USYD vs UNSW (1 Viewer)

Always

HSC
Can someone outline the differences between these two unis?

This is not about courses. I'm talking about the social life, campus, travel, timetable, holidays, lecturers, whatever else you can think of!

Thanks. :)

Always

HSC
So you can stalk me? You're freaking me out..

phrred

HSC
Always said:
Can someone outline the differences between these two unis?

This is not about courses. I'm talking about the social life, campus, travel, timetable, holidays, lecturers, whatever else you can think of!

Thanks. :)
social life- hard to say. brogan will say sydney others will say unsw. depends on your personality really. id say sydney is more relaxed n unsw has more of a pulse n asians

sydney campus is larger and spreadout across different blocks (good or bad thing), UNSW is together on one large block so i guess its easier to get around and meet people from diff faculties.

by travel i guess u mean how easy it is to get to and from the uni. Sydney is closer to the city and near train stations.
UNSW ud need to get a bus for 15-20 from the city unless u live east then it would be more convenient to go to unsw

timetable- i believe UNSW is much more flexible with more night lectures for workers but they offer less courses in the summer session

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Social life has already been covered here.

The lecturers from each university are people who do research in their field, and who actually do the stuff they're talking about, so they're cool. Each university has their fair share of crappy lecturers I assume, and each has their fair share of 100/100 lecturers, like UNSW's Mike Archer.

I understand that USyd has a more complex and crappy timetable selection system, whereas UNSW is done over the internet and it's quite easy.

UNSW's campus, despite it's suburban setting is much more urban in it's style. USyd has abundant lawns next to Victoria Park, whereas UNSW has concentrated nature areas and a lot of large buildings. I personally prefer USyd's campus, but only because of the area in which it's set around.

Getting to USyd is an ass pain. I know one person who gets off at Central and walks there along Broadway, and I know another who gets off at Redfern and has to walk there also. Either way, you've got to walk through a crummy neighbourhood which takes about 10-15 minutes depending on which side of the uni you've got to get to. UNSW has express buses from Central, which also take 15 minutes to get there during peak hour. It all depends on whether you're lazy, and if you like Redfern.

Also, if you live on the Airport/East Hills line, you're in for a sucky time getting there by train. Leaving early in the morning is fine, as there's always a bunch of trains that are City via Refern express trains, as well as a few via Wolli Creek trains. Unfortunately, if you're travelling in any time outside of peak hour, then the trains will go via Wolli Creek without fail, and you'll have to get off there to change to an Eastern Suburbs train to get to Redfern. That's why the person mentioned before gets off at Central, because it works out quicker. The same idea goes in the afternoons, although there generally seems to be a few more via Redfern trains in those hours.

Holidays are abundant at any uni, no problems there. I hope that helped a bit.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
5 minute walk from Redfern.
In that case, it takes 10 mins to get to UNSW by bus. There's no way it takes 5 minutes to walk there, unless you're powerwalking and you're in the first building on the Darlington campus, whatever it is.

Both unis have lots of ugly buildings as well. Applied Science at UNSW is better looking than the horrible Fischer library.

Also, there's no such place as Kingston. Kensington doesn't have a whole lot, but if you're really into going places during your breaks, there's Randwick that's about 10 minutes away. Even less if you catch a Bondi Junction bus, and hey, you could even go to Bondi Junction!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yeah, but it takes way longer to go from Redfern to Bondi Junction via train, than by bus from UNSW. I suppose the train line from Martin Place to Bondi Junction is a lot more scenic than the bus trip though.

tres bien

you suck.
HSC
N/A
USYD has:
-hotter people
-better fashion sense
-theatresports
-better looking buildings

We have Broadway shopping centre close by, as well as all of Newtown with mad food and mad shops.

Getting to USyd is an ass pain. I know one person who gets off at Central and walks there along Broadway, and I know another who gets off at Redfern and has to walk there also. Either way, you've got to walk through a crummy neighbourhood which takes about 10-15 minutes depending on which side of the uni you've got to get to.
It may take that long, but I certainly don't notice it. I got used to it!
I'd think getting to UNSW would be a pain in the arse too. You can't walk to there from Central Station.

lala2

Banned
HSC
USYD--walk from Redfern, walk from Central, or catch a bus from Central
UNSW--have to catch bus--there's no other way. But it's much more convenient if you live in the eastern suburbs--the bus from Bondi Junction to City Road I heard takes at least a good 40 minutes if not more.

dora_18

HSC
Everyone is going to be biased towards their own uni, not many people will say their uni completely sucks. As for lecturers...you can't really compare such a thing, i mean OBVIOUSLY you know the lecturers who take you..but as if i would know what the law or economics lecturers are like.
It depends what you want out of uni...USYD and UTS is closer to the city, so either one does it for me. Obviously USYD is really pretty because its made from sandstone...but honestly people its not that great(especially if you do a health science course and have to go to SCUMBO-now that really sucks.) and i prefer the modern feel to UTS sometimes more.

on the other hand...personally I like USYD for 2 reasons
-its close to city
-its got a queer society ;)
I would never go to UNSW...its so boring and dull and yuck-or so it seems..the only parts i like are the medicine building. I dunno..ive never taken a good feel to it, but others love it so hey!

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
white person? usyd
asian? unsw
not white or asian? well have fun being a minority group

dora_18

HSC
blackfriday said:
white person? usyd
asian? unsw
not white or asian? well have fun being a minority group
lol...there are a few asians @ USYD-but god nowhere near as many as UNSW... Which for me is good at times-because i can be racist :p

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
-its close to city
I really don't think that's a selling point of the university. Each is in the inner metro area, and each is far enough from the center of the CBD to have to catch a bus there. USyd is closer, but it's not as if you could really say it's that much of a benefit to get a bus trip that's a whole 3 minutes shorter.

dora_18

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I really don't think that's a selling point of the university. Each is in the inner metro area, and each is far enough from the center of the CBD to have to catch a bus there. USyd is closer, but it's not as if you could really say it's that much of a benefit to get a bus trip that's a whole 3 minutes shorter.
As if you need to catch a bus from USYD to get into the CBD! its like a 5min walk

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
^Agreed

There's no way in hell that's a five minute walk. And that's only to somewhere near Town Hall. Besides, look at all those traffic lights the bus from USyd would have to contend with. The bus to Circular Quay (getting off at Museum) has to travel along the much calmer ANZAC parade, only contending with that type of fuss when it gets to Oxford Street. And besides, everyone loves Oxford Street.

UNSW!

Always

HSC
Thanks guys.

I'm still confused - which has the better social life?

Do many people drive or get driven to uni, or is a bit silly? :s

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Always said:
Thanks guys.

I'm still confused - which has the better social life?

Do many people drive or get driven to uni, or is a bit silly? :s
If you go to a university in Sydney it is - that is unless you can afford to pay thousands in parking fees. Always, if you aren't living on campus you'll find that the social life at both universities is pretty similar. You'll meet friends, you'll join a few clubs on market day (none of which you'll really involve yourself with later in the year) and you'll go to the pub after class. The only differences between the two have already been mentioned in this thread -

UNSW

In Kensington
Asians
Less Grass

Usyd

Not in Kensington
Fewer Asians
More Grass

So, if you like grass - go to Usyd.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Do you reckon there are more selective school kids at UNSW?

And more preppy white guys at USyd?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)