what are the best degrees for humanities-loving people (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
For all students who are studying a humanities degree at uni like Bachelor of Arts, bachelor of international studies, languages. What type of job prospects are there for humanities students. I love the humanities do all the histories, English, languages, society and culture. But what are the humanities degrees that you can do where there are high chances of employment.
I have spoken to a lot of people including university professors who have honestly stated that doing political science for example has no clear defined career path, it just happens by chance where a job opens and is extremely competitive. I am quite thankful they were being honest as I get so annoyed when all the universities try promoting their subjects and boasting about all the career options when its a degree that you can't use very much.

My cousin who studies political studies at Science Po in Paris and now the London school of economics has advised me not to do political science unless i am extremely passionate as there aren't many set careers and it is difficult to find a job. She advises I pursue Law which has more career options. Are there other options?
I also know a teacher who told me an Arts degree by itself is completely useless unless you want to use it directly through teaching. He says you have to do graduate programs to get somewhere.
I get increasingly annoyed when the most employable degrees and careers are in Maths, IT and science. I know that the health industry is a growing industry in job prospects. Medicine interests me but not at the same level as the humanities. But what about people who aren't scientific?
I know a whole bunch of people who do French studies or are studying a master in public policy that don't know what they want to do.
Journalism also which has been labelled a dead end industry, highly competitive is also another worrying degree. I'm not sure where all those journo students are going to go when their great years at Uni or college are over.

Please help. I need honest opinions from people who do arts degrees or have done arts degrees and have jobs.:)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What industries are you interested in?
What type of work do you want to do?

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
at the moment I would be interested in working for an organisation or overseas. I like to write also. I wouldn't mind travelling also if I can experience a new culture, language. I want a job where I can learn new things.
I thought of Law as an option but I'm not sure. I see that you study economics. what's that like, what types of career options are you thinking of. At Usyd they offer many combined law degrees including science. however I'm unsure what you can do with that.
I'm not sure if I'd like being a lawyer. Maybe a government job in health or education or foreign policy. not really sure, I'm still in high school and only seventeen yet I feel like I'm deciding my direction in life when I haven't really seen the world/ life!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)