UNSW vs Unimelb [Software Engineering] (1 Viewer)

orchradtere

HSC
Hi guys, I'm about to start uni in 2nd semester, and considering UNSW/ Unimelb (UOM).
Many ppl told me UNSW is the best uni in Aus for Engineering? Eventh UOM ranks higher (times higher education ranking)

UNSW: 4 years
UOM: 3 years (weird structure)

But if I want to take a double degree Beng/Bcom
UNSW: 5.5 years
UOM: unknown (the structure confuses me)

My ideal picture would be Beng/Bcom (Honours) in Aus (but not sure if Bcom is necessary - waste of time etc.), then Master in US.
Right, honours vs master. My teacher told me Honours is highly regarded over Master? But if you want to work overseas then Master is the way to go?

I'm really confused now. Feel like being overloaded with info. Really don't want to regret later on since I don't actually have a favourite/ ideal career. Choosing Software Eng because it seems to be something I can be good at, and Commerce since I have been doing Economics for 3 years in HSC.

Which uni and degree would you recommend? Please help.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Honours is harder to get into than masters and your teacher is right that overseas a masters is more highly regarded due to people don't know what an honours degree.

I wouldn't do a double degree with eng and com, you might as well do pure eng then do an MBA down the road.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Engineering courses typically dont have an "honours year" - its embedded in the course and you are awarded honours for getting a certain WAM. I believe UNSW (and definitely UTS) got rid of any requirement for the lowest level of honours and renamed the courses B Eng (Honours).

I wouldn't recommend going straight into post grad for engineering unless research is your aim (in which case - why engineering?). That holds especially true for software engineering, just start getting experience as soon as possible.

orchradtere

HSC
I wouldn't recommend going straight into post grad for engineering unless research is your aim (in which case - why engineering?). That holds especially true for software engineering, just start getting experience as soon as possible.
Could you please explain why engineering is not a good option?

orchradtere

HSC
I wouldn't do a double degree with eng and com, you might as well do pure eng then do an MBA down the road.
Hm, is it possible to do mba without doing com in undergrad? And because I'm not sure if I will stick to eng or not... so com is like a safe option in case I change my mind. But can you change from single to double degree after like year 1 or 2?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Could you please explain why engineering is not a good option?
Engineering is a good option (imo), but in the end it is an applied science. If you would prefer to study or research the theory in depth, a science degree might be a better option - or computer science in your case.

Hm, is it possible to do mba without doing com in undergrad? And because I'm not sure if I will stick to eng or not... so com is like a safe option in case I change my mind. But can you change from single to double degree after like year 1 or 2?
Yes, you can. Engineering is a long course and it's not easy, if you find engineering is not for you I think it would be better to just change courses completely than persist with engineering. You would be doing a cut down commerce degree anyway, straight comm students can do two majors. Uni isnt like school, you can do whatever you want when it comes to courses almost - change courses almost whenever you want if you have the grades for a transfer. The only problems are credit transfer, prereq problems drawing out a non standard course plan and little things which would differ from uni to uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)