Choosing an Eng Stream (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hello

Of all streams, I have the greatest interest in mechanical, electrical and software engineering, but I have no clue which to choose

Since interest is not a problem, what factors (e.g. salary, availability of jobs etc) make one field better than the other?

apollo1

Banned
HSC
i would say software engineering is your best bet out of those. great pay cuz they are always in demand. just my informed opinion.

HSC
i would say software engineering is your best bet out of those. great pay cuz they are always in demand. just my informed opinion.
I thought software would be of the least demand, especially in comparison to the other two :s

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
software engineering is booming right now due to advancing technologies and all that. But mechanical engineering will give you stability in the future because of its constant demand. The same can be said with electrical engineering
in terms of current salary, I would say: software engineering > electrical engineering > mechanical engineering. Read it on an American source though but I guess Australia would probably the same since engineering is pretty universal.

twistedrebel

HSC
software engineering is boom, crazy. After 2nd year many kids are already hired by large companies and what not. Top grads are getting 100k+ out of unis.

Electrical will always be around because we need power, a stable profession. Mechanical is a bit iffy, because with the death of the local car manufacturing and local industry there isnt as much mechanical jobs as before. And now airlines are also getting maintence done overseas and I know of a guy who got HD average in mechanical and didnt find a job (UNSW grad) so I owuld stay away from mechanical.

HSC
Thanks for the replies guys, I thought the thread died lol

I might put software down as my first preference then

Is there any combined degree which will be of any help with software? Or should I just finish uni with a single degree and get some experience?

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
compsci?

have you tried ringing around some companies to see if they'll let you come in and see what their engineers get up to? that's the best way to decide what job you want to end up in and get an idea what companies are out there you could work for

cheese_cheese

HSC
Renewable Energy (inc. photovoltaic) Engineering: this will show the greatest demand over the next 20 years in Australia.

HSC
compsci?

have you tried ringing around some companies to see if they'll let you come in and see what their engineers get up to? that's the best way to decide what job you want to end up in and get an idea what companies are out there you could work for
I'll ring up some companies for software eng/ electrical eng after my exams

thanks

twistedrebel

HSC
Thanks for the replies guys, I thought the thread died lol

I might put software down as my first preference then

Is there any combined degree which will be of any help with software? Or should I just finish uni with a single degree and get some experience?
commerce maybe (but extends degree by two years) and the opportunity cost of missing out on working isnt worth it in the current climate. You can easily make 150k in those two years instead of studying. Your better off doing MBA after your engineering Degree to boost income. But depends on each person

HSC
commerce maybe (but extends degree by two years) and the opportunity cost of missing out on working isnt worth it in the current climate. You can easily make 150k in those two years instead of studying. Your better off doing MBA after your engineering Degree to boost income. But depends on each person
Yeah I don't think i'll combine it with anything then

Any idea what comp sci is like?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)