Is the teaching job market really that bad? (1 Viewer)

Kolmias

HSC
Considering teaching as a career (secondary). Is the job market really as bad as it's made out to be?

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Mostly if u do history arts music etc then yes, tho u are male and will help u cuz it's 30/70. Even if u dont get Job here u can easily go overseas

Mathew587

HSC
I''ve heard that they're introducing a mandatory band 6 in english and the subject you want to teach to be qualified?

Kolmias

HSC
I''ve heard that they're introducing a mandatory band 6 in english and the subject you want to teach to be qualified?
Minimum Band 6 in English is way too harsh if that's true

Kolmias

HSC
Improve teaching standards = Less Supply = More Demand = $$ = Teachers get better reputation = Every asian becomes teacher = Med is the new arts degree
Still doesn't account for the tons of recent grads who still haven't found work......

HSC
Uni Grad
I hear even maths teachers have difficulty in finding work as maths teachers in Sydney. But rural iirc has much better opportunities.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Minimum Band 6 in English is way too harsh if that's true
If it means higher quality of teachers overall and Australia's academic quality goes up compared to the world, then it's worth it.

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
I hear even maths teachers have difficulty in finding work as maths teachers in Sydney. But rural iirc has much better opportunities.

HA HAHAHAHHAHAH AHHAHAHHA HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAH

my school has been struggling to find a maths teacher for 2 whole terms
and as a y12 in a selective school that is v sad

//I've had temporary teachers for the past two terms

donkily

HSC
N/A
Wot...i thought they were in demand

however i'm quite sure that when uni students graduate they are more likely to end up being a casual as opposed to a temp teacher

Alephgirl

HSC
N/A
Well, yes and no. As you can read in newspapers and whirlpool forums, there is an oversupply of teacher graduates--40,000 are pumped out of universities per year in NSW. Nonetheless, teaching is a very practical option compared to (say) an arts degree. Teachers can find work not just as school teachers but part-time work as education officers in museums, trainers (sometimes with a Cert IV rather than Ed degree), L & D roles at companies (teaching highly regarded), education recruitment companies/HR (teaching quals viewed favourably), tutors (part-time) and tutoring centre managers. These are all options with decent demand that are not as easy to access with just an arts degree such as English or History. That being said quite a few of these options--tutoring especially--cannot ever provide more than a very part-time income. The same can be true of roles at not-for-profits that can be accessed by basically anyone with an undergraduate degree interested in the organisation's mission. So although teaching will never make a fortune and may be hard to get more than casual or temporary work, nonetheless there is always some amount of work. Moreover, the real work of teaching and tutoring face-to-face is unlikely to ever be completely automated. By contrast, some roles--such as rudimentary legal work and accounting--may well be automated before school teaching ever will be. So for this reason teaching remains an option to be respected.

Last edited:

Alephgirl

HSC
N/A
Dream on. It's a mandatory Band 5 in English and a range of subjects to be taught.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
So can anyone shed some light on this? What's the market like? For what I know, maths and science teachers (specially physics) are in demand.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
So can anyone shed some light on this? What's the market like? For what I know, maths and science teachers (specially physics) are in demand.
u can get a guaranteed job teaching in SE Asia as long as ur white

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
I just finished an internship in china, they specificially stated the wanted native speakers from English countries (us/aus/nz/uk etc) and for them to be white (or black if from america) cause the students admire the foreign teachers much more than the locals - even if their English might be really good. Its just the mindset of foreign = exotic

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I just finished an internship in china, they specificially stated the wanted native speakers from English countries (us/aus/nz/uk etc) and for them to be white (or black if from america) cause the students admire the foreign teachers much more than the locals - even if their English might be really good. Its just the mindset of foreign = exotic
Stupid Chinese - have no confidence in themselves and look down on themselves. I'm sure I can teach them English better than a lot of these so-called native speakers of English, teaching in China, who invariably are weak in spelling, grammar, punctuation etc.

Last edited:

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Stupid Chinese - have no confidence in themselves. I'm sure I can teach them English better than a lot of these so-called native speakers of English, who invariably are weak in spelling, grammar, punctuation etc.
yeah the grammar and stuff was the hardest to teach LOL - u just know how to naturally use them while other there they learn all the specific rules attached to each grammar thing

literally they accepted anyone who had a degree, the only real requirement was to be native

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)