USyd vs. UNSW vs. UTS for Engineering. (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
So which uni is the best in terms of facilitation and opportunites for engineering. I am assuming UNSW is the best for engineering followed by UTS then USyd , then Newcastle, etc.

I will most likely try to do a flexible engineering course. If not, most likely mechanical or chemical will do.

Any help will be much appreciated as I have aspirated to go to UNSW since 2010, and I just want to make sure I am making the right choice.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW>USyd>UTS

With that said, I hear some bad things about teaching quality from 2nd year students at UNSW for Engineering.

I highly recommend UNSW or USyd and go to the most convenient one.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Alright, thanks. What type of bad things have they said. I actually had someone tell me they heard bad things aswell from there but I did not believe them because it seemed way out of context for the uni.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It doesn't really matter, they are al the same essentially.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Why would UTS be over USyd? Because it has "technology" in the name?

Honestly, teaching quality will be average at best, at any university. At UNSW, I hear that there's a lot if lecturers with very heavy accents.

This is why prestige will be a huge difference - sure, there probably isn't a huge difference between the graduates but employers see differently.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Why would UTS be over USyd?
Engineering practice program to name one reason.

This is why prestige will be a huge difference - sure, there probably isn't a huge difference between the graduates but employers see differently.
This may be the case in some fields, but apparently engineering is not one of them. Tbh, I don't think any uni students are really qualified to talk about what employers think.

Anyway OP, if Chemical Engineering is something you are considering majoring in then UTS isn't an option as that major isn't offered. I have heard nothing bad about UNSW engineering, so if that's where you want to go then you are making the right choice.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

This may be the case in some fields, but apparently engineering is not one of them. Tbh, I don't think any uni students are really qualified to talk about what employers think.

Anyway OP, if Chemical Engineering is something you are considering majoring in then UTS isn't an option as that major isn't offered. I have heard nothing bad about UNSW engineering, so if that's where you want to go then you are making the right choice.
Is engineering practice program necessarily a benefit? Is it guaranteed that you get a placement?

I know many siblings and other really close people that know employers that do take university into account.

Honestly, it would be naive to believe that university doesn't matter. Any differences should be considered, including different universities. If which university you went to didn't matter, it would be unlikely that there would be things like Go8 and university rankings of all kinds.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Is engineering practice program necessarily a benefit? Is it guaranteed that you get a placement?
I think it is, of course placements aren't guaranteed. But to graduate from an engineering degree at any university you need 12 weeks experience and that is not guaranteed either. I'm completely convinced it's a benefit after seeing presentations from (mostly) third year students who had recently completed their first internships, they were contributing to real projects as well as on site (for the civil guys) in their second year. There are also many other benefits about the program not directly related to it, for example a student who has done multiple internships will have more experience with interviews and probably a more refined resume (ours are assessed in a subject prior to an internship) than a student who doesn't. Last year UNSW started offering a generic (not just Eng) year long "Diploma of Professional Practice" which has a lot of similiarities with the Diploma of Engineering Practice at UTS, evidently they saw a benefit and demand in having a program like that.

Go8 and university rankings have a heavy focus on research, they don't mean a lot to the average under graduate student.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If placements aren't guaranteed, if you don't get one, you're wasting time and it will have a negative impact. It is a risk, in a way that is not necessary.

I understand university ranking are not fully true but it doesn't mean that there's no weight in it. Obviously, it *shouldn't* be weighted a lot but the fact is that it does have an effect.

If people truly believed that which university you went to didn't matter, the "top" unis would be out if business.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If placements aren't guaranteed, if you don't get one, you're wasting time and it will have a negative impact.
But either way all engineering graduates need at least a 12 week placement. Just like some people at UTS are unable to find internships and eventually run into problems with enrolling into subjects there are also horror stories on other forums about people who have completed engineering degrees at various unis (yes, including UNSW) and are unable to find a job or internship at all preventing them from graduating. In my opinion if you are genuinely unable to get an internship after over a year of trying (where you might start running into problems) it would suggest a problem of some sort that you would also face when trying to get a graduate position.

Kurby

HSC
N/A
I heard unsw engineering was pretty good. Friend of mine transferred from usyd.

zeebobDD

HSC
what's the point travelling an extra half hour all the way to unsw, when you're basically doing the same shit with different lecturers? in the end it all depends on you if you're willing to do well or not so it doesn't really matter, that being said i do USYD eng/sci and some of the engineering lecturers are great !

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
what's the point travelling an extra half hour all the way to unsw, when you're basically doing the same shit with different lecturers? in the end it all depends on you if you're willing to do well or not so it doesn't really matter, that being said i do USYD eng/sci and some of the engineering lecturers are great !
there's a difference doing it in a shit uni and a good uni like unsw. otherwise everyone would just go to shit unis like usyd

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I don't really rate that to be honest. Given engineering grads from all uni's have to do 3 months work placement it really isn't much of an advantage given it means the degree takes a year longer.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)