Integrated BE ME Electrical Engineering vs regular BE Electrical engineering (1 Viewer)

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
http://www.eet.unsw.edu.au/sites/default/files/be_me_final.pdf
I'm trying to decide whether i want to do the new integrated BE ME electrical or regular BE Electrical at UNSW. Basically the differences are:

1. BE ME lasts 5 years (as opposed to 4 for regular BE) and you get a masters at the end (obviously)
2. You're able to study a minor (Language, psychology, computing, math etc) and you can study it overseas
3. More choices for electives earlier in the course
4. Probably others which escape me at the moment

Basically y/n? Advantages and Disadvantages

Help is very much appreciated :)

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
No double degree option, it seems.

Why only for Electrical?........... :(

Flying_Vagoo

Current mood: *thinking*
HSC
advantages: more impressive to employers, better jobs etc.
disadvantages: 1 extra year

imo, go for the masters thing if u have the atar

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
It's good if you want to get ahead in terms of professional positions (ie you won't have to come back later if you need a masters for some reason or if you have to enter a more in depth field and plus if you use the program wisely then you should have gained some extra skills in research and design). However for most graduate positions, unless you have demonstrated some extra competence and further skill development from the extra year, then it is on the same playing field as just a normal BE degree.

Go for it if you want to make the most of it. You do miss out on the flexibility of the normal BE program which is the major disadvantage of BE ME (can't do as many electives, have to do certain courses whereas BE has a few more options, etc).

D94

HSC
N/A
How big is the workload for BE ME compared to BE?
No different. You do the same number of courses (or units of credit) per semester in a single/double/triple/quadruple degree. You will need to do a larger total with the more degrees that you have, but that simply extends the length of your degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)