USYD or UNSW for Engineering (mech) and Arts? (1 Viewer)

l0uis_e

HSC
N/A
I'm in Year 11 currently and I can't seem to decide on whether to go for USYD or UNSW for engineering and arts? I know that UNSW is better for engineering but what about arts? I'm looking at philosophy, international relations...
And also curious about campus life and clubs and such... I live closer to USYD but I'm willing to travel further if UNSW ends up being better.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
UNSW campus life is the best

see: 300 clubs and societies

clementinez

HSC
N/A
USYD has a stronger Arts faculty in general. QS ranked it 26th for Politics & International Relations and 37th for Philosophy. Normally I wouldn't recommend looking solely at rankings but from the research I've done USYD is definitely the place to be for Arts and you'll have a wider range of units available as well as electives from other faculties. They also offer Political Economy as a major which is worth looking at.
As for mechanical engineering, the consensus is that UNSW is the stronger engineering school but the ME program at USYD looks just a good as UNSW. You'll have to look at the handbook for specific electives.

A combined degree in Eng/Arts at UNSW gives you a major (60cp - 10 courses), a minor (24cp) and 2 faculty electives for Arts whereas at USYD you have room for a major (36 senior units + 12 Jr Units - 8 courses) and 6 electives or if you take economics (48 senior units + 12 jr) as your major then you only get 4 electives.

Also worth mentioning Eng/Arts is 5.5 yrs at UNSW and 5 yrs at USYD.

Last edited:

Silly Sausage

HSC
Since they're both about the same, just go to wherever is more convenient.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)