Related courses to mining engineering? (1 Viewer)

sadpwner

HSC
N/A
I am looking to do mining engineering at UNSW. In case I don't get my atar, what courses can I select to enter then transfer the next year? Also, do I have to do that course at UNSW?

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
If you want to get into the mining sector, you don't need to do a mining engineering degree. You can get in through mechanical and electrical, and probably some other engineering degrees as well.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
If you want to get into the mining sector, you don't need to do a mining engineering degree. You can get in through mechanical and electrical, and probably some other engineering degrees as well.
this

or you can do any engineering major, do the core subjects and internal transfer later

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
You can do a science degree then transfer 2nd year w/ nearly identical electives if you take MATH1131, PHYSICS 1A, MATH1231 AND computing for engineers. The only thing you can't do in science is probs engineering design and mining electives which you can pick up during summer school

sadpwner

HSC
N/A
Lol the course has to be lower than 91 atar because that's the atar for mining engineering.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah do Mat Sci or Science or something if you wanted to go through with an internal program transfer. If you are 100% sure you are going to transfer, then try to use up your first year electives to do stuff specific to Engineering (for example, ENGG1000, COMP191X/ENG1811, etc).

Alternatively, choose something else that you like and transfer or try out a dual degree program.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Yeah do Mat Sci or Science or something if you wanted to go through with an internal program transfer. If you are 100% sure you are going to transfer, then try to use up your first year electives to do stuff specific to Engineering (for example, ENGG1000, COMP191X/ENG1811, etc).

Alternatively, choose something else that you like and transfer or try out a dual degree program.
Isn't Duel degree like 10 hours of study everyday? It depends on the degree, but Engineering and commerce would be like 'wat is life'

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah dual degree doesn't mean higher workload per semester. It's relatively the exact same amount of units.

You just spend a few more years at uni and you won't have as much flexibility with electives with each.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Yeah dual degree doesn't mean higher workload per semester. It's relatively the exact same amount of units.

You just spend a few more years at uni and you won't have as much flexibility with electives with each.
Didn't know that, cool. But how do they fit 3yr degree into 1 years though ie Eng Comm, separate total= 4+3 yrs but a combined degree takes only 5 years (i think)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
You do fewer engineering electives, and you don't do some of the core engineering subjects e.g. at USYD you skip professional engineering, engineering management, instrumentation, etc. You also do fewer comm electives (meaning that you can only do 1 comm major).

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
You do fewer engineering electives, and you don't do some of the core engineering subjects e.g. at USYD you skip professional engineering, engineering management, instrumentation, etc. You also do fewer comm electives (meaning that you can only do 1 comm major).
Would that effect you negatively in any way?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Would that effect you negatively in any way?
Depends what type of effect you are talking about.

Do note however that your main degree of the program will be Engineering. Literally one third of your time is doing Commerce while the rest is Engineering. If you wanted to broaden your depth in Commerce, then you would be better off in focusing on a Commerce based program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)