Are there jobs in the biomedical engineering industry? (1 Viewer)

ajayman1

HSC
Hi. I am about to start software engineering at unsw this year. Would I be able to pick up biomedical engineering as my masters and if so, is there many jobs in Australia?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I have heard in the past that not many jobs are available in Biomedical Engineering itself. However I am not too sure if this is hearsay or actual truth. It makes sense to me why there wouldn't be a large industry in it, but still not too sure.

Also, with the masters, I think it is a good opportunity to have much more depth in your other degree rather than thinking of the masters in Biomedical Engineering as a degree in itself. If you do the masters thesis on something related to your other degree, you will have a larger depth in that degree itself and make yourself more knowledgeable and possibly employable in that field.

I would highly recommend that rather than aiming for a job in the Biomedical industry, you use the masters program as a pathway to expand yourself within your other degree's job opportunities.

such_such

HSC
Australia doesn't really have a biomed industry so if you really wanted to work in biomed, you might end up having to look for opportunities overseas. Imo do biomed if you're really interested in it and are not sure software is the way to go. If you really like software, it'll be better to do honours than biomed masters as stated above ^

Kandahar, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
HSC
Uni Grad
The biomed industry is currently small in Australia. DO NOT under any circumstances do biomedical engineering by itself. That's really risky. I strongly recommend that you do an engineering degree with good job prospects such as software/computer/mechanical/electrical/mechatronic, get good grades in those, then go for a masters in biomedical engineering. UNSW has a double degree program, B Eng/M Biomed Eng. Maybe you should look at that if you're interested in biomedical engineering. Even if you cannot get a job in biomedical engineering, you at least have the Bachelor of Engineering degree (and of course the specialty which you chose).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)