What is the best Uni for teaching? (1 Viewer)

Chavo Libre

HSC
Hi :wavey:, I've been wondering what is the best uni for teaching? (specifically for becoming an English teacher). Also, would like to teach at a catholic/private school.

Reactions: x1
HSC
Hi :wavey:, I've been wondering what is the best uni for teaching? (specifically for becoming an English teacher). Also, would like to teach at a catholic/private school.
You have to be a good teacher in order to maintain your job (if your wanting to teach at a top private school)

Any uni is good I guess, as long as you get the degree. Just factor in travel and what suits you best

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
You have to be a good teacher in order to maintain your job (if your wanting to teach at a top private school)

Any uni is good I guess, as long as you get the degree. Just factor in travel and what shits you best
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Usyd
2. Unsw
3. ANU
4. Uts

enoilgam

HSC
It really doesnt matter a great deal, but if teaching at a Catholic School is your aim, then Notre Dame or ACU would be your best bet because they have the closest ties to those schools.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
It really doesnt matter a great deal, but if teaching at a Catholic School is your aim, then Notre Dame or ACU would be your best bet because they have the closest ties to those schools.
I actually do know someone who graduated from one of those unis and as a result their first line of work (for work experience too) was in a few different Catholic Schools.

So I can vouch that this is actually true regarding the ties with those schools.

However the person has never obtained anything more than temporary full time for about a year at different schools every year or year and a half. Not sure if that is related to a saturation of teachers at schools hence being unable to find permanent full time and only getting temporary or if its related to less experience or something else.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Usyd is best but is 5years, unsw only 4 years and second best pretty much, rest are negligible

enoilgam

HSC
However the person has never obtained anything more than temporary full time for about a year at different schools every year or year and a half. Not sure if that is related to a saturation of teachers at schools hence being unable to find permanent full time and only getting temporary or if its related to less experience or something else.
There are too many teachers on the market at the moment (pretty much describes every profession).

It's all the same, expensive and overrated.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
There are too many teachers on the market at the moment (pretty much describes every profession).
Goes to show really that the uni you go to is one of the least important things in making you employable, unless its something particular (for example if you wanted to work in the defence force, you would go to ADFA or UNSW, or maybe this situation about Catholic school teaching where there are professional ties with the uni and workplace).

In fact, on a side note, the only thing that should bring your attention to a particular uni is if it has better teaching quality/competition that you can see and the uni leads to more opportunities through professional ties with the workplace, or more cadetships on offer, etc.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are thinking pay wise; this is according to one of my teacher's the pay scale between the different sectors ( On average)

1)Private schools 2) State Schools 3) Catholic Schools

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I agree with this as well.

I have a school friend studying at Notre dame and even in his first semester of uni he was out on work placement. Additionally, the majority of teachers from my high school (catholic) were from ACU.

wandless

HSC
If you want to teach religious Catholic education then go to a Catholic university, as they are the only ones that offer those subjects.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently there is a shortage of economic teachers...

emilios

HSC
Apparently there is a shortage of economic teachers...
Not exactly sure about this but there seems to be no shortage of social science teachers at my school. They usually end up doing odd jobs.

Definitely a surplus of humanity geared teachers. I was speaking to a teacher who had only recently graduated uni and she claimed almost everyone she met was looking to enter either History, PE or Social Science. My school also seems to be constantly hiring Maths and Science teachers however, so there's that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)