Is chemical engineering a good idea in Australia? (1 Viewer)

Mathew587

HSC
Hey guys,
That q's for a friend of mine

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
yes, engineering imo would be in high demand. Have a look at career websites and see what type of jobs are available right now

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
From what I know, there isn't a lot of chemical engineering opportunities in Australia per se unless the said friend is willing to go overseas.

Sp3ctre

HSC
From what I know, there isn't a lot of chemical engineering opportunities in Australia per se unless the said friend is willing to go overseas.
Agreed, many of my friends have had trouble finding jobs.

ttiimm

HSC
It depends on why he's interested in ChemEng in the first place, and what alternatives he has. The lack of manufacturing in .au affects all engineering fields, but there are still piles of jobs for ChemEngineers in places like Orica, Dulux etc. If he's choosing between different areas of engineering, then perhaps there might be others that are growing more now (civil?), but if he's keen on chem and is choosing between engineering or science then ChemEng probably offers more opportunities.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Unfortunately also agree with strawberrye and the others (soz square), opportunities are there but it's also quite competitive. That said, it's certainly not a bad idea since there's so much competition in every field now

joshman94

HSC
Like others have said it is a competitive field although basically every degree at this point is, especially engineering degrees. It is also true that Australia doesn't have the manufacturing infrastructure like the US or other countries. The Largest employers of chemical engineers in Australia are resource companies (oil, gas, mining, energy), which offer great graduate pay due to the nature of the work as it's mostly FIFO or rural. I think if you're determined and willing to put in effort you will be able to find graduate employment. Myself and a number of other people in my cohort have received an offer or multiple for grad work and I'm not exactly a top student.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)