Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Mechatronics and General maths

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    3

    Mechatronics and General maths

    Uni students who have taken Mechtronics or any engineering courses but only studied general maths during the HSC, how are you coping?

  2. #2
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,850
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    You should really check out the specific subjects required for the degree at various unis. At UNSW you are required to complete math 1a and 1b. It's pretty difficult, 3 unit math is assumed. You will struggle a lot to pass IMO.

    The math courses required at other unis might vary, you'll have to check up on that.

    There's always the option of taking a foundations in math course at uni, where you learn 2/3 unit math. Obviously you will probably be behind a semester or two in math - but if you really want to do it, doesn't sound like a big deal at all (I'm doing this with chem). Doing this at uni, rather than trying to cram 2 unit AND 3 unit before uni sounds much more doable IMO.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  3. #3
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,830
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    These people are very rare if at all they exist

    3u is pretty average and a high talent for math

    (Current mechatronic student)
    MX1 Notes | http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering [Mechatronics] @UNSW

  4. #4
    Loquacious One
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,703
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Yet another Engineering aspirant - doing only General Maths (presumably).
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

  5. #5
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    1,749
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Quote Originally Posted by Drongoski View Post
    Yet another Engineering aspirant - doing only General Maths (presumably).
    I just don't get why Uni can't make it a prerequisite.
    akkatracker likes this.

  6. #6
    Loquacious One
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,703
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Quote Originally Posted by si2136 View Post
    I just don't get why Uni can't make it a prerequisite.
    Didn't I suggest possible reasons to you already?
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

  7. #7
    Rambling Spirit
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,039
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    USyd is planning on making 2U Maths a prerequisite for several degrees.

  8. #8
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    1,749
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Quote Originally Posted by Drongoski View Post
    Didn't I suggest possible reasons to you already?
    I don't remember.

  9. #9
    Loquacious One
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,703
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Remember the "Question about the Maths involved in Actuarial Studies" thread?
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

  10. #10
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    1,749
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Quote Originally Posted by Drongoski View Post
    Remember the "Question about the Maths involved in Actuarial Studies" thread?
    I have to go back to your post, because I don't get reply notifications on BOS or follow up on threads.

    Interesting

  11. #11
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, New South Wales
    Posts
    1,885
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Quote Originally Posted by InteGrand View Post
    USyd is planning on making 2U Maths a prerequisite for several degrees.
    Do you think thats a good thing ? bad?

    Im going to say it right here, I reckon a Band 5 or better General Maths students would be able to cut the mustard in Sydney Uni Science courses (i.e major in Chem, Biology, Psychology)
    | B Eng (Hons) | IB Mathematics SL | IB Mathematics HL | Australian Cricket | Casual University Statistics Tutor

  12. #12
    Loquacious One
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,703
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Quote Originally Posted by davidgoes4wce View Post
    Do you think thats a good thing ? bad?

    Im going to say it right here, I reckon a Band 5 or better General Maths students would be able to cut the mustard in Sydney Uni Science courses (i.e major in Chem, Biology, Psychology)
    Depends on which branch of Chemistry? The more qualitative areas of Chemistry, perhaps. And certainly not for Physics.
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

  13. #13
    Rambling Spirit
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,039
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Also Biology is generally not very mathematical.
    kawaiipotato likes this.

  14. #14
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    1,749
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Any of you guys recommend Finance/Qualitative Risk at UNSW or Actuarial Studies/Finance?

  15. #15
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,850
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Quote Originally Posted by davidgoes4wce View Post
    Do you think thats a good thing ? bad?

    Im going to say it right here, I reckon a Band 5 or better General Maths students would be able to cut the mustard in Sydney Uni Science courses (i.e major in Chem, Biology, Psychology)
    I think the unis should just instead have courses that give students who didn't do those required subjects the needed knowledge. They have this already for chem, and for math they have 3u equivalent courses I'm pretty sure - wouldn't hurt to have a course for those who did general that included 2u.

    I don't really agree with cutting a student out entirely just because they didn't do a subject. Let them sacrifice a bit of time and do those requirements at uni. Or does TAFE or another institute have courses just for 1 HSC subject over a shorter period, like 13 weeks or so, so not too much time is lost? Either way, I think it'd be easier to do it at uni, so the student could also get on with their other courses that don't require that thing they missed out on.
    Red_of_Head and clementinez like this.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  16. #16
    Junior Member clementinez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Serenity
    Posts
    149
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    I think the unis should just instead have courses that give students who didn't do those required subjects the needed knowledge. They have this already for chem, and for math they have 3u equivalent courses I'm pretty sure - wouldn't hurt to have a course for those who did general that included 2u.

    I don't really agree with cutting a student out entirely just because they didn't do a subject. Let them sacrifice a bit of time and do those requirements at uni. Or does TAFE or another institute have courses just for 1 HSC subject over a shorter period, like 13 weeks or so, so not too much time is lost? Either way, I think it'd be easier to do it at uni, so the student could also get on with their other courses that don't require that thing they missed out on.
    Completely agree with this.

    General Maths is of no help for engineering so to the OP - you will struggle immensely with only general. General maths is not "real" maths so to say. I started off in general in year 11 because I wanted to do maths but was afraid of failing and two weeks later I dropped it and moved to 2 unit because I couldn't handle the repetitive, boring nature of the course.
    If you want to do engineering 2 unit is the bear minimum for surviving and even then you'd have to go through 3 unit in your own time.
    I have heard of a couple students doing engineering with a background in general but they spent the time between their HSC and uni catching up on 2/3 unit maths. You can't go in with just a knowledge of general.

