Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pikachu975
  • 1 Post By Squar3root

Thread: UTS or UNSW engineering?

HSC

UTS or UNSW engineering?

Mechatronic Engineering which is best in a long run .....
    Employment ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: UTS or UNSW engineering?

In UNSW engineering, you can't graduate until you have done 3 months of industrial training (which you will have to find yourself), so on one hand, compulsory work experience before graduating will make you more employable, on the other hand, if you don't find the relevant job experience in sufficient time, you can't graduate so...

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Rishipreetam View Post
    Mechatronic Engineering which is best in a long run .....
    Employment ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Employment only matters if you're a good candidate or not. An employer won't be like "omg he went UNSW let's hire him", they'll look at you as a candidate regardless of your uni.

However pretty sure UNSW is the best for engineering in NSW at least so defs recommend that
    Last edited by pikachu975; 7 May 2018 at 3:51 AM.
    LightOfTheSeven likes this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

The fees at uts are probably cheaper

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    The fees at uts are probably cheaper
    it's the exact same actually

unsw fees

uts fees
    MX1 Notes | http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering [Mechatronics] @UNSW

HSC
    Uni Grad

I would recommend UNSW engineering
    pikachu975 likes this.
    MX1 Notes | http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering [Mechatronics] @UNSW

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    In UNSW engineering, you can't graduate until you have done 3 months of industrial training (which you will have to find yourself)
    It's like this everywhere; it's an Engineers Australia requirement to have done 60 days of work experience in order to finish an engineering degree (whether you study in NSW, QLD, WA, etc).
    Sydney Secondary College BWB Campus
    Mechanical Engineering/Commerce (Finance) @ USYD

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Amundies View Post
    It's like this everywhere; it's an Engineers Australia requirement to have done 60 days of work experience in order to finish an engineering degree (whether you study in NSW, QLD, WA, etc).
    Thank you for the clarification.
    From what I have heard, UTS finds the 60 days of work experience for the student (which I guess is much easier compared to UNSW where students have to find the placement themselves)

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    Thank you for the clarification.
    From what I have heard, UTS finds the 60 days of work experience for the student (which I guess is much easier compared to UNSW where students have to find the placement themselves)
    Ah right yeah I think UTS does have something different. I think they have to do like a year in industry (or maybe that's just an option for them), but the fact that they find it for you is unique to them.

HSC

The one year work experience/internship is part of the degree unless you're an international student or doing a double degree.

I'm only a first year student at UTS, but overall I have had mostly positive experiences. One of my main complaints is that you have to do a subject called "engineering communication which is meant to help develop written and oral communication skills, which I absolutely hate and I think is a waste of time. Its not fun when your whole group does nothing and you have to do a whole assessment by yourself. I don't think UNSW has a subjects like that from what I've heard.Though I don't regret my choice choosing UTS over UNSW(at least so far). Regardless if you're looking for a more "academic" university with more competition, UNSW is the way to go. Otherwise if you don't really care about prestige and such, its better to go with the one thats more convenient for you. Like what pikachu said, employers don't really care which university you came from as long as you're a suitable candidate.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by ShootingDuck View Post
    Its not fun when your whole group does nothing and you have to do a whole assessment by yourself.
    lmao welcome to uni bud, get used to this cos you're gonna get a lot more of it over the next 4 years.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by ShootingDuck View Post
    The one year work experience/internship is part of the degree unless you're an international student or doing a double degree.

I'm only a first year student at UTS, but overall I have had mostly positive experiences. One of my main complaints is that you have to do a subject called "engineering communication which is meant to help develop written and oral communication skills, which I absolutely hate and I think is a waste of time. Its not fun when your whole group does nothing and you have to do a whole assessment by yourself. I don't think UNSW has a subjects like that from what I've heard.Though I don't regret my choice choosing UTS over UNSW(at least so far). Regardless if you're looking for a more "academic" university with more competition, UNSW is the way to go. Otherwise if you don't really care about prestige and such, its better to go with the one thats more convenient for you. Like what pikachu said, employers don't really care which university you came from as long as you're a suitable candidate.
    Actually UNSW has a pretty similar course, from what I know the course was called professional engineering and communication-which goes through stuff like ethics and communication, and one of my friends who did it complained about how arbitrary the marks seems to be allocated, and I think the student complaint about the course was so significant it got to the point that the actual faculty was considering of changing/restructuring the course. I think sometimes you will have to suffer through subjects you don't like in order to do the subjects you do like-perhaps as you enter later years of uni and get to do more electives, you might enjoy it more

And yes, it does suck when you do everyone else's work, but I think you need to remember this might not necessarily apply to every project, and if you can do the whole thing yourself-you have proven yourself more capable then rest, and it is a good opportunity to use it as an example in a job interview to show that you are adaptable, versatile as well as having a significant amount of self-initiative. With a lot of things in life, sometimes when you view things a different way, you can come to a completely different result by adopting a different attitude towards the task, and you just might end up learning/enjoying it more than you will otherwise : )

Thread Information