What is everyones thoughts on the ADF's sponsored undergraduate scheme? (1 Viewer)

golfpro

HSC
N/A
Get payed around 32 K a year to study, damn thatd be great, you could go to college and have everything u ever wanted, plus a guarenteed job after your degree on a salary of 55k approx.

Anyone considered this, are atually doing it, ect etc.

The only problem for me is u have to remain in the force for 4 years if ur degree was 3 years, and 5 years if ur degree was 4 yrs. Because i want to get first class honours and do a phd in astronomy.

I don't know how id aford uni without something like this scheme.

Everyones thoughts?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
(Don't tell the Sydney Uni SRC that you're thinking about it. They'll come to your house at night and beat you with sticks. They think the scheme is 'dis-GUST-ing'.)

golfpro

HSC
N/A
Triangulum said:
(Don't tell the Sydney Uni SRC that you're thinking about it. They'll come to your house at night and beat you with sticks. They think the scheme is 'dis-GUST-ing'.)
lol wtf, a bit random.

screw the src !! which i dont even know what it is.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
u get locked in after a year, im pretty sure you cant sign up as a fresher so even with honours/four yr degree

koube0530

HSC
It's a pretty alright deal. It sort of works out to be around 90k per year for 4 (or was it 5) years straight after you graduate. No jobs get those sort of figures. Since you get the money in advance, you could even invest and make money in the 4 years you study.

golfpro

HSC
N/A
koube0530 said:
It's a pretty alright deal. It sort of works out to be around 90k per year for 4 (or was it 5) years straight after you graduate. No jobs get those sort of figures. Since you get the money in advance, you could even invest and make money in the 4 years you study.
yeah true, never thought of it like that ! lol

while all these other sukkas have to fork out all there uni fees and struggle to survive. :) lol

xoa

HSC
I thought about joining the ADF as a sponsored undergrad (radiography). I called their info line, and the telemarketers couldn't tell me anything useful, but they conned me into booking an assessment day.

I went to their assessment day. Took a day off uni and spent about 7 hours sitting around their recruitment centre. I'm fortunate my ass didn't get pressure sores. The operation reminded me of when I applied for a casual job at Coles a few years ago. Two days later, I received a rude letter from the ADF saying that I (supposedly) didn't turn up. I rearranged my busy schedule to suit them, and they couldn't even anknowledge my existence.

So I called my "recruiter" and thanked him for demonstrating how incompetent the ADF is. The next week, I got a acceptance letter for a scholarship from Queensland Heath (which admittedly has its own problems). ADF's recruitment agents (Manpower Incorporated) still spam my inbox though.

Don't join the Australian military unless you have an insatiable desire to serve your nation, or have no other choice.

Theodosius

HSC
I don't think that is a fair assessment of the system at all. I also was toying with the idea of getting an undergraduate sponsorship. The defence forces were nothing but professional. The first recruiters you talk to are just manpower (I think) employees, with not much of an idea about the various uni degrees under the sponsorship system- who can blame them? They booked me in for my JOES, went without a hitch. Were very helpful & understanding when I moved across the state. They kept in regular contact, kept me up to date. My recruiter was always very helpful, had heaps of info for me. The assessmant day was no drama. Booked for the OSB, but decided I didn't want to tie myself down for so long after uni. They were understanding, and still tried to change my mind.

It is an excellent system, but only for suitable people. If you can't deal with sitting down & listening to people speak for a bit, I don't think you're cut out for the military :p!

Tiffanys

Executed member
HSC
Theodosius said:
I don't think that is a fair assessment of the system at all.

It is an excellent system, but only for suitable people. If you can't deal with sitting down & listening to people speak for a bit, I don't think you're cut out for the military :p!
totally agree.

xoa

HSC
Theodosius said:
The defence forces were nothing but professional.
[...]

Maybe it runs smoother in NSW.

Here in Brisbane, I estimate that I spent a total of 2 hours (maximum) doing testing/listening, and a full 5 hours sitting in the lobby - staring blankly at the furniture and occasionally making small talk with other applicants (one girl was a medical student from the Gold Coast, and she seemed as irritated as I was).

I agree that the actual ADF staff are better than the Manpower telemarketers/secretaries. But even my ADF recruiter (a sergeant) got on my nerves - he expected me to "sell myself", while I wanted information.

Kids straight from highschool might tolerate that kind of treatment, but they'll have to do better if they want to recruit medical or engineering professionals.

HJD

HSC
I've been thinking about this scheme as a way to avoid my uni scheduele conflicting with work. Unfortunately, I have to work to pay my bills and when I heard about this scheme I thought it would be a great way just to focus on Uni as work really screwed me around. I have always considered joining the ADF since I was a kid, but over the last few years it didn't really cross my mind. But thinking about it more and more makes a lot of sense.

So far I have spoken to the people on the phone, who were pretty helpful and had more of an idea than what people on here suggest. I do have to sit a YOU session though to determine whether my particular degree (International Studies) is suitable and talk about a career path, which shall hopefully shed light on whether I am a) eligible and b) just how it all works.

