Mathematics for engineering (1 Viewer)

gelobro

HSC
Hi there, I definitely want to do engineering in university but I see that most assumed knowledge is math extension 1. The issue is that I'm currently doing general math and I'm wondering how essential this is and whether it is super necessary to take on a bridging course or not.

If it helps, I'm doing great at engineering, physics and general math! :D

astroman

HSC
My engineering studies teacher's daughter does Civil engineering at UTS and she used to get 90's in General. In uni, she get's low 50's in math exams. That's just an example though, you can always do the summer school where they teach you what you will need to know before uni starts, or you can learn it yourself with some dedication, summer school is intensive and expensive but may be worth looking into. But generally, engineering 1st year is about 4u math equivalent, it just increases as you progress :), but it depends on your major as well. Just remember that getting into uni is the hard part, once your in, you will have help available. Study now to get the best ATAR since Math extension 1 is only "ASSUMED" not a prerequisite.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi there, I definitely want to do engineering in university but I see that most assumed knowledge is math extension 1. The issue is that I'm currently doing general math and I'm wondering how essential this is and whether it is super necessary to take on a bridging course or not.

If it helps, I'm doing great at engineering, physics and general math! :D
general maths?

Really?

why the hell would you do that if you wanted to get into a maths intensive course like engineering

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Many people do, it's much easier than the 2u course and people do it to get a better ATAR.
Yes but then they get to university and they're now required to do 4 unit level stuff and how are they going to go?

You may have gotten a higher ATAR, but now you shot yourself in the foot when you're suddenly expected to learn things like calculus and all that, at the same time you need to learn completely new content such as matrices and stuff, while competing against students who are treating this completely as revision

gelobro

HSC
general maths?

Really?

why the hell would you do that if you wanted to get into a maths intensive course like engineering
I'm sure not all of us had decided what we wanted to do in university during our subject selections... I'm not asking for criticism, I am asking of what I should be prepared for.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm sure not all of us had decided what we wanted to do in university during our subject selections... I'm not asking for criticism, I am asking of what I should be prepared for.
Prepare to work very, very, very hard

Drsoccerball

HSC
My engineering studies teacher's daughter does Civil engineering at UTS and she used to get 90's in General. In uni, she get's low 50's in math exams. That's just an example though, you can always do the summer school where they teach you what you will need to know before uni starts, or you can learn it yourself with some dedication, summer school is intensive and expensive but may be worth looking into. But generally, engineering 1st year is about 4u math equivalent, it just increases as you progress :), but it depends on your major as well. Just remember that getting into uni is the hard part, once your in, you will have help available. Study now to get the best ATAR since Math extension 1 is only "ASSUMED" not a prerequisite.
Im not trying to be a douche but is that why she doesnt do it anymore?

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
I know a lot of white girls who do Biomedical Eng and civil eng, who did general.

All they did was a foundation subject.

gelobro

HSC
Thanks astroman and Flop21, you guys are very helpful (but it is scaring the shit out of me) HAHAH

astroman

HSC
UNSW Math2 Detailed course schedule
Note that this schedule is approximate and there may be slight differences depending
on the pace of lectures.
Lectures 1–4: PARTIAL DIFFERENTIATION
• Partial differentiation
• The chain rule
• Multivariable Taylor series
• Linear approximation
• Leibniz’s rule for differentiating integrals
Lectures 6–8: EXTREME VALUES
• Extrema for functions of two variables
• Constrained Extrema and Lagrange multipliers
Lectures 9–14: VECTOR FIELD THEORY

• Brief revision of vector algebra
• Vector–valued functions of one variable, its calculus & applications
• Gradient of a scalar field and directional derivative,
• Divergence and curl of a vector field
• Line integrals
• Fundamental theorem of line integrals

Lectures 15–21: DOUBLE INTEGRALS
• The double integral
• volume under a surface
• calculation of double integrals
• Area,
• reversing the order of integration
• Density, mass and centre of mass
• Moments of Inertia
• Double integrals in polar coordinates

Lectures 22–27: ORDINARY DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS
• First order equations– students must be familiar with the material contained
in this chapter
• Separable equations
• Integrating factor method for linear non–homogeneous equations
• Higher Order Equations
• Linear, homogeneous, constant coefficients
• Complex and double roots
• Free oscillations
• Non–Homogeneous Linear Equations
• Method of undetermined coefficients
• Forced oscillations
• Variation of parameters

Lectures 28–33: MATRICES
• Brief revision, including special matrices
• Matrix multiplication
• Inverse of a matrix
• Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors
• Orthogonal matrices and diagonalisation
• Systems of linear o.d.e.’s and applications

Lectures 34–40: LAPLACE TRANSFORMS
• The Laplace Transform
• Transform of derivatives
• Shifting theorems and the step function
• Partial fractions
• Solving o.d.e.’s and systems of o.d.e.’s using Laplace transforms

Lectures 41–48: FOURIER SERIES
• Periodic functions, trigonometric series
• Fourier series, Euler formulae
• Functions of arbitrary period
• Even and odd functions
• Half–range expansions
• Forced oscillations

Lectures 49–54: PARTIAL DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS
• Basic concepts
• Vibrating string
• D’Alembert’s solution
• Wave equation
• Heat equation

acronical

HSC
unsw math does a general rigorous outline of mx1 and a bit of mx2 and systems of equations in practice in sem 1 then in sem 2 it's new stuff including differential equations, vector fields, vector spaces, eigenvalues/vectors and abstract theory for systems of equations in depth including kernel, image,etc

in second year depending on type of engineering, vector calculus, statistics, further linear algebra are covered. some even do complex analysis in detail

acronical

HSC
op you will need to put in a huge amount of effort in first year to keep up and a large amount of effort will be required prior to starting uni

its possible bridging will not be adequate, in which case you can take a semester delay to focus on getting through first year maths by fundamentals courses and then start studying the rest of your engineering units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)