Whats it like being a politician? (1 Viewer)

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Anyone here running for MP or heard any opinions from those who have? My interests in politics have piqued

benno909

HSC
Not sure man, best thing you could do is align with one of the major parties (if you dont want the hassle) and start off in your local branch, by debating policy and hearing others ideas. Seems boring at first but i assure you about 80% of politicians and policy makers started off this way.

igotoschool

HSC
Also interested in politics and I'm choosing UAC preferences for Uni 2017 at the moment. Do you have any updates on what you've done with this interest?And if you're at uni, what are you doing? Would be nice to hear :)

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
I know this is an old post, but I wouldnt say there is any specific degree needed for politics. Law and Political Science are probably the most relevant, but I dont think they are necessary. Im not too sure regarding the specifics of entering politics (i.e. dealing with the AEC etc), but politics is all about who you know. If you dont know someone influential who can shortcut you in, then the best way is to join a major party and get involved with the local branch (as mentioned above). It is pretty boring at first, but it's all about meeting people and making an impression. That could lead to many opportunities, maybe as a staffer to a politician or being an organiser. As I said, it's all about building connections and moving upward.

Going into it as an independent is much more onerous. If you are interested in the lower house in particular, you will struggle as most people tend to vote major parties. Independents have more luck in niche electorates (the bush, inner city etc). You also need a lot more name recognition, which is difficult to obtain.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I have a few friends who ran, only one made it as an MP though and he's doing well. Get involved in relevant 'societies' for young members with respective party early.

Confound

HSC
Did you just finish watching House of Cards or something

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)