Really confused (1 Viewer)

vflaash

HSC
Hey guys I finished my block of HSC exams and I'm really stuck on trying to figure out what I want to do in university. It is definitely related to engineering. The courses im interested in are mechanical, mechatronics, electrical and civil. Also, I do not mind doing a double degree like a science joined with engineering. What should I do? Preferred unis are UNSW, UTS and USYD.

Simorgh

HSC
UNSW I heard is best for science and engineering degree, basically any research based degrees.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Go to Info Days and see if that gives you a better idea. If not than just do flexible first year and decide where you want to go from there.

There is no "best" university; it's all subjective depending on what matters to you. The three universities you've mentioned all have good reputations, so look into the three programs and see what appeals to you the most.

Flop21

HSC
There is an engineering info day coming up real soon, quick I'd sign up for it. It's intended for year 11-12 though, but who cares do it, it's intended for this very reason, figuring out which type of engineering you want to take.

http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/all-events/high-school-information-day-2

UNSW is best for engineering, what are you talking about there's no best uni^ (nah I get what you're saying, but UNSW is known for engineering).

But OP all those fields are quite different, even though they're engineering... what do you like? Obviously electronics and circuits are going to be very different from buildings and structures etc.

astroman

HSC
UNSW has a crappy vibe and boring campus though, UTS is much better in that sense.

Flop21

HSC
UNSW has a crappy vibe and boring campus though, UTS is much better in that sense.
UTS have a good vibe and fun campus? I would have thought it was the other way around tbh.

When 2015ers haven't been to uni and giving opinions.
I've been to the info day and it was good and would be 100% helpful to OP.

astroman

HSC
UTS have a good vibe and fun campus? I would have thought it was the other way around tbh.
Yea personally thats how it felt for me imo. I went to UNSW open day at the beginning of the year, the dean of engo didn't even know how to give a speech and he didn't seem like he even wanted to be there. All the people seemed bored as well. Buildings and stuff were pretty outdated as well. UTS was much more modern, people were eager to help and facilities were awesome. This may change since I think I went UNSW when exams were on so students were stressed.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
UNSW is best for engineering, what are you talking about there's no best uni^ (nah I get what you're saying, but UNSW is known for engineering).
The word "best" implies an objective standard of measuring. But people place different emphasis on different things.

UNSW may have the greater perceived prestige, and for some people that might be enough for them to consider it the best in their eyes. But the better option is to do your own research and to come to your own understanding. I don't believe in discouraging someone from certain courses because of the opinions of others; in the end it's all about the individual, and what institution/course makes them happy.

Flop21

HSC
Yea personally thats how it felt for me imo. I went to UNSW open day at the beginning of the year, the dean of engo didn't even know how to give a speech and he didn't seem like he even wanted to be there. All the people seemed bored as well. Buildings and stuff were pretty outdated as well. UTS was much more modern, people were eager to help and facilities were awesome. This may change since I think I went UNSW when exams were on so students were stressed.
Yeah interesting. I went to UTS, I liked their CSE building a lot, and was pretty annoyed they didn't have say the same degree UNSW has (computer science) because it looked like a great school. I must say, UTS's open day was MUCH better than UNSWs in regards to the CSE area. It was informative and showed off the school. UNSW didn't even show their CSE building (it was literally locked), and I understand that you can't just have everyone walking about, but it's one day and a lot of people I think would have left a bit confused. The lecture they didn't really talk about the degrees and stuff, while UTS did, in depth.

But, I've been to most of UNSW's engineering nights / days / info days etc. and especially the HSC info day, I got a good feel for UNSW I think (we got walked around by the student rep people / the students that go there. People were friendly, campus seemed relaxed, teachers nice and helpful, and I had a look inside the CSE building and it was really nice. Open day was pretty shit compared to the info nights. Have you checked out the front of the CSE building? I get some buildings look like shit (for example the chem engineering building lol), but CSE is one of the most modern ones I've seen.

My main issue with UTS's campus is it's smack bang in the middle of the city. I was catching the train home and just thought to myself how much I would hate to be in the hustle bustle of the city every day. UNSW IMO is a good mix of city feel, but laid back feel.

Anyway sorry for rambling, just wanted to throw some things out there and my own opinion of both unis from going to their stuff. I do like UTS a lot and would consider it if it had the degree I'm looking for.

Flop21

HSC
The word "best" implies an objective standard of measuring. But people place different emphasis on different things.

UNSW may have the greater perceived prestige, and for some people that might be enough for them to consider it the best in their eyes. But the better option is to do your own research and to come to your own understanding. I don't believe in discouraging someone from certain courses because of the opinions of others; in the end it's all about the individual, and what institution/course makes them happy.
I suppose, but yeah go check out some grad stats.

astroman

HSC
It's that much of a simple IIRC UNSW had grad success rates of 87% while WSU has about 78%. At the end of the day though, its usually experience that employees want moreover a preferred university.

vitamin D

HSC
UNSW > UTS > USYD > other unis.
I was always told UTS took a practical approach and hands on experience for students. And with Engineering experience>high marks. Just curious why does everyone say UNSW is the best uni for engineering is it because of its prestigiousness or? I may be wrong. plz insight

astroman

HSC
I was always told UTS took a practical approach and hands on experience for students. And with Engineering experience>high marks. Just curious why does everyone say UNSW is the best uni for engineering is it because of its prestigiousness or?
UTS is a new uni, meaning it's had less time working with industry partners, UNSW has had engineering connections for much longer. Combine this with higher ATAR cutoffs means more 'intelligent' students attend it.

Flop21

HSC
UTS is a new uni, meaning it's had less time working with industry partners, UNSW has had engineering connections for much longer. Combine this with higher ATAR cutoffs means more 'intelligent' students attend it.
lol that reminds me of UTS saying "we're the top uni in computer science in australia", when first off they don't even offer a computer science degree, secondly in 2014 yes in the world rankings they TIED first with like 4-5 other aus unis, then in 2015 they were not first in that area.

D94

HSC
N/A
I was always told UTS took a practical approach and hands on experience for students.
Who did you hear this from? I've only ever heard that from high school students...

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
And what are those stats measuring? Job rates I'm guessing?

Even if we assume the unlikely scenario that those rates are directly correlated to the quality of the education and nothing else, it's still a subjective measurement. Some people care about employment. Others don't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)