Thread: creative writing major

HSC
    N/A

creative writing major

I am interested in majoring in creative writing. Not simply because I want to be a writer, (I do want to become a better writer, and if possible do some freelance writing) but I am also hoping it could propel me into the area of communications, marketing/ advertising copywriter or PR.

Just wanted some thoughts or advice on majoring in creative writing. Like, do you think it is valuable from the perspective that it adds some extra skills like communication, creative thinking, professional writing, advertising copywriter type jobs to your resume.

I can't do a straight communications or advertising degree as I am already studying arts/ law at Macquarie uni, but I was considering studying it as a second major or minor, to strengthen my job prospects and broaden my skillset.

Thanks

HSC
    N/A

Re: creative writing major

So this is a really late reply but since no one has said anything I'll give you my 2c.

At one point I considered majoring in creative writing but decided on English instead. You could minor in it if you want to practice your writing skills. Be aware that creative writing is geared more towards creative and not professional writing meaning most courses will be like workshops for pieces that you write. You'll also have courses from the English faculty that focus on textual analysis of literary work.
    I just looked through Macquarie's creative writing major and it looks to be geared mostly towards screen and stage. There is also an editing and publishing unit offered by the Linguistics department. I actually wanted to suggest linguistics as a major because it often gets overlooked but is really helpful for editing/copywriting/advertising and it's a great complementary major for law. Linguistics teaches you the science behind language (words and their meanings, strength of arguments etc).
    It's up to you, just think it through because a creative writing major will require that you come up with pieces of writing throughout the course.

HSC
    Uni Grad

My first degree was in creative writing and to be honest I haven't used it ever since (I'm talking like 20 years...).
    I would get into professional writing courses - I think Canberra offers one. I think that would be more beneficial for your career goals.
    In creative writing, you major in things like prose or poetry, which are not going to get you a job, I can tell you that now!
    Good luck!

HSC
    N/A

It depends. My major is creative writing and now I mostly work with content at the digital agency, previously worked for news agency. Just ask yourself if it's really yours. There are also a lot of opportunities for freelance jobs as a content writer, editor. I would say that in any case the creative writing skills will help with your dissertation. Having a degree, It will be easier to cope with.

Cadet
    HSC
    Uni Grad

My minor is in English, and I've never used. I had to have it because of my B.Ed. Apparently teachers aren't allowed to work in two fields so close together, otherwise I would have done history and geography. My English minor has only been useful to me in interpreting texts and making sense of artifacts. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend English as a minor or major. It's one of the least desirable majors or minors anyone could have at university once you're out the other side unless you want to become an academic.

Thread Information