Mechatronic Engineering (1 Viewer)

BobbyCock

HSC
N/A
Unsure about the course even though it looks amazing. Is the employment good for this degree? What is the general consensus on mechatronics?

Kolmias

HSC
Poor employment rates. Mechantronic is a generalist degree so you become a jack of all trades but a master of none.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Mechantronic is a generalist degree so you become a jack of all trades but a master of none.
I disagree with this.

There is an area of engineering which many people don't hear much about which actually incorporates many different areas. That is why it is perceived to be a mix of some sort when actually it is it's own area that is applied to many different areas. Mechatronics is a basis for the applications involved in control systems engineering.

Although you get a taste of many different areas, the mix is actually there because control systems engineering is applicable to so many areas.

In other areas of Engineering, such as mechanical or electrical, you will learn the fundamentals behind control systems engineering. You can go into a bit more depth in control systems in terms of their direct applications to the area (for example, you can learn control theory relevant to electrical in great depth within an electrical degree) but you can learn in depth in general from a mechatronics degree, whilst also being exposed to some applications in electrical and mechanical engineering.

Kolmias

HSC
I disagree with this.

There is an area of engineering which many people don't hear much about which actually incorporates many different areas. That is why it is perceived to be a mix of some sort when actually it is it's own area that is applied to many different areas. Mechatronics is a basis for the applications involved in control systems engineering.

Although you get a taste of many different areas, the mix is actually there because control systems engineering is applicable to so many areas.

In other areas of Engineering, such as mechanical or electrical, you will learn the fundamentals behind control systems engineering. You can go into a bit more depth in control systems in terms of their direct applications to the area (for example, you can learn control theory relevant to electrical in great depth within an electrical degree) but you can learn in depth in general from a mechatronics degree, whilst also being exposed to some applications in electrical and mechanical engineering.
Soz. I was just guessing. :tongue:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
There's definitely jobs available, but the amount available can vary from time to time. Look at trends for graduates with http://www.graduatecareers.com.au/research/researchreports/gradstats/

Although Mechatronics is not on the list, as you can see in the span of 5 years the statistics can show varied results. My point is that the job market now might be quite different in 5 years time when you are a graduand.

If you want to study Mechatronics then go for it! If you actually enjoy it, then I think you'll be able to work hard enough to find a job you like once you graduate.

Have a look at where you want to be and what types of jobs you want, then make that final decision on what you want to study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)