maths and finance (1 Viewer)

iTCHeZ

Da Fei GHeY
HSC
i dont really know much about maths and finance but i know quite a few people doing that course
at the moment, i have the impression that they are doing alot of work for all i can say...there are no bludge subjects for the 2nd semester.... im doing the same maths as they are and it gets harder and harder of course. that's uni for you

Last edited:

dvse

HSC
N/A
I can't say about UTS, but I know of two people who are doing BCom(Finance) / Bsc (Applied Maths) at UNSW and they are rather happy with it.
In fact it's a very good idea to do a Maths major if you want to understand any of the models in financial literature at all (or any of the more complex ones used in practice) . Majoring in finance alone would be of very little help there as it simply doesn't give you enough needed background.
Of course this is only relevant if you are interested in more technical aspects of finance, in which case i could also recommend taking some subjects on mathematical computing and databases if structure of the program permits.

Hope this helps.

Sazzy

I'm thinking of doing maths and finance at uts also. I was talking to the guy who's doing his honours this yr in that and he said that ppl doing this course have more of a advantage over the business people majoring in finance. It's because they know the mathematical stuff and the business ppl don't or something like that. It seems like a very good course.

Marianna

the only prob I've found with maths and finance is that the course gives you no professional recognition with any of the relevant organisations like ASIC or the Australian Bankers Institute which has turned me off the course

also there isn't alot of room to move around... my cousin does the course and loves it she's a maths freak but I think for me there isn't enough choice

Etailken

Yeh, I put it down as one of my pref, but i'm wondering y the uai for that course is quite low? anyone got an answer?

Dumbarse

"the only prob I've found with maths and finance is that the course gives you no professional recognition with any of the relevant organisations like ASIC or the Australian Bankers Institute which has turned me off the course "

funny ive heard the exact opposite , i heard they are in demand and business's and stuff are looking for them over straight business people

dvse

HSC
N/A
I don't believe any finance degree can lead to professional recognition. You would need to complete some additional external exams to qualify (for example CFA).

The opposite is true for actuarial studies.

If you major in finance and maths, you can always take actuarial exams through IAA, your degree will definitely help you there, especially if you do statistics. Be warned that there is considerable amount of work - you need to pass 11 exams to qualify for associateship. It can also be rather expensive at $400
per exam.

Check out IAA website for details - www.actuaries.asn.au

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)