What To Do?? (1 Viewer)

M-unit

HSC
hey, im doin my hsc this year and probably going into UNI in 2009.

im intersted in humanities and im currently studying ancient history and english and enjoy both.

so basically, what kind of courses would i be looking at doing at uni, and what kind fo job prospects would i be looking at??

cheers

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i shall join you there, i too am considering prospects related to humanities and yeah i like those subjects too. so lets just sit around and wait for someone with useful info to reply now shall we.
:)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
If you're interested in humanities then your interests will probably come from a humanities course - just check out the handbooks of each faculty from each uni.

As for jobs, well there aren't many specific job opportunities for arts grads - it all depends on your major but basically think the creative arts, communication industries, education, academia, public service, translation, arts management, curatorship or psychology. Though both psych and education have additional requirements.

M-unit

HSC
but do i necessarily have to do an arts degree??

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
well you could become a history/english teacher, but then, you'd have to like teaching so if you do then that's something you could consider.
or you could become a journo/critic
or if you like the media side of things from english then you could look into advertising and other communications things
and thats all i can think of off the top of my head that kami hasn't already said

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
M-unit said:
If you want to focus on humanities then an Arts degree or one of the various offshoots of an Arts degree is probably your best bet.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
M-unit said:
You never really have to do an arts degree - but if your interests are in the humanities then taking a science degree or an engineering degree is kind of pointless. For most of the careers I outlined you don't require a specific degree - just skills and a CV. The obvious exceptions are of course teaching and psychology - both require specific programs.

Also, to be truly frank - every single course in the humanities, creative arts and communication industries is an arts course at the end of the day, it just goes by a different name. So if you're interested in doing humanities then you'll do some kind of arts course whether its called Liberal Arts, Communications or Performance etc. They're just named differently for marketing purposes.

M-unit

HSC
ok well, ive im interested in the journalism/critic area so im thinking a double degree

namely, arts degree majoring in history and a bachelor of communication in journalism

that seems to cover both bases, would you agree??

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
M-unit said:
ok well, ive im interested in the journalism/critic area so im thinking a double degree

namely, arts degree majoring in history and a bachelor of communication in journalism

that seems to cover both bases, would you agree??
Sure - you're doing it at Canberra or Wollongong I presume? If its Wollongong then have you looked at the BA/BJournalism program? That looks quite nifty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)