Bachelor of Education (Secondary: Humanities and Social Sciences)/Bachelor of Arts (1 Viewer)

gwemma88

HSC
Howdy...

Is anyone doing the Bachelor of Education (Secondary: Humanities and Social Sciences)/Bachelor of Arts course at sydney.

Whats it like? How come it is 5 years when other uni's have similar at only 4 years.

Has anyone completed it and actually teaching english/history now? That's what i want to end up doing and still looking at my options. Is sydney the place for me?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Hi,

The best people to direct this question to would be jhakka or grk_styl as they both do this course. PM them if they don't respond to this thread directly.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Hey there...

my degree is slightly different to the B ed/b Arts course. Where you guys do the second teaching subject, I do psychology.

lets back-track a little.
the B Ed/B Arts enables you to complete two degrees - one in education and one in arts. In first year for example, you choose 6 arts subjects and you are given 2 education subjects over the whole year. so that's 4 subjects a semester. With this degree, you end up being able to teach the humanities/art: english, history (ancient and modern), drama, economics, religion, art, i think you can do music, and you can also teach languages. You major in one subject and your second subject is your minor. Thus, you are qualified to teach two subjects.

Practicals for you guys start in year 3 (correct me if I'm wrong) although I think you may do a small bit of practical in second year.

Whats it like?
It's a great degree. Ed is really fun. lol the B Arts allows u to be very flexible in the subjects you choose. I know someone doing an Anthropology subject but they're not going to teach it! You can do subjects purely out of interest. You can do a semester of Italian and not teach it. B Arts is fantastic. Plus, if you don't like the ed, you can drop it and you have the arts degree.

How come it is 5 years when other uni's have similar at only 4 years.
I think USYD does a lot more pracs...and our pracs are more spread out. I know 5 yrs may seem like a drag, but hey, why does one extra year differ?

Has anyone completed it and actually teaching english/history now? That's what i want to end up doing and still looking at my options.
well i haven't completed it :p i've just finished my first year. to be honest, i doubted my decision. i contemplated doing law, and then physio, and then psychology, and then law again, and settled back into teaching. i feel like ive left my options wide open by doing this degree. Just because you do an ed/arts degree, it doesn't mean you have to be a teacher! It's great to have degrees up your sleeve, incase you decide at any stage in ur life. The best part about teaching is holidays! lol it's very flexible, you can go on maternity leave etc haha

Is sydney the place for me?
i also doubted this. my brother, cousins and all my friends from high school went to Macquarie, and I went on my lonesome self to USYD. I hated it. it was terrible. but now, man i LOVE it! i don't even wanna have holidays lol usyd is bloody fantastic - well Uni is what YOU make of it. so if u dont wanna get involved with the social life, then uni is going to drag on forever. but if u get involved, u have the time of ur life.

yes there are other unis who do the b arts/ b ed. i know UNSW has nida, so u can focus on drama if thats what u want to teach. go to the uni open days and ask them why u should attend their uni. they'll sell their uni like it's a friggin car, but that's ok. get a feel of all the unis. i havent been to new south so i can't tell u why usyd is better. i heard from the grapevine that usyd has the better education faculty. my mum works in the school system, and she's been told that usyd graduates are more likely to get jobs first year out of uni than any other uni.

if u want to ask any other questions, go for it.
jhakka does your exact degree (and i think a few other members on the forum) so they might be able to help you out a bit more, as my degree differs

company_sin

HSC
Yeah, it's a good degree. I'll post more of a response tomorrow (or pm you even)

I just wanted to post to say that I met Jhakka yesterday (before English). I was the guy sitting with Bill... eating like a trojan!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
company_sin said:
Yeah, it's a good degree. I'll post more of a response tomorrow (or pm you even)

I just wanted to post to say that I met Jhakka yesterday (before English). I was the guy sitting with Bill... eating like a trojan!
:eek: u know bill? lol
then you've probably seen me too!

company_sin

HSC
Who are you?

