Is Engineering (Civil)/Science (Physics) a good idea? (1 Viewer)

drainbammage

HSC
I'm considering university course and am set on doing Civil Engineering, but I've also considered doing a double degree with Science majoring in some area of Physics. Because i genuinely enjoy Physics and a double degree will help my employability after i graduate. But will the work load and difficulty be too much? I'm only doing 2u maths atm and am planning to take a bridging course before i start. I'm doing well in both Physics and 2u, expecting a low band 6 and high band 5 respectively and my time management has always been very good throughout Yr 11 and 12.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Your work load will be the same regardless. The only thing that will change is the length of your program.

Only do what you like. In general, it will only allow you to have the option of going into something else when you graduate. However, if you plan to just work as an engineer once you graduate, then don't expect the science degree to help all that much with finding an role in engineering. The main advantage is that you can also pursue a role that requires a science degree later on as well if you do the combined double.

For everything else, you should be fine as long as you put in the effort.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Lol, i plan on doing the same thing, except i'm gonna double in other Advanced Mathematics or Chemistry. What uni?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
engo/science is pretty popular but doing it with civil afaik is pretty uncommon. Some people I know who do this degree usually do mechanical/physics

Silly Sausage

HSC
A physics undergraduate degree will require you to study even more electromagnetism regardless of which uni you go to since it underpins a HUGE part of modern physics.

psyc1011

#truth
HSC
HSC marks are an unreliable indicator of success in UNI.

drainbammage

HSC
A physics undergraduate degree will require you to study even more electromagnetism regardless of which uni you go to since it underpins a HUGE part of modern physics.
Whats the difference between a double degree of Civil/Science and Civil and Science separate degrees? Is the same content covered?

HSC marks are an unreliable indicator of success in UNI.
Yeah i know, but I've developed very good time management and self study skills in my HSC years.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty much the same content is covered, you will miss a few electives here and there (which has to happen if you want to get 2 degrees in 5 years when separately they would take 7 years) but nothing significant enough to make a difference.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I've been telling people not to bother to do Engineering if they are doing only General Maths. People have been telling such people that the unis offer Summer School as well as bridging course; so they should be able to pursue Engineering without higher level Maths in their HSC. Since you have done so many Maths units already in your Engineering course so far, you have the real experience. What do you think? Can a person doing just General Maths pursue Engineering?
I would tend to agree with that, if someone is doing general maths then they're going to find engineering extremely hard. But if someone were to actually ask me if they should do engineering because they are interested in it but they've only done general maths, most of the time I would say they should go for it because there's still that chance that once they get to uni and actually start learning interesting stuff, they start working harder/smarter. I haven't actually done general maths, so I'm not quite sure what their syllabus is but from what I hear it will definitely be one of the largest uphill challenges that you'll face in your education years if you were to do engg after having done general maths.

But 'working really hard' is not the point; if a student lacks the intellect, working 36 hours a day would not help..
I would argue that working really hard IS the point. If you genuinely find engineering interesting, then working hard isn't as bad/tedious as it sounds because you'll actually be enjoying the work that you do. Eventually, you'll understand everything being taught. Keep in mind that 99.99% of the time, work ethic trumps intellect. Of course, there are some people for whom the maths just wont click despite hours of effort, but that's rare. But then that begs the question, if you find this kind of stuff interesting why didn't you just choose 3U/4U in high school (or even 2U)? Do you actually find engineering interesting (that is, maths and physics), or do you just find it cool that people can do a bunch of maths/physics and make a plane or a bridge out of it? If it's the latter, it's probably not going to get you through.

I'm considering university course and am set on doing Civil Engineering, but I've also considered doing a double degree with Science majoring in some area of Physics. Because i genuinely enjoy Physics and a double degree will help my employability after i graduate. But will the work load and difficulty be too much? I'm only doing 2u maths atm and am planning to take a bridging course before i start. I'm doing well in both Physics and 2u, expecting a low band 6 and high band 5 respectively and my time management has always been very good throughout Yr 11 and 12.
Getting back on track haha, anomalousdecay was spot on. Workload between engg and science is pretty similar, so that doesn't change. The only change is that you do it for 1 extra year. It only helps your employability if you want to get a job that would require a science degree with a physics major. Engg companies won't really care that you've done a BSc (Physics) because you'll have learnt anything you needed to about engg concepts in the engg part of your degree. If you do enjoy physics though, I say do a double degree. You're paying only an extra ~$9k, but doing something that you find interesting and that's worth it.

/essay.

drainbammage

HSC
Getting back on track haha, anomalousdecay was spot on. Workload between engg and science is pretty similar, so that doesn't change. The only change is that you do it for 1 extra year. It only helps your employability if you want to get a job that would require a science degree with a physics major. Engg companies won't really care that you've done a BSc (Physics) because you'll have learnt anything you needed to about engg concepts in the engg part of your degree. If you do enjoy physics though, I say do a double degree. You're paying only an extra ~$9k, but doing something that you find interesting and that's worth it.

/essay.
Can i drop the Physics degree and just continue with Civil if i decide i dont want to do the Physics degree anymore?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Can i drop the Physics degree and just continue with Civil if i decide i dont want to do the Physics degree anymore?
If you are planning to do Civil Engineering (or any other Engg degree), why would you bother doing a degree in Physics unless you just love the subject or you plan to go into research in Engineering that requires a strong background in Physics. Else it'll be an utter waste of time, money and effort.

drainbammage

HSC
If you are planning to do Civil Engineering (or any other Engg degree), why would you bother doing a degree in Physics unless you just love the subject or you plan to go into research in Engineering that requires a strong background in Physics. Else it'll be an utter waste of time, money and effort.
Are the Physics units in the Engineering course the same as the units in the Physics course? I really do like Physics and would love to do some further study in the area.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Are the Physics units in the Engineering course the same as the units in the Physics course? I really do like Physics and would love to do some further study in the area.
I don't really know. Hope someone doing or have done Civil Engg can help you with an answer.

Last edited:

Silly Sausage

HSC
I don't really know. Hope someone doing or have done Civil Engg can help you with an answer.

I'd guess for Civil Engg - the most relevant topic in Physics is Mechanics (Statics & Dynamics where you study motion, momentum, forces, moment/torque, impulse, centre of mass, equilibrium etc etc which are relevant for Structural Analysis, Stress Analysis) - but I guess the NSW Physics does not cover much of that. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.
Basically this + soil and fluid mechanics.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes you can, at any time.

No. The only subjects that overlap are the first year maths subjects (1001, 1002, 1004, 1005). After that, physics and engineering don't have any overlapping of units. In physics you learn about electromagnetism and quantum mechanics, you definitely don't need any of those topics for civil engineering. Civil will then branch off to mechanics, and other stuff (lol idk what they learn other than sum of forces and moments = 0).

drainbammage

HSC
No. The only subjects that overlap are the first year maths subjects (1001, 1002, 1004, 1005). After that, physics and engineering don't have any overlapping of units. In physics you learn about electromagnetism and quantum mechanics, you definitely don't need any of those topics for civil engineering. Civil will then branch off to mechanics, and other stuff (lol idk what they learn other than sum of forces and moments = 0).
So the Physics subjects in Civil is different to the Physics subjects in Physics?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)