Engineering: UNSW (1 Viewer)

jamesfirst

HSC
I am on the border of doing combined degree of B eng/ B sci.

But apparently it's not worth it.

For engineerings I am considering:

- Photovoltaic
- Renewable
- Civil
- Mining or petroleum (because of the money)
- Flexible year (because I can't decide on one :(

I wished to combine it with Physics but Flexi year cannot be combined with science... So... what should I do??? I am really confused about PV, renewable and civil. Some other areas also interest me. Should I just do flexible year and not a combined ??

taeyang

HSC
I am going to do Flexible first year, then branch into mechatronics, just as my brother did. He said it is extremely worth it, he goes to UNSW as well.
I think you should do a Flexible First year, pretty much so you don't have to go through the hassle of changing courses when you've completed the first year and you want to change (if that happens).
Good Luck with the decision

jamesfirst

HSC
Wouldn't you be behind in Mechatronics if you've chose Flexi year ?

funnytomato

HSC
Wouldn't you be behind in Mechatronics if you've chose Flexi year ?
i think u can choose certain electives(not sure how many choices you can potentially have) in the areas you're interested in

taeyang

HSC
All the Engineering courses no matter what do the same thing in the first year, so the mechatronics start at the start of year 2.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
IMO consider the living arrangements you'll be forced to make for mining and petroleum as well as job outlook and other factors, rather than just the money. I'd rather do electrical and live in/near the city than mining and live in the middle of nowhere, but that's just me so yeh :p Civil you should try applying for a bunch of scholarships and cadetships because there should be quite a few, not too sure about photovoltaics and renewable.

jamesfirst

HSC
what if you're interested in like 5 electives lol

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Your best option is flexible first year, well that's pretty much your only option.

taeyang

HSC
Flexible first year, yes. However, Cheezcake is right, if you want it for money (which is good :3) you won't get far, it's a really challenging course (from brother) and it's only fun if you enjoy most aspects of engineering. But Cheezcake may be making it sound a little worse off than it is (petroleum or mining that is), it's not like they have a shovel and a pick axe and wack away at the rocks, they design with pen and paper (well PC's and such now) from the comfort of their office as well, same goes for most.

Last edited:

jamesfirst

HSC
Hmmm...not really into computer 3D designs... hated integration in Year 10 and dropped it....

So.... in conclusion, I shouldn't do a combined degree and just do a flexi year ?

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Haha yeh, its not like you work personally in the mines but you are located onsite in areas such as Parkes etc. Not exactly a bustling social community.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Hmmm...not really into computer 3D designs... hated integration in Year 10 and dropped it....

So.... in conclusion, I shouldn't do a combined degree and just do a flexi year ?
IMO your better of trying to pick one now and apply for as many scholarship and cadetships as you can for it, but if you're really stuck then yes flexi first year would be the best choice.

jamesfirst

HSC
My friend was like, mining is good if you're planning to not get married. Because you're away a lot.

Anyhow, how is the Civil, PV and renewable eng looking in the future? Will I be able to find jobs ??

People say PV and renewable is looking good as the society is striving towards the 'greener planet'. They also say that mining and petroleum is looking bad as it will run out soon...

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
My sister works in the Australian Bureau of Statistics analysing company outlooks and statistics or something like that, basically she said that Australia is only in a current mining boom and it has to go down in the future, mechanical and mechatronics will also go down in the future, civil and electrical are best bets for long term career stability. She didn't say anything to me about PV and renewable though.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I am going to do Flexible first year, then branch into mechatronics, just as my brother did. He said it is extremely worth it, he goes to UNSW as well.
I think you should do a Flexible First year, pretty much so you don't have to go through the hassle of changing courses when you've completed the first year and you want to change (if that happens).
Good Luck with the decision
why don't you just do mechatronics from the begning

danjw

HSC
Well I'm certain I want to do civil but I reallyyyyy love science so do you think I should just ditch the science and do civil or go with the combined degree?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)