Engineering Course Workloads? (1 Viewer)

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Well i'm mainly considering doing mechanical or mechatronic engineering at UNSW next year, but I've heard that the workloads are ridiculous. I'm good at math and sciences, and I really enjoy them both particularly 4u and physics. But I'd still like to maintain some sort of a social life especially in Uni so i was wondering just how large/difficult the workload is, currently my estimate is 98.5 and i'm ranked 7th overall in my grade so will I be able to handle it while maintaining a decent social life. Or is everyone who does engineering just screwed as it takes up so much time?

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
Well i'm mainly considering doing mechanical or mechatronic engineering at UNSW next year, but I've heard that the workloads are ridiculous. I'm good at math and sciences, and I really enjoy them both particularly 4u and physics. But I'd still like to maintain some sort of a social life especially in Uni so i was wondering just how large/difficult the workload is, currently my estimate is 98.5 and i'm ranked 7th overall in my grade so will I be able to handle it while maintaining a decent social life. Or is everyone who does engineering just screwed as it takes up so much time?
the workloads are only ridiculous in a double degree. also im pretty sure every course in uni is conjusive to a social life. just some require more work than others. obviously if u wanna get into a high payin field like engineering u hav to work harder in uni and enjoy benefits later.

funnytomato

HSC
generally engineering/sciencel have longer hours and more workload than courses like arts or commerce

but if you manage your time properly and be organised, it's not that hard to balance study and social life

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
The workload for a double degree and a single degree is the same, it just takes more years to complete the degree. I think mech eng would have about 25-30 contact hours per week. If you're concerned with workload, you could always do fewer subjects and take longer to complete the degree.

but if you manage your time properly and be organised, it's not that hard to balance study and social life
+1

jblack01

HSC
yeh im a first year at unsw doing civil/enviro enginerring. In regards to doing a double compared to a single, you do the exact same work (well in first year anyway). Iv'e managed to maintain grades and have a good social life, so it does really depend on your time management skills. Also don't assume that you will have these skills from the HSC, because everything is so different once your at uni.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
1. workloads are not ridiculous.
2. being good at maths helps
3. you will have a social life if your not retarded
4. deans list shouldnt be too hard, engineering has a shitload of dumbfucks

the workloads are only ridiculous in a double degree. also im pretty sure every course in uni is conjusive to a social life. just some require more work than others. obviously if u wanna get into a high payin field like engineering u hav to work harder in uni and enjoy benefits later.
edit, as a few others have pointed out, the workload is the same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)