Maths in engineering + combining with commerce? (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I want to do something with computers at uni, im thinking of becoming a systems analyst or something in that field at first but eventually id like to get into ebusiness and probably start my own kind of business. My maths isnt strong (barely passing/just failing 2 unit maths, but havent put in a lot of effort - i think id put more effort in next year but cant be sure of that) but i still like the idea of Computer Engineering over Computer Science - is that a good idea? Will maths make it hard for me to get good grades?

Also i've wanted to combine it with commerce for the last year, but that might have involved doing Engineering/Business at UTS instead of going to UNSW - might it be a better idea to ditch the engineering and commerce idea and just do Computer Science at UNSW? I need some opinions on all of this.

EDIT: Oh and if im doign Comp Eng/Commerce at UNSW, or Comp Eng/Business at UTS but doing poorly in maths would it be possible to transfer to the equivalent Computer Science at UNSW or B Science in Information Technology at UTS?

It seems i only have to actually take maths for year 1 and 2, if i do poorly in them but do good in all the other areas its really not going to affect my average too much will it? I wouldn't be forced to drop if i potentially did badly in first year maths or something, right?

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
nah they wont make u drop if u do poorly.
u just have to pass. i'm sure you'll be able to do okay with effort.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
the maths in comp sci and comp engg is the same, you just have more physics in engg and you would pass 1st year maths if you work on it, it's really not that hard

twistedrebel

HSC
comp sci you do discrete maths. Why not just do comp sci/commerce combined? do comp sci or software over computer engineering. Computer engineering is elec engineering+ programming if you want to be system analyst do comp sci or software engineering.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
comp sci you do discrete maths. Why not just do comp sci/commerce combined? do comp sci or software over computer engineering. Computer engineering is elec engineering+ programming if you want to be system analyst do comp sci or software engineering.
Ok yeah, the two have the same uac code so i was going to look into that after - software engineering is what i want. Comp Sci doesnt have as many bonus points available to get in as engineering so i think comp sci would be pushing my luck tbh (im looking at very low 90s if im lucky). Thanks everyone! Also how about if i dont get the needed ATAR? Should i just go to UTS and do the combined there or do Software Engineering at UNSW and try to transfer?

twistedrebel

HSC
do software at UNSW. Trust me UNSW>>>>> UTS for anything related to computing. You ll get UTS kids saying "pratical " side of there degree's but UNSW is where its at if you want to get somewhere in IT. Many top UNSW computing kids go post grad at MIT or Standford (best 2 unis for computing in the word) so enough said.

There is both pros and cons related to software engineering and comp sci and you need to decide what suits you best.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
do software at UNSW. Trust me UNSW>>>>> UTS for anything related to computing. You ll get UTS kids saying "pratical " side of there degree's but UNSW is where its at if you want to get somewhere in IT. Many top UNSW computing kids go post grad at MIT or Standford (best 2 unis for computing in the word) so enough said.

There is both pros and cons related to software engineering and comp sci and you need to decide what suits you best.
Ok, so even if i cant get into combined do you still think its advantageous to go to UNSW over combined at UTS? I know UNSW is far superior and the best for computing.

twistedrebel

HSC
For sure i would. In UNSW computer Sci degree if you really wanted you could do a minor in accounting or something.

Also for seng in 3rd/4th year you do SENG electives are either math, computer science or information system courses. The information System courses are run by the School of business, so have the focus of IT in the business world.

In my opinion you better off coming to UNSW as it is light years ahead of UTS when it comes to computing and business courses are never far away. Also be warned UNSW computing course is hard compared to other uni's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)