Where do you want your degree to take you? (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
:wave: Hi everyone, just thought I'd ask the question - what do you want to do after your Arts degree? What job and/or postgrad area do you intend to move into?

Myself, I'm thinking translation or teaching or becoming a proffesional writer - and I probably will do some Graduate Diplomas in Language or Education.

Last edited:

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
i start my bachelor this year - i'm doing arts/law - want to major in political science, so i want to do something for the government (or opposition - if the govt becomes labor) like policy analyst soemthing like that

Aussiechick

HSC
I'm looking to do a postgrad diploma in Education, not sure whether I'll go for primary or high school yet though.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I'll be doing arts (languages) at USYD.

some general options (mostly fantastical)- historian, political analyst, work in government department- preferably international related (DFAT, AUSAID, UN, ASIO), law, writer in media... and if all else fails... dip ed.

dishi

HSC
i got into bachelor of arts at uws and currently im majoring in psychology therefore i have the choice between becoming a primary school teacher or a psychologist or maybe even bothhh!! u neva knoww :wave:

choc-chip

HSC
dishi said:
i got into bachelor of arts at uws and currently im majoring in psychology therefore i have the choice between becoming a primary school teacher or a psychologist or maybe even bothhh!! u neva knoww :wave:
i got into B ARTS/B EDU, tossing n turning btw education and psychology as well
I might try to do both TESOL n psychology to decide which one i'll enjoy more.
Oh yea, I've done adult education in UWS last yr, it was pretty boring.

dishi

HSC
welll yeh its always gud to have choices see i really wanted to primary education like last year but the uai for primary education at syd uni was way higher den ma uai....so now that i got into bachelor of arts i have a wide range choices u know whereas if id gone into primary education straight away id have to do primary education...so yeh dats the brighter side to it i guess

besides psychology is one of the fields dat always got me interested so y not go for it? :)

choc-chip

HSC
dishi said:
welll yeh its always gud to have choices see i really wanted to primary education like last year but the uai for primary education at syd uni was way higher den ma uai....so now that i got into bachelor of arts i have a wide range choices u know whereas if id gone into primary education straight away id have to do primary education...so yeh dats the brighter side to it i guess

besides psychology is one of the fields dat always got me interested so y not go for it? :)

career opportunity wise, education is a betta choice.
one of my psychologist family frd goes to me "u need a bit more social experience to ace in psychology". it gets me to think of doin it lata in yrs.
neways, dunno, c what it happens

dishi

HSC
well yeh i totally agree and dats y im planning on getting ma degree on primary education first and hopefully wen i start working ill probably do ma honours in psychology which goes for an extra year as part time and finish dat off too...dat way i can even become a school counsellar wif some experience in the teaching field....dnt knoww lol u just gotta go wif the flow i guess :)

wat did u wanna do?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
To be honest, I still don't really know what I want to do - and I'm already in my 3rd year. eek.

I've been building up a portfolio and taking note of pretty much ALL the new media companies in sydney, so I'll see if I can land a job in the industry. If that fails, I dunno, I hope I'll just fall into something.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I'm hoping for a job in a supermarket. It should be fun!

choc-chip

HSC
dishi said:
well yeh i totally agree and dats y im planning on getting ma degree on primary education first and hopefully wen i start working ill probably do ma honours in psychology which goes for an extra year as part time and finish dat off too...dat way i can even become a school counsellar wif some experience in the teaching field....dnt knoww lol u just gotta go wif the flow i guess :)

wat did u wanna do?
wow...datz a great idea dishi!
well, i thought of doing everthing like commerce, design, media, later on, i realised they don't really suit me aft considering their competitiveness.

Btw, is there know the differences between B arts(psychology) and B psychology?
In my understanding, a clinical psychologist is both qualify in precribing some particular medine and consoulling;where a student graduated from B Arts (psychology) is mainly for counselling. Is that ture?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
choc-chip said:
wow...datz a great idea dishi!
well, i thought of doing everthing like commerce, design, media, later on, i realised they don't really suit me aft considering their competitiveness.

Btw, is there know the differences between B arts(psychology) and B psychology?
In my understanding, a clinical psychologist is both qualify in precribing some particular medine and consoulling;where a student graduated from B Arts (psychology) is mainly for counselling. Is that ture?
Someone with a 3 year degree majoring in psychology(ie a BSc or BA or BSocSci) is basically not qualified to work as a proffessional psychologist - you require the fourth year upgrade (the honours year or postgraduate diploma) to be certified, people who enroll in BPsych have an honours embedded in their course - at this point you can do things like be a school counsellor. If you want to be fully qualified though, you must complete two years worth of Masters or supervised clinical practice after the four years and then you can be a clinical psychologist.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Generator said:
I'm hoping for a job in a supermarket. It should be fun!
Mong! You beat me to it! However...

I'm hoping my Arts degree takes me to Centrelink. :)

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
I'm doing linguistics, so i might become an esl teacher, teaching foreign students english. Or i might continue to do a few extra years for my study and become a speech pathologist. I'm not quite sure yet.

Juliet

HSC
I would like my social work degree to land me a job at DOCS. Working in Child Protection.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
B Media in Multimedia couple with a Grad Dip Ed in Ancient/English.

Hopefully this'll take me either teaching in Australia with a part-time media job or in Japan teaching english and with a part time media job. :D

turtleface

HSC
poloktim said:
Mong! You beat me to it! However...

I'm hoping my Arts degree takes me to Centrelink. :)
lol so harsh...i'm sure there are many rewarding careers out of arts like becoming a psychologist, teacher etc. There are some top executives, politicians etc that have arts degrees too.

Actually, one of the partners (Social Commentator/Demographer Bernard Salt if you've heard of him on the news or magazines) at the accounting firm I'm at, has an Arts degree (MA i think) and Big 4 Accounting Firm partners earn about $600,000-$1.5 million each. He'd probably earn close to 2, because he's head of a department.

Though I'm sure money is not everyone's sole motivator, you can still get some good money with arts

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Juliet said:
I would like my social work degree to land me a job at DOCS. Working in Child Protection.
If you want to work in Child Protection, don't go to DoCS - they are useless fucks. If you want to work in Child Protection as a social worker, work in Community Health or, if you want Just Child Protection, go for the Child Protection Unit at the Kids Hospital.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)