Is Engineering dead? (1 Viewer)

Ahahahaman

HSC
N/A
So I've yet to graduate high school but I hear it's a good idea to start thinking about what course to do in University. I think UNSW would probably be more suitable for me, and after some browsing of courses and cutoffs, I have narrowed it down to Engineering (most probably mechatronics since its mixed), and Actuarial studies. I know, I know, if I can get into actuary why not do it? The thing is I don't think looking at figures and working in a box for the next 50 years would be all that fun, and I'm only considering it for the payroll which I hear is decently high. I'm leaning towards Engineering but I hear it's really hard to find a job, and if you do, you can't expect a pay cheque of more than 100k a year even after a lot of experience.
Could someone tell me exactly what an engineer in mechatronics can do as a career and if I can actually get a decent job (payment + conditions) out of it?
And can someone tell me exactly how hard actuarial studies are. I hear that the drop out rate is more than half.
Thanks

Silly Sausage

HSC
So I've yet to graduate high school but I hear it's a good idea to start thinking about what course to do in University. I think UNSW would probably be more suitable for me, and after some browsing of courses and cutoffs, I have narrowed it down to Engineering (most probably mechatronics since its mixed), and Actuarial studies. I know, I know, if I can get into actuary why not do it? The thing is I don't think looking at figures and working in a box for the next 50 years would be all that fun, and I'm only considering it for the payroll which I hear is decently high. I'm leaning towards Engineering but I hear it's really hard to find a job, and if you do, you can't expect a pay cheque of more than 100k a year even after a lot of experience.
Could someone tell me exactly what an engineer in mechatronics can do as a career and if I can actually get a decent job (payment + conditions) out of it?
And can someone tell me exactly how hard actuarial studies are. I hear that the drop out rate is more than half.
Thanks
If you're not the slightest bit interested, DO NOT do it. It is very hard and the drop out rates are extremely high due to the mathematical difficulty. Plus, even when you graduate if you actually want to be an actuary, you have to pass several (14 iirc) excruciating exams to become a fellow within the australian actuarial society.

If you're good in what you do you can find a job easily, you're still in high-school, worry about that instead of future paychecks.

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
Hah, good luck trying to graduate from Engineering (Mechatronics). Apparently if you don't have industrial training (i.e. internships, and note, the uni doesn't go and find one for you - you have to find one yourself), you're fucked and you can't graduate. Literally there's not much innovation in the mechanical/mechatronics/electrical/computer engineering streams - most stuff is sales based.

And actuarial isn't even great either, I left because I didn't really have much interest in it. Not only to mention that the dropout rates for that course is particularly high. Went to do Petroleum engineering instead.

IMO best engineering stream to go into is civil/environmental engineering - due to the broader options, as well as the number of jobs there are (economies of scale). Computer science at UNSW would be a fairly good degree to do as well.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
What do you want to get out of your study experience?

Where do you see yourself working in the future?

Ask yourselves these questions.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Hah, good luck trying to graduate from Engineering (Mechatronics). Apparently if you don't have industrial training (i.e. internships, and note, the uni doesn't go and find one for you - you have to find one yourself), you're fucked and you can't graduate. Literally there's not much innovation in the mechanical/mechatronics/electrical/computer engineering streams - most stuff is sales based.

And actuarial isn't even great either, I left because I didn't really have much interest in it. Not only to mention that the dropout rates for that course is particularly high. Went to do Petroleum engineering instead.

IMO best engineering stream to go into is civil/environmental engineering - due to the broader options, as well as the number of jobs there are (economies of scale). Computer science at UNSW would be a fairly good degree to do as well.
Oh no :(

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC

+1 thank u kind words from another faculty, 2 many people talk shit about civil!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Civil Engineering is great

plenty of pretty girls there (compared to like... Electrical or something) :detective:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)