  17. #17
    Loquacious One turntaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,957
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    General is the way to go with engineering since high school maths teachers never teach correctly and general maths teaches you basically no maths.

    This means you can get good quality maths education at uni from scratch which will highly benefit you since others who have done 2u or higher will have to spend hours eliminating their bad high school maths habits.

    So do not worry
    "I have crippling depression" -Mahatma Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    lol

  18. #18
    Junior Member clementinez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Serenity
    Posts
    149
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    two words for you OP: Khan Academy

  19. #19
    Loquacious One turntaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,957
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Quote Originally Posted by clementinez View Post
    two words for you OP: Khan Academy
    this^

    Basically taught myself the whole subject in a week using Khan.
    "I have crippling depression" -Mahatma Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    lol

  20. #20
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, New South Wales
    Posts
    1,885
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    I'm going to say there is hope for General Maths students out there. Currently, tutoring a General Maths student and I seriously think the kid , (Band 6) at the moment could have and would be able to do Engineering or Science related maths course. I have tutored a student in the past who also said to me he wanted to do Engineering , with only a General Maths background. There are bridging courses, Youtube links out there that enable that knowledge to be gained.

    I said this before in another thread , if you are in Year 9 or Year 10 5.3 maths class, you should without any hesitation choose 2 Unit maths or higher in Year 11. The standard is no more difficult than General.

    General Maths is only slightly behind in content in comparison to the IB Mathematical Studies. (In studies they cover the basics of differentiation which is more than catchable in about 4-6 weeks)

    I also am not sure how strict universities , over here are with pre-requisites and what not. But I do get the feeling if you believe you have good reason to do a certain course, the university will let you do it. (i.e you did a bridging course like http://sydney.edu.au/science/fstuden...bridging.shtml where if you showed you have taken some assessments and have sufficient background THEY will let you do a course. )
    | B Eng (Hons) | IB Mathematics SL | IB Mathematics HL | Australian Cricket | Casual University Statistics Tutor

  21. #21
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, New South Wales
    Posts
    1,885
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Speaking of that short course at U Syd, I might be interested in doing Biology for a giggle next year.
    | B Eng (Hons) | IB Mathematics SL | IB Mathematics HL | Australian Cricket | Casual University Statistics Tutor

  22. #22
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, New South Wales
    Posts
    1,885
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    UNSW also offer a bridging course over summer

    http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/files...reen_17dec.pdf
    | B Eng (Hons) | IB Mathematics SL | IB Mathematics HL | Australian Cricket | Casual University Statistics Tutor

  23. #23
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, New South Wales
    Posts
    1,885
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Same too for UTS , its never to late to learn!
    | B Eng (Hons) | IB Mathematics SL | IB Mathematics HL | Australian Cricket | Casual University Statistics Tutor

  24. #24
    Loquacious One
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,703
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Quote Originally Posted by davidgoes4wce View Post
    I'm going to say there is hope for General Maths students out there. Currently, tutoring a General Maths student and I seriously think the kid , (Band 6) at the moment could have and would be able to do Engineering or Science related maths course. I have tutored a student in the past who also said to me he wanted to do Engineering , with only a General Maths background. There are bridging courses, Youtube links out there that enable that knowledge to be gained.

    I said this before in another thread , if you are in Year 9 or Year 10 5.3 maths class, you should without any hesitation choose 2 Unit maths or higher in Year 11. The standard is no more difficult than General.

    General Maths is only slightly behind in content in comparison to the IB Mathematical Studies. (In studies they cover the basics of differentiation which is more than catchable in about 4-6 weeks)

    I also am not sure how strict universities , over here are with pre-requisites and what not. But I do get the feeling if you believe you have good reason to do a certain course, the university will let you do it. (i.e you did a bridging course like http://sydney.edu.au/science/fstuden...bridging.shtml where if you showed you have taken some assessments and have sufficient background THEY will let you do a course. )
    You're certainly being more magnanimous and optimistic. There are perhaps a small minority of the General Maths cohort who can easily handle 2U. Students from this minority, like mattstaker, have not picked Maths 2U, in a possibly misguided thinking that they are going to ace their General and hence boost their ATAR. But in my view, the typical Maths General student, who are not quite able to do 2U, are unlikely to handle the typical maths in Engineering - you, having done Engineering, would know that better than me. I'd like to know how many students with only General maths completed a solid Engineering degree.

    I also don't agree that General Maths is anywhere close to the IB's Maths Studies. The level of maths in General is laughable.

    I also don't believe you can in a matter of a few weeks of the crash course in Bridging Maths cover what has taken the typical Maths Ext 1 student a full 2-year of study. Wouldn't it be nice: just complete a 2 or 3-week bridging course and you'd have done the equivalent of the full Maths Ext 1 or the Maths Ext 2. Can the students, typically with a weaker aptitude for maths, be able to absorb so much higher-level stuff in a mere 2 to 3 weeks? No way!
    Last edited by Drongoski; 5 Jul 2016 at 5:27 PM.
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

  25. #25
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,850
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Mechatronics and General maths

    Quote Originally Posted by davidgoes4wce View Post
    UNSW also offer a bridging course over summer

    http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/files...reen_17dec.pdf
    A general math student would not be able to complete a 3u bridging course. You need 2u.
    clementinez likes this.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •