arts/psych or media and comms? (1 Viewer)

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i'm currently very confused about whether or not i want to do psychology or media and communications, obviously i'll be the one to make that final decision :p but i was just wondering if you guys could give me some advice.

- i want to go to USYD because socially it looks like a very happening place, plus its very easy to access but the UAI for either courses are in the 98 range and in reality, that's very hard to achieve plus i've heard USYD isn't very good for either course

- at UNSW psych is a sciene subject and i don't do maths or science so i might not like it as much but i can do media and coms there for an achievable 83 ish

- UTS appears to have a very good Communications course as well but , well, it's not the most beautiful looking place either

the thing is, is there any way that i can do a degree where , i can sort of have a dabble in both? where i can major in psych somehow yet still be a part of the media side of things so that later i can make a more informed choice and transfer etc? i was thinking that if i really want to go to USYD i could do BA/Social work and that'll lead me in a similar direction to Psych but i'm really not sure.
sorry this is so long but i'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
At USYD you could do BA (Media & Communications) with one of your additional majors as psychology. Though USYD doesn't have the best rep for this (some firms/people in the industry don't even know USYD has a media/comm course) one of the pluses is that you kinda can do both areas.

At UNSW you could do a BDigitalMedia/BSci with a science major in psych, alternatively you could do either BSci (Media & Communications) or BSci in Communications and have a psych major. You should be aware that UNSW's course isn't at all like USYD's or even UTS's - friends of mine who transferred from there to my uni say that it mainly deals with computers and animation in a media context. Their BSci in Comm is the closest they have to a journo degree.

With UTS you can take subjects from other universities for your electives, so you could conceivably do 6 consecutive psych subjects through another university once you completed first year. I don't really see what prettiness has to do with uni as well.

If you're genuinely torn between both then USYD's BA (Media & Communications) seems the best bet - though the UNSW BSci in Communication would be worth a look, as would the UTS BA in Communication.

Another possibility, though I'm not sure whether I'd recommend it, is to tack a BA (Psych) from MQ onto your communication degree - you can add a MQ course to any degree you're currently doing regardless of your current uni.

From what I know about psych, MQ has one of the better programs and it allows room for interest in humanities, as does USYDs. UNSW is more science geared. UTS lacks a psych degree entirely.

Last edited:

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
hey thanks there kami, i realise i've been posting an incredible number of posts these days full of what i'm sure are , pretty basic questions but yeah your input is much appreciated ! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)