Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Electrical Engineering or Software Engineering/Computer Science

HSC

Re: Electrical Engineering or Software Engineering/Computer Science

Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    I really only came close to commanding her not to do seng. Maybe if OP outright said, "yeah I like the idea of being forced to do my thesis, those workshops sound awesome, I like a strict program vs a flexible one", then I wouldn't have assumed she didn't know anything about CS vs SENG.

And I don't think you can blame me when just the other day there was someone picking SENG over CS JUST because of the name lol.

And I also don't know how hard it is to look at the UNSW handbook. There are many questions in this thread that could be easily answered by OP by looking at the handbook page. I am commanding you OP to look at it:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/unde...LECAH3707.html

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/unde...2013/3978.html
    Well they mainly asked for some insight from students who are currently enrolled in related programs and what to do.

The handbook only provides a certain amount of insight. Course outlines are a lot more detailed and make sense to a uni student but in general don't to a high student who has no idea what any of the terms mean. So it is understandable why they would have a bit of trouble getting information out of a few things online. We've probably all asked questions before which have answers that can be extracted from the handbook or course outlines.

Quote Originally Posted by turntaker View Post
    If you read the handbook, EE and CS share the same first year maths.
    EE has 2nd year maths, that is the only difference
    Nah elec at UNSW has maths embedded into other courses, not just second year maths.

You learn a lot of different maths within the elec courses themselves, but if your background is solid enough (75+ in the school of maths courses) then you should be fine.
    clementinez likes this.

HSC

Yeah you keep saying that, yet still keep asking questions easily answered by the handbook. e.g. "should I learn C or Java", maybe check your subjects and see if they use C or Java... then yes!, or "would it be less intense [math in cs vs ee]", maybe check what math subjects there are in each course...
    Just to note on this point, it isn't required to have any previous programming experience to enter a comp degree.

And instead of having a fit, just simply ask "are the workshops worth it?", instead of such a broad question.
    Most answers to this question would be subjective. A better question yet would be "what occurs within the workshops and what are some things that past students got out of them?".

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by anomalousdecay View Post
    Well they mainly asked for some insight from students who are currently enrolled in related programs and what to do.

The handbook only provides a certain amount of insight. Course outlines are a lot more detailed and make sense to a uni student but in general don't to a high student who has no idea what any of the terms mean. So it is understandable why they would have a bit of trouble getting information out of a few things online. We've probably all asked questions before which have answers that can be extracted from the handbook or course outlines.

Nah elec at UNSW has maths embedded into other courses, not just second year maths.

You learn a lot of different maths within the elec courses themselves, but if your background is solid enough (75+ in the school of maths courses) then you should be fine.
    this in bold so much^^ half the time when I'm reading up on these courses I don't understand what I'm reading and I assumed there would be maths embedded into other courses which is why asked

my maths knowledge is around 3 unit because I self studied that content and had 2 unit at school... I'm decent at it so I assume I'd be able to handle both CS and EE if I'm dedicated..

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by clementinez View Post
    this in bold so much^^ half the time when I'm reading up on these courses I don't understand what I'm reading and I assumed there would be maths embedded into other courses which is why asked

my maths knowledge is around 3 unit because I self studied that content and had 2 unit at school... I'm decent at it so I assume I'd be able to handle both CS and EE if I'm dedicated..
    Yeah if you are dedicated you should be fine. I have a friend who did 3U and is doing well at uni now. In saying that his first semester was really rough but by second semester everything clicked and he had the skill set to do really well in everything.

HSC
    N/A

Just to note on this point, it isn't required to have any previous programming experience to enter a comp degree.

Most answers to this question would be subjective. A better question yet would be "what occurs within the workshops and what are some things that past students got out of them?".
    That's good to know because I don't think I'll have the time to learn to program before uni starts.

