99.30 Aeronautical Space Engineering (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Why is the entrance UAI so high? Is there a chance that they'll lower this in years to come? Like open new classes to accommodate for increased demand etc (I'm class of 04, hopefully it falls to a more realistic 97 or so by then) Sorry, but I have no idea on what drives the fluctations in UAIs for uni courses over the years.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The cut-off is high because the demand is high and there aren't many places available... I doubt they'll provide any more places (the industry isn't very lucrative), and I -suppose- the demand could drop, but it seems unlikely...

If you're really desperate to do it and you don't make the cut-off, you can do normal aeronautical engineering and attempt to transfer.

Giant Lobster

HSC
What's the difference between the 99 and the 93 one? They both have the almighty A word in it... but naturally people (Like me) wud tend to go for the higher one just for the sake of it.. but then again, what is the difference?
Do you still end up with identical degrees after your 4 years or whatever?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I don't know the details, but the higher one is to do with space. ;)

Lower one deals with planes, higher one deals with spacecraft... something of that nature. You'd be better off asking them. I think the first year is the same for both degrees.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Im just imagining how cool it would be to be employed by NASA. Wow that'll be soo cool, way cooler than a lawyer or doctor / surgeon / neurosurgeon imo... my distant dream. Ahh nuts, they want someone 'good'.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i wanted to be a fireman when i was young........but yeah whatever :D

aerospace engi is like the dream course for the people who do sciences so demand has to be high

and its needs the 99+ tag for it to have any *respect* :p

Giant Lobster

HSC
aerospace engi is like the dream course for the people who do sciences
fully agree.. but 99 is prolly too high for anti-english ppl like me.. *sob*

edit::
Has anyone successfully transferred from a lower uai course to a higher one once in uni? If so, is it harder than getting a 99 uai? or much easier?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yes it is harder than getting a 99 uai...cos to transfer i would say u need a distinction average...i think there was another thread which was discussing this...how some ppl were brilliant at school and did meagrely in their GPA's...

so yeh whle it is theoretically possible, you're best bet would be to study hard now and prevent yourself from havign to study EXTRA hard later on in uni...

Giant Lobster

HSC
Ok, another question. Suppose I am successful in transferring, does that mean all the work i did in my first year are wasted and i have to start bottom up?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i heard something about a girl who transferred from arts to arts/law. and she got 95 UAI or something.

i think if you do a similar course in the first year, some of the subjects are the same.. so they'll count towards your new course thingy.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep
If your first year courses are the same as first year courses in your new degree, then u are exempted from them, coz u already done them

inasero

Reborn
HSC
but that isnt the case for med...even if u r doing say medical sciences...u have to start from bottom up unfortunately~

maniacguy

The main reason for that is that med doesn't break up into separate subjects - there's one subject called Med I that takes up 18 units of credit. Hence if you've done the chemistry you might be exempted from that part, but the anatomy and so forth will be new, and so you have to enrol in Med I with the uni...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)