difference between industrial chemistry and chemical engineering (1 Viewer)

_deloso

HSC
interested in these courses in unsw but don't know which one to choose?
1) what is the difference between these courses during uni studies
2) what is the difference between the work that they do after uni?
3) The job demands for both courses and the starting salary after
finishing the course in uni?

thanks

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
All that I know from friends doing chemical engineering is that after the first year, there is very little chemistry needed/studied.
The name chemical engineering is highly misleading, and many have remarked a better name for it being 'process engineering'.

And so then of course, a difference between the courses is chemistry content where industrial>chemical engineering

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
In regards to job demand...

Industrial chemistry I'm not sure. All I know is the majority of the science (I'm talking R&D) is dead in Aus.

Chemical engineering is in high demand. But you must realise the majority of this demand comes for senior engineers/engineers with 4-10 years experience. It's one of those degrees where graduate life is hard, but once you get the experience you can 'rake it in'.

_deloso

HSC
oh okay. thanks for the reply man. appreciate it.
any thoughts on materials science and engineering? job prospects? and if it has similar subjects to chem eng in the first year cos I wanna transfer to chem eng if I get into materials science. this is in unsw btw

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
The difference between industrial chemistry and chemical engineering; is that industrial chemists are more focused on the chemistry side of things; organic chem, inorganic and big on polymers. Where as chemical engineering mostly deals with chemical processes on a large scale such as separation processes, distillation, heat exchangers etc.

Both courses are very similar only about 5 or 6 different courses separates the two programs.

Either way they are both awesome degrees after studying chemical engineering for 3.75 years (completing final sem now).

Last edited:

_deloso

HSC
The difference between industrial chemistry and chemical engineering; is that industrial chemists are more focused on the chemistry side of things; organic chem, inorganic and big on polymers. Where as chemical engineering mostly deals with chemical processes on a large scale such as separation processes, distillation, heat exchangers etc.

Both courses are very similar only about 5 or 6 different courses separates the two programs.

Either way they are both awesome degrees after studying chemical engineering for 3.75 years (completing final sem now).
oh okay thanks. might do chem eng anyone who does chem eng? can you tell me about it and all that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)