where should i go for advertising? (1 Viewer)

tango_58

HSC
hey everyone,

i'm currently in yr 12 and next year i'd like to go to uni and study something along the lines of advertising, but i'm not sure which course would be the best.

any recomendations for uni's and their courses would be greatly appreciated.

thankyou.

Optophobia

HSC
send a message to a user called "natstar". She does B. Business (marketing) and could tell you about it.

=smashly=

HSC
HI TANGO!!!..hehe..

well, UTS has some good stuff, as im applying for that. Same as macquarie.
but this may be a bit bias as those are the unis im looking at which include advertising. (im interested in that also, same as PR).
hopefully ill c u there one day. or 2moro even! mwahah.

hehehe

xx

HSC
N/A
Look into UTS's B. Arts (Communication - Public Communication) and Charles Sturt's B. Advertising (or combined B. Advertising/B. Marketing... if you're interested in marketing at all). They are both excellent.

juni

juni
HSC
Advertising is a vast field and the AFA (Australian Federation of Advertising) is a good site that divdes the major fields of advertising :) Have a look.
http://www.afa.org.au/public/content/ViewCategory.aspx?id=736

As for me I want to work in the 'creative' side of advertising as an art director which recommends studies in visual communication/graphic arts hence I chose UTS Bachelor of Design in Visual Communication as uts design has the best reputation.

Bachelor of Arts in Communication (Public Communication) at UTS is also famous for launching careers as advertising copywriters, advertising account managers etc.

These courses also have strong industry links which is great.
However due to the pretige of the course they are highly popular with very high uai cut-offs for a creative arts degree :eek: (It can be anywhere from early 90s to higher 90s) So study hard and open up as many opportunities as possible and good luck :)

You can also do a Bachelor of commerce/business with a major in advertising :)

Last edited:

sweet-g

HSC
I too was in the same shoes as you.

It depends really on what side on advertising you really want to get into.

First theres the creative side:
- Bachelor of Visual Communication at UTS
- Bachelor of Design at UNSW, COFA
- Bachelor of Design (Visual Communcation) UWS

Also on the creative side, but not taking part in the actual draw up and design of the Ad, is the people who direct the ad campaign. For this you should attend:
- Bachelor of Communication (Public Communication) and choose advertising for your major instead of Public Relations.

Finally, theres the people who actually direct the advertising campaigns and deals with businesses for the ads. For this you would have to do a Business or Commerce Degree with a Major in Marketing.
- Bachelor of Business UTS
- Bachelor of Commerce UNSW
- Bachelor of Commerce USYD
- Theres plenty more such as MACQ, UWS etc..
I personally would recomend UTS and do a major in Advertisng and Promotions, since their the only Uni that offers that major.

Well, hope that helps and gluck for ur HSC !!

msh

HSC
well i'm hopin to transfer from UWS to UTS Design in Visual communication and then sub major in advertising and get into the 'creative side' of advertising :D the fun side.

poppop

HSC
N/A
I also say UTS for their Bachelor of Design in Visual Communication or Bachelor of communication inPublic Communication

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
hmm yeah i've been considering advertising too, but i was thinking about the copywriting side of it.
basically i'm considering it cos i like the kind of stuff that gets done in english regarding advertising, but is that relevant to any sort of job out there or is it just crap you do at school and that's it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)