Do you happen to know anything about the workshops in SENG? I've asked around but I don't know anyone doing SENG and people on forums just usually say they're not worth it without any further explanation of what goes on.
    Is there a lot of group work in EE or do most students just stick to themselves?
    Last edited by clementinez; 22 Jun 2016 at 10:01 PM.

HSC
    N/A

Yeah if you are dedicated you should be fine. I have a friend who did 3U and is doing well at uni now. In saying that his first semester was really rough but by second semester everything clicked and he had the skill set to do really well in everything.
    Good to know because sometimes I get the idea that if you haven't done 4u you're in for disaster.
    Last edited by clementinez; 22 Jun 2016 at 10:02 PM.

HSC

Your reply is great. Thanks!

I haven't done 4u maths.
    That seems like a reasonable amount of study. Regardless of what I choose, keeping up to date with everything is most effective.
    Do EE students get to do a lot of practical work while still at uni?

You've definitely given me a lot to think about.
    yes elec involves a lot of practical work.

In comp sci, most if not all of your laboratories are just theory/programming.

In comp eng, there are a few very practical courses with laboratories.

In elec, there's a practical laboratory component to almost all courses.
    clementinez likes this.

HSC

That's good to know because I don't think I'll have the time to learn to program before uni starts.

Do you happen to know anything about the workshops in SENG? I've asked around but I don't know anyone doing SENG and people on forums just usually say they're not worth it without any further explanation of what goes on.
    Is there a lot of group work in EE or do most students just stick to themselves?
    I have no clue about the workshops for SENG sorry.

There are quite a few courses where group work is necessary. In essence, a successful engineer has the ability to communicate in many different environments, so it's a great thing to be very great in team environments as well as with individual work.

I've spent a lot of my time at uni working with others or doing my own work, then discussing with others so that we all end up understanding everything properly.

HSC
    N/A

yes elec involves a lot of practical work.

In comp sci, most if not all of your laboratories are just theory/programming.

In comp eng, there are a few very practical courses with laboratories.

In elec, there's a practical laboratory component to almost all courses.
    I assume since you know so much about EE you're studying it? Are the laboratory components enjoyable? Are the tutors helpful if you don't understand something?

HSC
    N/A

I have no clue about the workshops for SENG sorry.

There are quite a few courses where group work is necessary. In essence, a successful engineer has the ability to communicate in many different environments, so it's a great thing to be very great in team environments as well as with individual work.

I've spent a lot of my time at uni working with others or doing my own work, then discussing with others so that we all end up understanding everything properly.
    This is what drew me to engineering in the first place because it feels like a team environment and the work looks more fulfilling than regular office jobs.

HSC

There's still a bit of group work in comp sci. I'm not sure to what extent however.

Some labs are enjoyable. Most labs provide quite a bit to learn about. Some labs are draining and you just want to get over and done with but they still teach you quite a bit (this is mainly how we all feel towards end of semester when there is so much stuff going on and a lot to manage).

Some tutorials are great. Some I just skip. This is dependent on the course and the tutorial, so it's mainly a course by course basis.

HSC
    N/A

Are you happy with the choice you made both course wise and uni wise? If you had the chance to choose a different course/uni, would you?

HSC

No would not have changed a thing. However this is subjective to each individual.

HSC

I do know people that don't enjoy electrical though. That is why I mentioned before if you do not like circuits or physical labs and stuff then it would be best to choose something else.

HSC
    N/A

No would not have changed a thing. However this is subjective to each individual.
    understood
    it's nice to hear you're happy with the choice you made, hopefully I'll make the right decision too

HSC

pretty much what we all hope for haha

HSC
    N/A

I do know people that don't enjoy electrical though. That is why I mentioned before if you do not like circuits or physical labs and stuff then it would be best to choose something else.
    tbh I've only considered SENG recently.. originally I was torn between Mechanical and Electrical and for a while I thought I'd do Mechanical but I really have NO idea what the workplace for a mechanical engineer looks like so I started looking into SENG. I'm interested in all three but I don't know what I'll be good at until I actually try one of them.