I'll keep everyone posted, and give a bit more of detailed explination of the process for anyone else thinking about this.

takeyourpills

HSC
Just so there's some info from the inside here, I'm a recent NAVY undergraduate and I can tell you it is a pretty great deal. During your degree you don't have to do anything special, basically you become a professional student where your sole worry for the next couple of years is to pass your subjects! Even if you happen to fail one, its not the end of the world. Your HECS (or HELP fees as I believe they're called now) are covered as well as all your compulsory text-books. Another thing that is not mentioned much is the rental assistance they give you. As an example, I live with a uni mate in the city, and for the first $250 of my share of the rent, I only have to pay $75 (the ADF pays the rest!) and I pay whatever else on top of that myself if I get a more expensive place. You do NOT have to serve during your uni-holidays, we request trainee-leave which is unlimited (but serving a few weeks will be good experience and keep you focused on what lies ahead). Also, if you have to do an internship as part of your degree, you can do that with the ADF and it all gets organised for you.

As has been stated earlier, the Undergraduate scheme is NOT for everyone, and the lengthy application process sorts the dedicated from the rest. If you are interested, call 131901 and tell them you would like apply (or follow the links from the defence jobs website).

You need to have completed at least 1 year of your degree to be eligible for the Undergrad Scheme. (qualifying degrees include engineering, Law, medicine and a few others)
Salary is ROUGHLY $30k - 3 years to graduation, $35k - 2 years to graduation, $40k - 1 year to graduation, so your salary increases as you get closer to graduating.

Return of Service: After graduation and officer training, you serve for the number of years you were sponsored for + 1 year.
Don't look at this as a bad thing, its a guaranteed job with a great salary and you will be able to earn huge $$ in the future, as military training is VERY highly regarded by employers.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Maybe it runs smoother in NSW.

Here in Brisbane, I estimate that I spent a total of 2 hours (maximum) doing testing/listening, and a full 5 hours sitting in the lobby - staring blankly at the furniture and occasionally making small talk with other applicants (one girl was a medical student from the Gold Coast, and she seemed as irritated as I was).

I agree that the actual ADF staff are better than the Manpower telemarketers/secretaries. But even my ADF recruiter (a sergeant) got on my nerves - he expected me to "sell myself", while I wanted information.

Kids straight from highschool might tolerate that kind of treatment, but they'll have to do better if they want to recruit medical or engineering professionals.
mate you are supposed to sell yourself lol
its a competitive position
do you go to all your job interviews looking for information?

you are joining them, not the other way around

Kralex

HSC
yeah and so what if you die out there takeyourpills?

I don't think being dead is highly regarded by employers.

takeyourpills

HSC
yeah and so what if you die out there takeyourpills?

I don't think being dead is highly regarded by employers.
Being a smartass isn't well regarded by ANY employers sunshine.

Just so you all know, your HSC or UAI isn't the be-all and end-all. If you don't / didn't go as well as you wanted to, never fear. What IS important is how you perform at uni. Its a VERY different learning style to school and you are responsible for your OWN learning - you're not spoon fed. To do well at uni you need to be very pro-active and dedicated, things move along quickly. Also a fail is NOT the end of the world, provided you show that you're taking steps to strengthen your weaknesses - a Distinction or High Distinction the next time through that subject should be enough to prove that.

Things that your Defence interviewers and Officer Selection Boards will focus on:

RECORD OF TEAM INVOLVEMENT
If you haven't recently been involved in a team sport, START NOW! Rugby, Soccer, basketball, Cricket.... anything!
Any employment in a team environment (even McDonalds) is a plus too.

RECORD OF LEADERSHIP
Any work history that has involved responsibility, management, School/House captain, Prefect.... Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme is a plus too, as would being Captain of a sporting team.

The MAIN thing to remember is that through the Undergraduate Scheme, you are becoming an OFFICER. Whether you're going to be an Engineer, Pilot, Doctor, Lawyer or Nurse, your PRIMARY responsibility is as an OFFICER. This means that you are a Manager / Coach / Role Model. This wasn't very clear to me when I first started the application process but you quickly realise they are looking at YOU, NOT your academic record. They are looking at the type of person you are, and if you have what it takes to lead.

As stated before it is not for everyone, but for those who have what it takes it is a fantastic career that gives you the opportunity to achieve far more than you could ever imagine in the civilian world. Whether Navy, Army or Air Force, you can travel around the world while getting amazing pay and benefits, and the training you receive is second to none.

Last edited:

bp_123

HSC
I thought about joining the ADF as a sponsored undergrad (radiography). I called their info line, and the telemarketers couldn't tell me anything useful, but they conned me into booking an assessment day.

I went to their assessment day. Took a day off uni and spent about 7 hours sitting around their recruitment centre. I'm fortunate my ass didn't get pressure sores. The operation reminded me of when I applied for a casual job at Coles a few years ago. Two days later, I received a rude letter from the ADF saying that I (supposedly) didn't turn up. I rearranged my busy schedule to suit them, and they couldn't even anknowledge my existence.

So I called my "recruiter" and thanked him for demonstrating how incompetent the ADF is. The next week, I got a acceptance letter for a scholarship from Queensland Heath (which admittedly has its own problems). ADF's recruitment agents (Manpower Incorporated) still spam my inbox though.

Don't join the Australian military unless you have an insatiable desire to serve your nation, or have no other choice.
Mate,

You're wanting to be a radiographer... You aren't exactly Special Forces - DFR (and the wider ADF) have better things to do than listen to whining civvies. Put up (with the recruitment process) or shutup (about the recruitment process).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)