Tutoring? (1 Viewer)

Thoughts on tutoring?

• Tutoring is my life, I have more than 1 tutor.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Casual basis, couple hours a week. I am not a study machine.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I find it really helps my school work. Better off by doing it.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Yeah I go, dont\' really want to be there, parents made me.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Nope never have, never will. Don\'t need too

Votes: 20 32.3%

• Total voters

SkAnDi

HSC
Who here receives extraneous tutoring for school?

The majority of my school i would say actively do tutoring/used to go to tutoring. I really can't name any "asian" at my school who DOESNT go to tutoring actually. Seems to be a big thing in that crowd.

Personally,

I had tutoring for Phys, 3u, and chem for year 11 (chem for half of year 11). ANd then in year 12, had tutoring for phys, 4u and 3u.

It ended up taking about 5 hrs a week, about $250 a month.

I wonder how i would have gone if i *hadn't* of had tutoring.

roo

HSC
I only get tutoring for my weak subjects: 3U maths and English, 3 hrs a week. $250 a month? thats pretty cheap.. mum spends about $150 a week on me (double including my twin). but i go to a private school and she believes that i shouldn't get tutoring because she already spends enough on me.. hmph.. need it desperately tho.. heheh ;) :p

Winston

HSC
i dont believe in them
i mean u can do good by urself
just the matter of asking ur own teacher for help

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
i've been to various tutors.
i dont have any at the moment
they have mostly been when i have missed stuff at school ie had a very very bad teacher or was away a great deal.
the thing is i would get tutoring if i could find good people
im looking for a chem tutor at the moment
i got one for a while and it was a good idea. .. but yeah i dont go to that tutor any more for certain reasons..
the best tutor was the one i had for 4u maths - i didn't have a teacher so i did it by correspondence with a tutor
cept he was $90 and hour and tutored most students 4 hours or more a week...
ive also had some rather crap tutors...
i think in most cases you get what you pay for

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
i've never been in one, and doing better than people that thinks i should go to tutoring.

it's their wat of thinking that effort = result. They try to do even more work by going to tutoring. they end up working hard :(

i used to go to piano tutoring, does that count? :)

Lugia

I don't believe in turtoring. Take 4 u maths for example, I'm the only one in the class who don't do any turtoring and I think I'm gonna come second or third in the class. I mean, I look at all my friends, and all I see is that their turtor gives them LOTS of exercise... and I can get that myself just by going and buying a book. And I don't see what's so good about learning everying earlier in turtoring then anyone else. I mean u have to work doubly as hard and u might end up getting very confused.

Well these are my thoughts anyway ;) :cool:

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
Originally posted by Lugia
I don't believe in turtoring. Take 4 u maths for example, I'm the only one in the class who don't do any turtoring and I think I'm gonna come second or third in the class. I mean, I look at all my friends, and all I see is that their turtor gives them LOTS of exercise... and I can get that myself just by going and buying a book. And I don't see what's so good about learning everying earlier in turtoring then anyone else. I mean u have to work doubly as hard and u might end up getting very confused.

Well these are my thoughts anyway ;) :cool:
i don't really think its got that much to do with your level of intelligence, i think its also to do with your motivation, and how your work..
ie some people dont work well from books, aren't visual learners... , some work better from listening to other people ie auditory learners..
and yeah.. thats my opinion
also if your teacher at school doesn't teach the style you like a tutor can help ... its all relative..

AiMz

HSC
haha i have tutoring for math, english, and physics...they ended up costing around $1000

Lee

enlgish for an hour and maths for an hours a week $100
i don't nee the tutoring for maths, I THINK I DO IT JUST FIOR SECURITY.(oops, not meant to be in caps but i can't be bothered to change it)
the english i probnly don't need wither....i could ask my teacher instead....but it is good to have a different perspective on my workl

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Stop getting extra help you evil people!!!

j/k

:)

Ac (can I borrow about $500 a month from anyone??)

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
i dont get tutoring.. not that i dont believe in it tho..
tutoring is not pop. here.. as for i dont live in syd... no one really cares here.. thats the thing.. :rolleyes:

Morgues

I got a maths tutor once a week and I am pissed off at the money we are wasting on him however my parents wont accept any arguments

Those people with $100 worth of tutors every week, it will accumulate in excess of $5000 during the year.......not really worth it in my opinion

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
I just have one for 3u maths 'n its $35 for an hour once a week... he's really good plus my school teacher is just uff... doing what my school teacher told me to do positioned me 8th 'n doing things my tutor's way positioned me 1st...I understand his method of teaching much more.

I dont' understand how people say they don't "believe" in tuition. It's not a religious faith thing in that you believe in it or not, it can really help as luigi said if you've got shit teachers etc..

I'm lookin for a Physics one at the moment...anyone know of someone good 'n relatively cheap? :D

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Originally posted by SkAnDi
I really can't name any "asian" at my school who DOESNT go to tutoring actually. Seems to be a big thing in that crowd.
Hey, it's the entire Juku / Cram-school thing they usually have over in (for example) Japan. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

I usually have an hour-a-week thing going with my tutor ($20 an hour). I've stepped it up to two sessions a week for the next 4 weeks. #8D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Before rushing out for tutors, try and see if u can teach yourself from various textbooks
thats what I'm doing now, since I thought about a physics tutor, but then I bought a couple of extra texts and I seem to be picking it all up myself

SkAnDi

HSC
The funny thing is, i have more fun at tutoring and the people there than i have at school.

Most of my tutoring was in classes of abotu 25 or so, the tutor was eccentric but funny and we still learnt.

I'm actually going to miss tutoring I think!

HSC
I used to tutoring, in years 5-8 and years 11-12. I stop about a few months ago and I'm glad, cos I can work things out for myself.

I find that alot of the time the tutors that I go to are really crap. Especially at North Shore, or even James An. The teachers for some reason can't teach and can't keep the class interested.

At one point I had a private tutor for 2u maths (I'm an asian who sucks at maths :eek: ), and it cost like $50 an hour, it wasn't really worth it cos he was used to teaching people who were more intelligent in maths than me (i.e. 3u and 4u people, usually in private schools), so he'd give me exercises I couldn't do and he taught me too quickly, so I couldn't keep up.

Anyways I reckon tutoring can be worth it, but it all depends on the tutor you get....

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
i hate tuition.

i have to do maths tuition, i started about 3 weeks before trials. before that my parents were full against tuition cos they think it's all BS and a waste of time (which it is)

but then i screwed up maths, and the deal was that if i was gonna drop all my sciences, i had to go to tuition for maths.

so not working though, i go there, and all i do is try and not fall asleep. it's _that_ boring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)