Studying Shakespeare (1 Viewer)

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
Okay, hopefully next year I'll get the chance to study English Literature at university. One of the first year units is on Shakespeare (and playwrights in those earlier eras). Now, I'm not adverse to studying these works, however, I do take awhile before understanding what the play is trying to say. The only work of Shakespeare I've studied is Macbeth. Despite this, I do want to learn more about Shakespeare and once I "got" Macbeth, I really loved it.

My question is: am I going to have difficulties in this course next year given that I'm really inexperienced when it comes to Shakespeare? Any advice would also be great. Thanks :)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Eriny said:
My question is: am I going to have difficulties in this course next year given that I'm really inexperienced when it comes to Shakespeare? Any advice would also be great. Thanks :)
It shouldn't be too difficult for you to cope with Shakespeare as it will most likely be an introductory unit. However as university subjects move at a quicker pace than highschool ones you may want to make sure you're at least familiar with how poetic and theatrical techniques work before jumping unprepared into study of Shakespeare.

katrea

HSC
I did it this year and would reccomend it. If you don't get it, don't be shy. The tutor is willing to practically spell it out to some students sometimes. I enjoyed it and learnt beyond Shakespeare in my understanding.

However, with that said, it's not always for everyone so if you're not willing to put the time (like me), you might be a little on the edge (like me).

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
Thank-you kami and katrea. That's really reassuring. I'm going to read some relevant things over the holidays and hopefully get some idea of what I'm doing. It'll probably be a challenge, but I'm sure there will be some support. Thanks again.

company_sin

HSC
If you have a good, firm grasp of English you ought to do fine.

What you do need to watch out for is what someone above me whose username I've since forgotten pointed out: at university, English courses move a breakneck pace! So, you'll not have a whole lot of time to 'get' a play; instead, you'll read the play, have a lecture on in, discuss it in a tutorial, and then move on to the next.

Good luck!

PS - I didn't see where you said you'd be studying, but Usyd offer an excellent unit on Shaxxpeare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)