Engineering at USYD vs UNSW (1 Viewer)

clementinez

HSC
N/A
What are the facilities like for engineering at USYD compared to UNSW? Are there any major differences in teaching style? Also where are the lecturers more approachable?
I'm interested in EE or Software Engineering and will most likely be combining this with Commerce or Arts (undecided atm).
USYD is closer to where I'll live but the faculty/campus atmosphere is important to me. I know that UNSW is ranked ahead in both these fields but I'd like to hear any pro's and con's you may know of.
I plan on going on exchange in the US and hopefully continuing postgraduate study at a university there so having the chance to take part in research while still an undergraduate would be ideal (not sure if this is possible at either USYD or UNSW).

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the facilities for engo are more modern at UNSW. Regarding which uni has more approachable lecturers, I don't think many people can say for sure what the answer to this is but I assume it's the same at both unis. I know at USYD at least most lecturers are more than happy to talk to you if you don't understand anything, though they would prefer you to go to your tutors first. There are also no differences in teaching styles (apart from the inherent differences between lecturers).

If you're combining engo with Arts, USYD is better for Arts. For Comm, people can't really decide on which (USYD people say USYD, UNSW people say UNSW), so I think both are ok but I would give the edge to USYD purely because of the Industry Placement Program.

USYD has a good campus atmosphere, though apparently the party scene at UNSW is better (although going to USYD doesn't preclude you from going to UNSW parties, I know people at USYD who still go to UNSW parties). Ranking doesn't matter at undergrad level (at least since both unis are similarly ranked).

I've been on exchange to the US (am still there). The process for exchange at UNSW is solely based off your WAM, while at USYD it's based off your WAM and a statement of purpose (and they also ask for academic references). I like the USYD process more as it's less dependent on your WAM and having a lower WAM than someone by a few marks won't automatically rule you out if both of you applied for the same uni. But then again, if you're gonna do really well at uni then USYD's process is probably not in your favour.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
I think the facilities for engo are more modern at UNSW. Regarding which uni has more approachable lecturers, I don't think many people can say for sure what the answer to this is but I assume it's the same at both unis. I know at USYD at least most lecturers are more than happy to talk to you if you don't understand anything, though they would prefer you to go to your tutors first. There are also no differences in teaching styles (apart from the inherent differences between lecturers).

If you're combining engo with Arts, USYD is better for Arts. For Comm, people can't really decide on which (USYD people say USYD, UNSW people say UNSW), so I think both are ok but I would give the edge to USYD purely because of the Industry Placement Program.

USYD has a good campus atmosphere, though apparently the party scene at UNSW is better (although going to USYD doesn't preclude you from going to UNSW parties, I know people at USYD who still go to UNSW parties). Ranking doesn't matter at undergrad level (at least since both unis are similarly ranked).

I've been on exchange to the US (am still there). The process for exchange at UNSW is solely based off your WAM, while at USYD it's based off your WAM and a statement of purpose (and they also ask for academic references). I like the USYD process more as it's less dependent on your WAM and having a lower WAM than someone by a few marks won't automatically rule you out if both of you applied for the same uni. But then again, if you're gonna do really well at uni then USYD's process is probably not in your favour.
Thanks for the reply!

Does it impact on the quality of work being done - the facilities being more modern? I've heard the EE building is not that great looking at USYD?
Do you regret not going to UNSW or are you happy with your USYD choice?

The industry placement program sounds interesting I'll research it more.

Hmm well I'm not sure which is better - maybe having a statement of purpose as well? I plan on doing well at uni but you never know. BTW how are you liking your exchange? How would you compare the classes you're currently taking (grading/assessments/lectures/teaching style) to those at USYD? Are there any major differences here and there?

Sorry for the tonne of questions :p

Silly Sausage

HSC
What are the facilities like for engineering at USYD compared to UNSW? Are there any major differences in teaching style? Also where are the lecturers more approachable?
I'm interested in EE or Software Engineering and will most likely be combining this with Commerce or Arts (undecided atm).
USYD is closer to where I'll live but the faculty/campus atmosphere is important to me. I know that UNSW is ranked ahead in both these fields but I'd like to hear any pro's and con's you may know of.
I plan on going on exchange in the US and hopefully continuing postgraduate study at a university there so having the chance to take part in research while still an undergraduate would be ideal (not sure if this is possible at either USYD or UNSW).
USYD Camperdown Campus definitely has a great atmosphere and will heaps more convenient. However, the majority of the Engineering faculty (Electrical included) is in the Darlington Campus which so so and their Engineering facilities overall are on par with typical public high-school facilities.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
USYD Camperdown Campus definitely has a great atmosphere and will heaps more convenient. However, the majority of the Engineering faculty (Electrical included) is in the Darlington Campus which so so and their Engineering facilities overall are on par with typical public high-school facilities.
This is the second time I'm hearing this today lol

etxpy

HSC
N/A
usyd master race

edit: dont do engineering but usyd has those massive liquid nitrogen tanks that I find interesting, so go usyd

clementinez

HSC
N/A
usyd master race

edit: dont do engineering but usyd has those massive liquid nitrogen tanks that I find interesting, so go usyd
yeah but hahaha those are probably for ChemE which I won't be doing so it makes no difference... I think USYD also has a flight simulator for aero students

