Engineering Job Prospects? (1 Viewer)

Seomate

HSC
Hi! How hard would it be to get a graduate position in an engineering firm with a Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical)/Commerce (Finance)? Would I be stuck without a job for months? Also, what would the starting salary be like? (A rough estimate if possible please!) Thanks!!

enoilgam

HSC
Hi! How hard would it be to get a graduate position in an engineering firm with a Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical)/Commerce (Finance)? Would I be stuck without a job for months? Also, what would the starting salary be like? (A rough estimate if possible please!) Thanks!!
It depends what you do throughout uni. At uni, you need to work on your employability by maintaining good grades, participating in ECs and most importantly looking for industry opportunities. If you graduate with just a piece of paper you will be unemployed for months.

Seomate

HSC
It depends what you do throughout uni. At uni, you need to work on your employability by maintaining good grades, participating in ECs and most importantly looking for industry opportunities. If you graduate with just a piece of paper you will be unemployed for months.
Okay then so say I maintain good grades throughout Uni, how long would I remain unemployed for after graduation?

enoilgam

HSC
Okay then so say I maintain good grades throughout Uni, how long would I remain unemployed for after graduation?
It can vary. The workplace isnt like High School/Uni, where X ATAR gets you into Y courses. All you can do is work on your professional development during uni to give yourself the best chance of finding employment post-graduation. The best option is to find part time work whilst you're at uni which can lead to a full-time job post-graduation.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
this

that's why accredited programs make you do work experience to become qualified

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
If you are a top shit engo student, you can expect 80k+ in oil and gas. You have to be 'top shit' though, there are plenty of engo kids from unsw/usyd with 80 wams + solid work experience.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well looking at GradStats:

http://www.graduatecareers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/GCAGradStats2013.pdf

http://www.graduatecareers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/GCA_GradStats_2014.pdf

Engineering in general took a massive hit this year by the looks of it.

As an Electrical Engineer, you should be ok with finding work in the future eventually, (depending on what elective stream you take, your relevant work experience, etc) but if you want a really great Engineering job it will be very competitive (as RishBonjour and Enoilgam have pointed out why earlier).

JamesGoh

HSC
At uni, you need to work on your employability by maintaining good grades, participating in ECs and most importantly looking for industry opportunities. If you graduate with just a piece of paper you will be unemployed for months.
As an experienced engineer I can tell you maintaining good grades does not increase your chances of a job. Most employees will look at your experience rather than your marks, unless of course you go for a research position. Even then, research is a very small market, so don't bet your money on getting good academic grades.

You should use the time you have in university to get as much experience as you can, whether its paid or non-paid experience. Joining Toastmasters would also help to improve your presentation skills as you would be expected to give a presentation at some point in your degree or career

HSC
As an experienced engineer I can tell you maintaining good grades does not increase your chances of a job. Most employees will look at your experience rather than your marks, unless of course you go for a research position. Even then, research is a very small market, so don't bet your money on getting good academic grades.

You should use the time you have in university to get as much experience as you can, whether its paid or non-paid experience. Joining Toastmasters would also help to improve your presentation skills as you would be expected to give a presentation at some point in your degree or career
Would that mean uts engineering is the most employable since they have 12 months compulsory internship?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You have to find your own 12 months experience at UTS to graduate. It isn't just given to you so essentially it is similar to all other unis in that respect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)