Is there a teaching glut? (1 Viewer)

laters

HSC
N/A
I would very much appreciate if anyone could shed light on this issue? Stupidly enough I didn't apply for teach NSW scholarships/cadetships :(

I've heard quite a lot about how there is a teaching glut in NSW where it has become difficult to find work, and those who do find work have little job security bc they're employed on a one term/semester/year basis or casual.

However I've also heard a lot about how Maths and other STEM-qualified teachers are in high demand and that there is a shortage of these teachers.

I have a keen interest in becoming a secondary maths teacher in western/south-western sydney. Obviously it's not going to be a walk in the park, but does anyone have an idea of prospects of gaining full time employment?

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
if u do become math teacher u should have no trouble whatsoever - esp in western/southwestern area

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
if u do become math teacher u should have no trouble whatsoever - esp in western/southwestern area
Really?? I know of a Maths-teacher graduate who could not find an opening for a whole year; was prepared to go to the remotest schools. Had only 2 1-day Relief Teacher calls the whole year. And he is not one of those with an ATAR below 60.

It's possible many less able graduates were luckier.

laters

HSC
N/A
Really?? I know of a Maths-teacher graduate who could not find an opening for a whole year; was prepared to go to the remotest schools. Had only 2 1-day Relief Teacher calls the whole year. And he is not one of those with an ATAR below 60.

It's possible many less able graduates were luckier.
Based on this would you consider a math/teaching degree worth pursuing compared to say, a commerce degree?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)