Silly Sausage

HSC
yeah but hahaha those are probably for ChemE which I won't be doing so it makes no difference... I think USYD also has a flight simulator for aero students
Is it the one near the geoscience school? I have no idea what it's for but I doubt it's for ChemE.
ChemE school is the first building you see when you go to campus (assuming you're traveling from Redfern Station), which again, looks like a typical public school building.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
Is it the one near the geoscience school? I have no idea what it's for but I doubt it's for ChemE.
ChemE school is the first building you see when you go to campus (assuming you're traveling from Redfern Station), which again, looks like a typical public school building.
I'm sensing a pattern here..

on another note, I've been hearing such horrible things about USYD toilets?? What is up with that? Is it true? I know this is so random but anyway..

Silly Sausage

HSC
I'm sensing a pattern here..

on another note, I've been hearing such horrible things about USYD toilets?? What is up with that? Is it true? I know this is so random but anyway..
Everyone has their own 'secret toilet' lmao, take some time and you'll find one for sure.
In general, Fisher library toilets are pretty clean.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the reply!

Does it impact on the quality of work being done - the facilities being more modern? I've heard the EE building is not that great looking at USYD?
Do you regret not going to UNSW or are you happy with your USYD choice?

The industry placement program sounds interesting I'll research it more.

Hmm well I'm not sure which is better - maybe having a statement of purpose as well? I plan on doing well at uni but you never know. BTW how are you liking your exchange? How would you compare the classes you're currently taking (grading/assessments/lectures/teaching style) to those at USYD? Are there any major differences here and there?

Sorry for the tonne of questions :p
I don't think so. Maybe if it's a new building, you're more likely to go to the building to actually study? Idk, but it hasn't really affected me much. Yeah, as stated above the EE building is basically what you'd expect to see for a high school, but I wouldn't really put as much weight into this as other things because it's only really aesthetics, which doesn't affect anything apart from visual appeal.

I'm sure you plan on doing well, but regarding exchange you just need to be better than everyone else who applies. There's a thread somewhere in this forum which shows the WAM cutoffs for UNSW exchange programs, and some are above 90 (I think NYU was one of those). I'd suggest trying to find it to get an idea. I loved my exchange. US has less of a focus on tutorials, and more on lectures. Grading is ridiculously easy, we only need a pass to get credit for exchange subjects and knowing that I procrastinated and went out quite a bit, and yet still did really well grades-wise. Grade inflation is quite prominent in the US.

dw haha, that's what a forum is for

EDIT: Also btw here's a list of the unis that USYD has an exchange partnership with: http://sydney.edu.au/dam/corporate/...exchange/Sydney-Uni-Exchange-Partner-List.pdf

Last edited:

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
USYD has its own plane for aero students. I don't think it flies though... (but I could be wrong)

lol yeah, and right across it you see the incredibly modern Law building. It's an interesting contrast.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
I don't think so. Maybe if it's a new building, you're more likely to go to the building to actually study? Idk, but it hasn't really affected me much. Yeah, as stated above the EE building is basically what you'd expect to see for a high school, but I wouldn't really put as much weight into this as other things because it's only really aesthetics, which doesn't affect anything apart from visual appeal.

I'm sure you plan on doing well, but regarding exchange you just need to be better than everyone else who applies. There's a thread somewhere in this forum which shows the WAM cutoffs for UNSW exchange programs, and some are above 90 (I think NYU was one of those). I'd suggest trying to find it to get an idea. I loved my exchange. US has less of a focus on tutorials, and more on lectures. Grading is ridiculously easy, we only need a pass to get credit for exchange subjects and knowing that I procrastinated and went out quite a bit, and yet still did really well grades-wise. Grade inflation is quite prominent in the US.

dw haha, that's what a forum is for

EDIT: Also btw here's a list of the unis that USYD has an exchange partnership with: http://sydney.edu.au/dam/corporate/...exchange/Sydney-Uni-Exchange-Partner-List.pdf
As long as it's just aesthetics and doesn't impact on the quality of equipment being used I'm fine with it.

That's the plan although you can't really plan WAM/GPA but I can hope.

Seems like a nice experience. I've been looking into UCB and some of the Ivies.

Thanks for the link btw.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
USYD has its own plane for aero students. I don't think it flies though... (but I could be wrong)

lol yeah, and right across it you see the incredibly modern Law building. It's an interesting contrast.
lol it DOESN'T fly... still cool though

clementinez

HSC
N/A
is biomedical engineering better in usyd or unsw?
short answer UNSW.

USYD has an undergraduate biomedical engineering degree which basically throws in some EE, some ME and basic science. At UNSW you pick an engineering discipline (EE, ME, SENG, ChemE, Telco, Mechatronics, Bioinformatics) and you combine it with a Masters in Biomedical Engineering which makes finding a job in a traditional field much easier (as a backup) considering biomedical engineering is not that widespread in Australia. I believe employers prefer someone with a Masters in Biomedical not straight undergrad. UNSW is also working on a Bionic Eye if you're interested.

USYD is 4 yrs, UNSW is 5.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2016/3768.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)