Civil, Chemical or Petroleum engineering? (1 Viewer)

Panda4321

HSC
Which engineering should i choose in university Civil, Chemical or Petroleum?
My Subjects Math Extension 1 and extension 2, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and English as second language
Thanks

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Which engineering should i choose in university Civil, Chemical or Petroleum?
My Subjects Math Extension 1 and extension 2, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and English as second language
Thanks
Do some research on each field and try to understand what each field is about, what it involves etc. Then based on your findings just determine which one interests you the most or which you would be good at the most.

This site provides some brief information on each field:
http://www.futuresinengineering.com/what.php?id=2

As Sien said, the choice is yours

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
To add to the above, you need to have a look at where your interests lie and what you want to do.

vitamin D

HSC
yep and you need to consider what life style youd prefer. Eg petroleum would involve moving away form home.

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
Hi Panda,
i graduated in 2003. Then graduated UTS in 2009 doing electrical engineering. I landed a job at John Holland as a graduate engineer in 2010. The work predominantly given to graduates is in the line of project management and site establishment, procurement, quality, safety, communication, stake holder and interface management.

My recommendation is choose Civil Engineering because there are numerous projects in Australia. Regardless of the type of engineering, the foundation is the same. Engineering teaches you to handle real life work challenges with limited resources and time.

If you want to do petroleum engineering, i recommend to do "mining engineering at UNSW" instead. I had a friend drop out of electrical and did mining engineering. The work is very hard. The hours are long and generally it is fly in fly out with a schedule of 14 days on 5 days off. The pay is fantastic - starts at around 140k for a graduate.

hope this helps
Van

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Panda,
i graduated in 2003. Then graduated UTS in 2009 doing electrical engineering. I landed a job at John Holland as a graduate engineer in 2010. The work predominantly given to graduates is in the line of project management and site establishment, procurement, quality, safety, communication, stake holder and interface management.

My recommendation is choose Civil Engineering because there are numerous projects in Australia. Regardless of the type of engineering, the foundation is the same. Engineering teaches you to handle real life work challenges with limited resources and time.

If you want to do petroleum engineering, i recommend to do "mining engineering at UNSW" instead. I had a friend drop out of electrical and did mining engineering. The work is very hard. The hours are long and generally it is fly in fly out with a schedule of 14 days on 5 days off. The pay is fantastic - starts at around 140k for a graduate.

hope this helps
Van
I'd be careful with saying that, mining =/= petroleum engineering even if both resources come from the ground and the working lifestyles are similar.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
there are no jobs in chemical engineering.plenty of civil jobs but so many civil grads. Petroleum is good but not certain theres heaps of jobs in australia though you'll have to look into it more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)