HSC

Mechanical is quite different. You'll learn about statics, dynamics, fluid mechanics, a bit of manufacturing, etc. Maybe someone else here who studies Mechanical can give you a better insight. It is structured like other engineering programs, in the sense that you have a lot of lab work, quite a bit of group work, etc. You'll learn completely different things, but in a similar manner to many other areas of engineering. Mechatronics is also completely different.

I recommend researching the types of jobs available after you graduate and have a look at what is on offer and what you can end up doing in all these different areas that you are interested in.

HSC
    N/A

Mechanical is quite different. You'll learn about statics, dynamics, fluid mechanics, a bit of manufacturing, etc. Maybe someone else here who studies Mechanical can give you a better insight. It is structured like other engineering programs, in the sense that you have a lot of lab work, quite a bit of group work, etc. You'll learn completely different things, but in a similar manner to many other areas of engineering. Mechatronics is also completely different.

I recommend researching the types of jobs available after you graduate and have a look at what is on offer and what you can end up doing in all these different areas that you are interested in.
    So far I know that both EE and ME can lead me to some of the fields I previously mentioned having an interest in. I think finding a job with a degree in Mechatronics is a bit of a challenge and since I don't have a good enough reason to take Mechatronics I decided to stick to the more traditional fields. As you can tell I don't have a clear path in mind quite yet.

If nobody doing mechanical answers to this thread I might make another one specifically for that.

HSC
    Uni Grad

EE will be significantly harder than SE and CS. Something to consider.
    turntaker likes this.
    Freighters gonna freight.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Danoraptor View Post
    EE will be significantly harder than SE and CS. Something to consider.
    I assumed.
    Compared to ME would you say EE is more difficult or about the same? I know a bit more about ME so a comparison might give me some idea of the difficulty.

HSC
    Uni Grad

ME will be easier than EE but much harder than SE or CS. SE and CS are by far the easiest engineering disciplines shortly followed by CivE. It's definitely something to consider, because these courses at university level can be truly brutal.
    clementinez likes this.
    Freighters gonna freight.

HSC

I assumed.
    Compared to ME would you say EE is more difficult or about the same? I know a bit more about ME so a comparison might give me some idea of the difficulty.
    Whatever harder is subjective and would depend on your interests. IMO , mathematically and conceptually, electrical engineering is the hardest (e.g. fourier series, complex calculus, electromagnetism with vector calculus, signals, etc).
    ME also has some though subjects, although not as mathematically challenging, will require at least as much critical thinking as EE especially for engineering mechanics subjects introduced in your first and second year (statics, dynamics - high school level maths but require a high level of critical thinking). Other examples include fluid mechanics, thermodynamics and heat transfer which can also be conceptually difficult.
    clementinez likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Danoraptor View Post
    ME will be easier than EE but much harder than SE or CS. SE and CS are by far the easiest engineering disciplines shortly followed by CivE. It's definitely something to consider, because these courses at university level can be truly brutal.
    Would much rather do ME over CS or SE tbh since I suck at programming.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Sausage View Post
    Whatever harder is subjective and would depend on your interests. IMO , mathematically and conceptually, electrical engineering is the hardest (e.g. fourier series, complex calculus, electromagnetism with vector calculus, signals, etc).
    ME also has some though subjects, although not as mathematically challenging, will require at least as much critical thinking as EE especially for engineering mechanics subjects introduced in your first and second year (statics, dynamics - high school level maths but require a high level of critical thinking). Other examples include fluid mechanics, thermodynamics and heat transfer which can also be conceptually difficult.
    The maths in EE was what put me off initially and not so much the amount of maths but the type of maths. The concepts in ME are more to my liking.
    Do any of you know what working as an ME is like? Do you spend a lot of time in workshops doing hands on things or behind a computer? I don't want to be assembling machinery for a living

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information