I'm good friends with the whole Bill, Danni, Kat and Simon group!

Have you seen them in Manning anytime this week? If so, I would've been with them.

If you go to the edu lectures you may recognise me. I have too much hair and tend to wear a lot of hippie jewellery mixed with excessively spiky jewellery and ridiculous socks.

Last edited:

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Company_sin... Mark?! LOL! Now that's funny, and also, the Bill Dannii Kat and Simon group are famous!! lol.

In answer to your question gwemma, Yes, you can do English History teaching, my old History teacher did so and one of my friends is doing so right now. It's a fantastic degree and great atmosphere, you always have such a wide variety of subjects and people to meet, that's why I love it so much!!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
company_sin said:
Who are you?

I'm good friends with the whole Bill, Danni, Kat and Simon group!

Have you seen them in Manning anytime this week? If so, I would've been with them.

If you go to the edu lectures you may recognise me. I have too much hair and tend to wear a lot of hippie jewellery mixed with excessively spiky jewellery and ridiculous socks.
and that weapon around your arm :p

bahahahaha MARK! oh dear this is freakin scary.

J

jhakka

company_sin said:

Haha, omg. Hi Mark. :D

EDIT: Will do a nice reply about the course in the next couple of days. I have to eventually make a pretence of studying for tomorrow.

company_sin

HSC
Grk style, you seem to know my 'weapon' (which is actually a form of fortification for public transport).

Have I spoken to you or know you?

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
you spaz....im the one who TOLD u ur fork is classed as a weapon lol :p after a few too many vodkas/beers on wednesday arvo, and terribly fattening hot chips and the disgusting vegetarian burger u tried to eat!

wizard146

HSC
So can you do only one major as a teaching area or do you have to do two? Like in first year, could i study:
-Compulsory education units
-History units as a teaching area
-a language but not as a teaching area
-another random subject but not as a teaching area
Would I be allowed to do that, and so only graduate with one major/ teaching area?

Madstar

B Arts/B Edu

Do you think that the UAI cut off for this combined degree at sydney will stay at 83.10? I hope it doesnt jump higher or i'm going to be so upset!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
wizard146 said:
So can you do only one major as a teaching area or do you have to do two? Like in first year, could i study:
-Compulsory education units
-History units as a teaching area
-a language but not as a teaching area
-another random subject but not as a teaching area
Would I be allowed to do that, and so only graduate with one major/ teaching area?
You must graduate with a Major teaching area (ur main one) and a Minor teaching area (ur second one).
and yes i'm pretty sure u can do those subjects in first year. but in 2nd year it gets more specific, and u must have minor and major teaching areas.

Mikkiemoo said:
Do you think that the UAI cut off for this combined degree at sydney will stay at 83.10? I hope it doesnt jump higher or i'm going to be so upset!
considering it has decreased every year i doubt it'll go higher. it depends on the demand i guess. between 2004 and 2005 it went from 88 to 83 which is a massive drop! just cross ur fingers and hope for the best :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thats cause they're coming to mq :p

philly17

I do BA dip ed at macq. Its good u do one education subject a term then the rest subjects related to your major and minor. I'm doing history as major and society and culture and legal studies as my minor. You should also think about macq for teaching its 4 yrs and cheaper than usyd lol

Madstar

Thanks grk_styl, haha you've helped me so much!!! :) Just another thing, out of interest, about how many 'contact' hours does a BA/BEd student have per week, on average? I guess it must vary depending on subjects and what have you, but whats a pretty normal timetable like? I'm asking, also, because i've got a reeeaaalllyy well paying job atm, and i want to see if it'll be worth their while if i stay on during uni too, even if the hours must be a little more flexible around my timetable...

thanks so much :)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
BA/BE contact hours are usually anywhere between 12-15 depending on your subjects. i didnt get a day off in first semester first year, but that was coz i had psychology. every BA/BE kid i knew had fridays off lol

in both semesters i was at uni 1-3 hours everyday. which isn't very much at all! but i don't know if u'd be able to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)