Peeik

HSC
In that case, perhaps you should've done adv units. The only difference is you may eventually be able to complete the Bachelor of Education (Secondary: Mathematics)/Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) degree. But whether you decide to pick adv units doesnt hurt your employment opportunities.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's so nice to see so many awesome BOSers becoming maths/science teachers :) Hope my future offspring can get awesome teachers like you guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)