Got a question related to uni degree (1 Viewer)

ragingcurry

HSC
What is honours? I have no clue can someone please explain it to me. Most engineering degrees (for undergraduate) I see have honours. I don't what it means.
Any help would be appreciated.
:)

Silly Sausage

HSC
It's when you spend the last year of your engineering degree working on a thesis.

D94

HSC
N/A
Any undergraduate engineering degree that doesn't have honours is almost certainly not accredited by Engineers Australia and should be avoided. Honours in engineering differs to honours in other degrees. You will complete a research project, i.e. a thesis, typically in conjunction with research that your supervisor is doing. You will also do normal courses alongside that thesis and it is treated as another course (even though it is vastly different).

Honours in engineering is an award/achievement - you may also be classed into Honours I, II(1) and II(2), depending on your marks. Honours in other degrees is typically an extra year of coursework or projects at a higher level than undergraduate, but not classed as postgraduate.

engineering

HSC
N/A
In most unis around Australia, Honours is an indicator of your average mark over the life of the degree. Eg an average of 75 is equal to first class honours at most unis.

Ps - please use a meaningful subject heading - "what does honours mean in engineering" would be an obvious meaningful subject for this thread.

KD

HSC
N/A
There are now two types of 'Honours' in Engineering.

The traditional one is denoted by a number e.g. Honours Class 1, Honours Class 2 Division 1, Hon 2-2, Hon 3.

The new one refers to the fact the degree is 4 years. This has come about due to some rule changes with the government. Every 4 year Engineering degree will now be an 'Honours' degree. They are pretty much the same degree as before but every uni renamed them to make them sound better. As people have said above, you will need to do an individual research project in 4th year to justify the term 'honours'. Last year if you averaged 60 you got an engineering degree, from this year you will get an engineering honours degree. Previous grads are not impressed.

BOTH versions will still exist. So the 'better' honours will be those with a Class. These will be based on your weighted (usually by year and thesis) average mark (WAM) over the full course. For example, a WAM 80 or higher at UNSW will give you Hon 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)