Architecture VS Civil Engineering (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
civil is where the big bucks are at, plus, i assume your female from your account, so engineering has lots of opportunities for potential female students to study engo since its got way to many guys doing it.

stressedalways

HSC
civil is where the big bucks are at, plus, i assume your female from your account, so engineering has lots of opportunities for potential female students to study engo since its got way to many guys doing it.
Is it easy to find a job post graduation???????

astroman

HSC
Is it easy to find a job post graduation???????
depends, i'm no expert on this topic but employers will like someone with experience. But say you do do engineering, it will take 4 or 5 years, by that time there will be lots of jobs around NSW. New airports being built and massive new projects in sydney CBD. I'd say employment chances are pretty high especially if you go to a reputable uni like UNSW UTS or USYD

stressedalways

HSC
depends, i'm no expert on this topic but employers will like someone with experience. But say you do do engineering, it will take 4 or 5 years, by that time there will be lots of jobs around NSW. New airports being built and massive new projects in sydney CBD. I'd say employment chances are pretty high especially if you go to a reputable uni like UNSW UTS or USYD
Is UWS that bad?
(Justasking)

astroman

HSC
Is UWS that bad?
(Justasking)
not for all degrees, UWS is great for nursing and stuff like that, it's not that UWS is bad, it still will teach mostly identical stuff to other uni's, the thing is just that other's are more reputable since their atar's are higher so students are generally smarter. UWS has lower cut off so it's easier to get into.

stressedalways

HSC
not for all degrees, UWS is great for nursing and stuff like that, it's not that UWS is bad, it still will teach mostly identical stuff to other uni's, the thing is just that other's are more reputable since their atar's are higher so students are generally smarter. UWS has lower cut off so it's easier to get into.
Sorry for all the questions
But is it easy to transfer externally?

astroman

HSC
Sorry for all the questions
But is it easy to transfer externally?
you need a high WAM and a competitive atar, many people that don't make it into their first choice of uni e.g. UNSW go to another uni like UTS or UWS and do a transfer, so lots of people apply and minimal spots are available, so it will be competitive, but once again, maybe more preferences towards female engineering students (not sure though for transfer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
From what I've heard, there are more opportunities with civil.

However, I encourage you to consider what you actually like more. In terms of content, civil and architecture are quite different. It would be good if you decide on what you like more instead.

Also, I think UNSW and USyd provide program structures where you can combine civil with architecture. Research about this and have a look at them.

I encourage you to look at the trends of recent years and for you to research what the future entails in the appropriate job markets.

Here are some statistics to get you started http://www.graduatecareers.com.au/research/researchreports/gradstats/

Best of luck :)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Also with different universities, I would say the difference comes down to content covered in courses and resources/laboratories/equipment available.

stressedalways

HSC
Another question
For civil or achitecture do most uni's offer work placements (as experience)

astroman

HSC
Another question
For civil or achitecture do most uni's offer work placements (as experience)
yes UTS and UNSW have compulsory time you must do work experience to finish your degree, i also believe it is paid and many students get employed by these companies full time after graduation.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
yes UTS and UNSW have compulsory time you must do work experience to finish your degree, i also believe it is paid and many students get employed by these companies full time after graduation.
You need to find these yourself most of the time which is actually very difficult. Heard horror stories of people who couldn't graduate because they couldn't acquire paid work experience (i think unpaid doesn't meet the requirement, can you clear this up anom?).

Long gone are the days where companies hand out internships to anyone that wants one

astroman

HSC
You need to find these yourself most of the time which is actually very difficult. Heard horror stories of people who couldn't graduate because they couldn't acquire paid work experience (i think unpaid doesn't meet the requirement, can you clear this up anom?).

Long gone are the days where companies hand out internships to anyone that wants one
"Engineering students industrial training

Industrial training is important for making an engineering student work ready. To graduate from an engineering program at UNSW all students must complete a minimum of 60 days (80 days for mining) of approved Industrial Training. It means, not only do you graduate with some real on-the-job experience, you also qualify for accreditation by Engineers Australia.

An engineering student’s Industrial Training must happen at the same time they are enrolled in the program. It doesn’t all have to happen in one stretch, ideally your 60 or 80 days of engineering industry training could be spread out over a year as an engineering internship or over your summer holidays at the end of the 2nd and 3rd years. Most of you would have done work experience at high school, this is just the next step up."

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Yeah there have been stories of people who have delayed graduation due to being unable to find paid work.

I think it does need to be paid in a sense (not necessarily full-time payment though).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)