telecommunication engineering? (1 Viewer)

nfnz69

anyone in here applied for telecommunication engineering course? i read the uac guide n went to several uni's websites (unsw, usyd, uts) to read about this course. it seems to be really interesting. so i planned to do this in uni.

the prob is, i met this elect. eng. graduate from unsw. she said that the employment rate for tele. eng. or elect. eng. is really low at the moment and for a few more years to come.

i was wondering if this is really the case. anyone plan to do/doing this course atm? plz help...! :worried:

i am all ears as this will determine my future and others too!

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
I put telecommunications eng @ UNSW as my 2nd preference, my first preference was electrical eng @UNSW.

The demand for engineers in telecommunications is pretty good because the careers are not just limited to designing telecommunications networks & stuff but it's also broad enough to allow you to get into other things such as IT (slanting a bit towards the telecommunications field).

I know that for electrical eng, this is more so the case because electrical engineering is extremely broad with alot of different career opportunities (e.g. energy, electronic systems, as well telecommunications & lots of other stuff). This is why I chose electrical engineering over telecommunications. But seriously, you shouldn't have to many problems getting a successful career in either, if you're good at what you do :)

mjor

i've been advised its a good idea to do electrical rather than telecomm unless you're sure.. because its easy to transfer from electrical to telecom, and you'll have a better idea of what you want to do after a few years of uni. It leaves more options open and isn't a disadvantage

srini

telecommunications is very good at the time being. It is really picking up especially in Australia :) UAI for previous year is only about mid 70s in woolongong uni for telecommunications

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)