how many hours of reading does everyone do (1 Viewer)

**blu_rose**

HSC
i just wanna know how much ppl generally study and what they're marks average out to be?

Generator

HSC
N/A
**blu_rose** said:
i just wanna know how much ppl generally study and what they're marks average out to be?
Some people study to excessive and only manage to pass each unit, but others may get by with minimal effort and achieve Cs or Ds. Add to that the fact the study requirements of each unit vary (sometimes to a considerable degree), and it becomes quite clear that asking for generalised responses is not the greatest way of working out what may be best for you.

If you'd like to know what is required of you, I'm afraid that the only person who will be able to respond to such a question is you. I suggest that you take note of what your lecturers and tutors recommend (they set the workload and the assessment schedules, after all) and the amount of work (required and recommended) that is before you, and then act accordingly. Of course, it stands to reason that if you are unsure it would be best to study all that is before you as opposed to the bare minimum, but that is something for you to determine on your own.

If you'd like some pointers as to ways in which to study more effectively, I'm sure that there are many here who would be willing to help, but when it comes to what is required of you, I'm sorry to say that there's not much that we as complete strangers can offer beyond a few generic pointers.

Edit: As insightful and interesting as our study stories may be, I don't think that they will be of any personal benefit to you. That is just me, though, and I'm sure that there are many who will be more than willing to respond to your question with the sort of response that you are seeking.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I usually don't open my textbook until the week before exams unless there are assessment questions or maybe tutorial questions in there. I can't be bothered reading the chapters before the lecture because that is what the lecture is for.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I'm at uni 10hours/week and I usually do double that in reading/working on assignments etc at home

I'm on a comfortable D average

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I do a huge amount of reading which is what seems to be required if you do most of your required reading. I would say that I would have to read at least twenty hours a week but a lot of that time is probably spent staring at the page and taking absolutely nothing in:p.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
damn ur nuts
ill get turned off after 1 hr of reading
unless something i read is interesting ill certainly get turned off

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
I started off uni studying doing maybe an hour a day reading ahead. A few weeks in I would just study in lectures and tutes by paying attention. A few months in I would study by turning up to tutorials and listening to the answers. A year in I would study by writing essays. Luckily I stopped getting worse and stick to studying via essays and graduate :)

External/Online Study notes were my savious for a lot of subjects.

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
The uni says 2 hours preparation time per hour in class so for me that would mean I should be doing 28 hrs does that sound realistic?
Sounds about right.

This sem, I've got no subjects with any 'wider' or 'further readings', so I'm just doing the readings/homework and finish for the night.

It looks like I'll be 'studying' for the first time in a while -- I've got 5 hours of hieroglyphs on Tuesdays, and will be getting extra tutoring as well as doing all the exercises.

Legal studies is pretty basic, just readings and such. Law will be a bit less basic, but the readings are just a bit bigger. Archaeology is a breeze. So hoorah for me :D

I wouldn't recommend doing x hours per night unless you have a subject in need of revision (rather than reading/homework) -- just say to yourself 'I need to do this topic, this one, and this one, and will have a break every half hour until I'm done. It should take around an hour and a half'.

Lainee

HSC
I've always gotten away with minimal study time, and still get high marks. I think it's because I try to do as much as possible in as little time as possible, so I have time to do me things.

I suppose, last semester, I did an average of 12 hours study a week. Even before exams I don't do that much study - just condense the notes I've already written during semester.

I do a lot of my reading (especially for law subjects) on the train on the way to and from uni. I think I manage my time quite effectively.

santaslayer

HSC
Lainee said:
I've always gotten away with minimal study time, and still get high marks. I think it's because I try to do as much as possible in as little time as possible, so I have time to do me things.

I suppose, last semester, I did an average of 12 hours study a week. Even before exams I don't do that much study - just condense the notes I've already written during semester.

I do a lot of my reading (especially for law subjects) on the train on the way to and from uni. I think I manage my time quite effectively.
The train is bad. Esp in peak hours. OMFG. People shout at the top of their lungs when they're speaking to the person next to them. Can't concentrate. Ipod is better. :p

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I don't really need to 'study' because I don't have exams, but I still do my readings most of the time. My degree has a HEAVY reading load. This semester one of my media subjects has so many extra readings they had to print 2 readers.

To be honest I don't take notice of the '2 hours per subject' rule or whatever it is. I only do as much work as I need to in order to keep up to speed with the content and understand it.

Last edited:

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
the train is the most effective place i study, for some reason. I've also managed to write whole essays on the train on the trip there and back combined, and then only ahd to type it up and proof read at home, managing to get HDs for those essays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)