Master of Geotechnical Engineering (1 Viewer)

ashleigh_dupre

HSC
Hi there. I'm looking at going into geotech engineering, but i'm not sure what the path is. I currently hold a BSC (Physics major with Maths and Aero Eng minor) with a credit average. I noticed a few unis offer the ME (geotech). Am I able to take this course, or will i need to get a BEng first?
If i am able to take just the ME with my BSc background, will this qualify me as a professional engineer?
I've called around a couple of the unis but it's very hard to get people on the phone, and even when i do i'm not getting a straight answer :/
I'm based in sydney and would prefer to stay here, but am able to relocate if need be.

Thanks!

Illite

HSC

I'm about to finish my BSc (Geology, Physical Geography), and it depends on where you are looking at going, either gov or minerals sector. I know a few of people with BSc (geology) degrees that have gone back todo a ME (geotech, softrock) at UNSW, this is quite common in the mining sector (though this is more as a desire of the company for geotechs, and they usually have a few yrs experience with geotech work in the mines). In regards to being qualified as a professional engineer, not sure what you mean, like being classified as a Chartered Professional ??

There is sooooo much work out there for geotechs in mining at the moment

Cheers

KD

HSC
N/A
UNSW Civil and Environmental Engineering runs a MEngSci in Geotechnical Engineering and Engineering Geology. Typically for Civil Engineers or geologists who wish to work in the geotechniocal field.

As for being a 'professional engineer', this is decided by the Institution of Engineers and not the Universities. You need to contact them. It is highly unlikely that they would accept you based on only a Masters.

The possible good news is that a number of Uni's in Australia are looking at developing a 3+2 type approach for those with a science degree who want to become an Engineer. The plan would be to take scientists and give them two years of undergraduate engineering subjects so that they can then qualify for a BE. This would probably be your best bet. Contact some of the Engineering Faculties to see if they are looking at doing this.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
melbourne uni only over masters (and phd) for engineering, and most people who do it usually start with a bsc rather than beng, so try there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)