USYD vs UNSW: Engineering. (1 Viewer)

jamesfirst

HSC
Stuck in a dilemma here. I wanted to go to USYD for engineering but many says that UNSW is better for it. Apparently they post the lectures on the site so that students who've missed the lecture can have a look at it. Usyd doesn't do this ??

Also I don't know which engineering I want to do, so I am leaning towards the flexible year. Which ones better for engineering ???????

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
Stuck in a dilemma here. I wanted to go to USYD for engineering but many says that UNSW is better for it. Apparently they post the lectures on the site so that students who've missed the lecture can have a look at it. Usyd doesn't do this ??

Also I don't know which engineering I want to do, so I am leaning towards the flexible year. Which ones better for engineering ???????
go to UNSW. also theres a wide range of engineering degrees but u shuld look at stuff like chemical engineering or civil engineering.

josh_blick

HSC
N/A
I've been told UNSW is the best... Kid from my school went there last year and loves it, good social life too which is nice :D

funnytomato

HSC
unsw is better at engineering (even though usyd has higher cut-offs, i suppose that's just due to supply/demand)

lecturers can actually decide whether or not to get their lectures recorded, so it varies from one subject to another

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Do an engineering that will open up job opportunities for you - that is, if you are like most people, having to worry about making a living. In Australia, forget electronics and aeronautical. The job opportunities are to be found in the resources/mining and Oil&Gas industries. They are booming in Australia. In manufacturing Australia is far behind and woefully uncompetitive.

Try to look at some industry sites for mining and Oil and Gas (LNG) - see what types of personnel they are looking for. For the latter try Rigzone & UpstreamOnline.com sites for a start.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm pretty sure all subjects at all unis post their lecture notes online.

UNSW is probably better and there is a flexible first year program if you are undecided.

jamesfirst

HSC
Okay this is what I was thinking of:

USYD:

- Flexi year
- Civil
- Civil (structural)

Why? I don't like environmental. Because I think, or at least I think, it involves too much biology. Is this correct ? lol

UNSW:

- Flexi year
- Civil
- Civil + architecture
- Petroleum (I'm not sure what you exactly do in this. But apparently it's a good future proof course that will offer a lot of jobs)
- Photovoltaic (sounds interesting)
- Renewable (sounds alriught)

All these courses at around 91-95 ATAR.

BTW: why is engineering better in UNSW ??????

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Both are good regardless. Choose the one closest to home, friends and etc.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay this is what I was thinking of:

USYD:

- Flexi year
- Civil
- Civil (structural)

Why? I don't like environmental. Because I think, or at least I think, it involves too much biology. Is this correct ? lol

UNSW:

- Flexi year
- Civil
- Civil + architecture
- Petroleum (I'm not sure what you exactly do in this. But apparently it's a good future proof course that will offer a lot of jobs)
- Photovoltaic (sounds interesting)
- Renewable (sounds alriught)

All these courses at around 91-95 ATAR.

BTW: why is engineering better in UNSW ??????
No bio in environmental engineering, but there is a lot of chemistry
I think UNSW is ranked higher for engineering (number 1 in Australia I think) and has better industry links but USYD is still pretty good.

taeyang

HSC
Go to UNSW, My brother went to USYD and then transferred (got high mark average) to UNSW and said it is unbelievably better, the people there are friendlier, the whole place is better, teacher are better, lecture halls are better, etc... Plus, they have a.... STARCRAFT LEAGUE! :D Anyway, it is better for engineering, that is not saying it is better for everything. Anyway, I am going to UNSW for Mechatronic/Aerospace Engineering, so eh, I don't even think I need to go to USYD open day. Good luck with the decision

funnytomato

HSC
i guess it doesn't really matter which degree you enrol in as the subjects you do are basically the same in 1st year http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/information-for/future-students/high-school-students/areas-study

then after 1st year, you'd have more knowledge about which area of engineering you're more intereted in so that you can make a decison
http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/information-for/future-students/high-school-students/what/fields

also even if you're not in the flexible 1st year degree, you can still transfer

jamesfirst

HSC
Ok serious question:

Is there a CSS group in UNSW. I heard there were tonnes of them in USYD.

btw I don't know which engineering to choose. But def. not choosing electrical (too hard), software (lol), surveying (hmm...), food tech (no...)

MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! btw is it good to do a combined degree in first year?

Can I start combined degree in second year?

jamesfirst

HSC
then after 1st year, you'd have more knowledge about which area of engineering you're more intereted in so that you can make a decison
http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/information-for/future-students/high-school-students/what/fields

also even if you're not in the flexible 1st year degree, you can still transfer
Wait... I'm lost. So flexible year is not even a good course if you have the option to transfer...

So... if I chose Civil, but after or during the first year I want to do Photovoltaic... than I can change? Doesn't that cost extra ?

funnytomato

HSC
Wait... I'm lost. So flexible year is not even a good course if you have the option to transfer...

So... if I chose Civil, but after or during the first year I want to do Photovoltaic... than I can change? Doesn't that cost extra ?
Year 1
All First Year Engineering students, whether Flexible First Year or other (except Bioinformatics, Civil with Architecture, and Software Engineering), study a common first year. The subjects ensures you gain a broad knowledge base in mathematics, science and engineering fundamentals, and learn the basics of the profession.

Common First-Year Engineering Subjects:
•Computing
•Engineering Design and Innovation
•Mathematics (2 courses)
•Physics
•Plus 3 electives *
* Students enrolled in specific engineering degrees complete one more core subject and two electives.

Elective Courses available in:
•Biology
•Biomedical Engineering
•Chemical Engineering and Industrial Chemistry
•Chemistry
•Civil and Environmental Engineering
•Computer Science and Engineering
•Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications
•Geology
•Mathematics
•Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
•Mining Engineering
•Petroleum Engineering
•Photovolatic Engineering
•Psychology
•Physics
•Surveying and Spatial Information Systems

so i guess you could choose civil and photovoltaic electives in 1st year?

malboroman

HSC
N/A
Since you are most likely to get an ATAR above 90 and want to do civil then why not consider the RTA cadetship through wollongong, they pay you about 20k a year to do the cadetship, my roommate did this and in 4th year worked for a private construction company at $35hr. Most unis require that students do about 3-4months work experience and a thesis in 4th year, the cadetship ment that he had filled these requirements early. Unlike law degrees where it is extremely important to go to the sandstone uni's if you want a corporate career. Wollongong and Newcastle are just as highly regarded if not more so than sydney universities at least for civil (where you study concrete, concrete, concrete and fluids, fluids and more fluids)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

you transfer through UAC or internal and it doesn't cost extra

taeyang

HSC
Ok serious question:

Is there a CSS group in UNSW. I heard there were tonnes of them in USYD.

btw I don't know which engineering to choose. But def. not choosing electrical (too hard), software (lol), surveying (hmm...), food tech (no...)

MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! btw is it good to do a combined degree in first year?

Can I start combined degree in second year?
If CSS means Counter Strike: Source then I hope so, I play it too and would kinda suck if there isn't

jamesfirst

HSC
How do you transfer from UAC??

If I was in Civil, what do I have to do to switch to a course I want in the 2nd year?.

And yes I meant COunter strike source. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)